The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back 30 years ago when horse conch WERE still plentiful here in SoFla, I caught one and made my yummy conch chowder recipe. It was dreadful.

Yes, Queen Conch were still plentiful and legal at that time.

Horse conchs are rare and not edible.

I think we need to cut some slack here, a Google search is revealing lots of recipes for Horse Conch and it also says Horse Conch eat other conch so taking them actually benefits the Queen Conch here in S FL because Horse Conch eat them.

Conch Shells - Spearboard Spearfishing Community

OK then, I stand corrected (although I almost never see them and I am a frequent diver).

However, I'd like to point out that Wilz' reply to me was incredibly rude.

Spearboard Spearfishing Community - View Single Post - Conch Shells

FredT:
Horse conch is edible, but has to be prepared a lot like abalone. Skin it, slice it thin, beat the hell out of it, then lightly cook. I've also used it in chowder and fritters after multiple passes through a meat grinder. A big horse gives up a chunk of meat about twice the size of your fist.

I'll take them in areas with severely depleted queen and helmet conch populations to help them rebuild.

We've also eaten fighting and helmet conch. The only conch I'm certain you DO NOT want to eat is milk conch. Milk conch makes the purgatives given before a session with the protoscope seem almost pleasant.

OK then, I stand corrected (although I almost never see them and I am a frequent diver).
However, I'd like to point out that Wilz' reply to me was incredibly rude.

I apologize. That was way out of character for me. I lost it when it was suggested that I may have done something both irresponsible and illegal. As an instructor, dive shop owner and dive operator I am very serious about my work with reef rescue, coral habitat protection and conservation of our precious resources. I could not be any more contrite about this matter. This will be on my mind as I teach my OW class this evening. Please forgive my knee-jerk reaction.

If Fred Tagge wrote, I believe it :)

Yea, thats why I made sure to attribute the source...

I apologize. That was way out of character for me. I lost it when it was suggested that I may have done something both irresponsible and illegal. As an instructor, dive shop owner and dive operator I am very serious about my work with reef rescue, coral habitat protection and conservation of our precious resources. I could not be any more contrite about this matter. This will be on my mind as I teach my OW class this evening. Please forgive my knee-jerk reaction.

Apology accepted. :wink:

Can you tell us where you see them in great quantity? I don't want any, I'm just curious. I sometimes dive in Palm Beach County but mostly Pompano down to the Keys. I rarely see ANY type of live conch on a dive.

I dove Cay Sal Banks this summer and saw thousands of live Queen Conch, but I don't recall seeing any horse conch.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom