The Boynton Dive Chronicles (new and improved)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have the temps warmed up lately? The last I saw in this thread was 80 degrees but I had an email today from my instructor who claims to be diving in a skin so I'm hoping for higher. :wink:

I was registering 82 on the bottom for the dives yesterday.... It was cloudy in the morning, so no help warming up from the sun. I was diving a 3mm and fine all day. Brian dove a skin, but he has significanlty more bioprene than the two of us....

-Tim

I logged 4 hours 42 minutes on OC, beating the CCR guys by at least 25 minutes :D

Ummmm,... 4:38 for me.... And I would have had 25 more if you hadn't ditched Terri and I......

Ummmm,... 4:38 for me.... And I would have had 25 more if you hadn't ditched Terri and I......

I guess you guys did extra safety stops :lotsalove:

Hmmm, two things come to mind:
One of your quotes: "The person with the flag is never lost" (and I had the flag) :11:
And the group who "ditched" you dove on the ledge (instead of Sandy Acres) :wink:

I hope Kev's pics of the shark that came looking for Onespeed come out :)

I am always freezing on dives, but I was plenty warm enough yesterday with a skin and a baggy, ancient, loose, wetsuit top.

What a GREAT day yesterday...Kevin and Alex, it's always a pleasure diving with you; your backyard is so awesome...as they say, "I'll be back!"

Thx Tim and Debby! I'll bring the 1mm and 3mm full suit but just might leave the tunic at home.

Tim, are you still planning on coming diving with us on the wknd? I'm not sure where yet, but Lesley is aiming for somewhere between Boynton and Miami...

I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for your dive report from this weekend! Did you just throw the rebreathers in the drink at sunrise and come back at sunset to pick them up????

Oh, baby! What a fun weekend!
Saturday started out a little bit choppy, maybe 2-4', which caused a little sickness in the morning. Mother nature smiled on us down below though, because even though the water was pointed and unclear, there was lots of cool stuff. As the day went on, the waves dropped of a bit.

We did four dives, The Castor, Delray Ledge (sort of), The Capt. Tony, and Black Condo. Viz was about 35-40' all day long. We had a pretty stout current rolling north on the Castor, then a slight south current partway through the Delray ledge, switching to a slight north about halfway through and remaining slight north for the Tony and Black Condo.

The coolest part of my dive on the Castor was when a 9 or 10' pale colored shark came flying into the cargo hold through the blow out. It was so pale it was as if it was glowing. I was inside, just aft of the break. He zoomed in, turned and saw me, hit the brakes and coasted by, then zoomed out again. I snapped a picture, even though my camera wasn't set up yet. On my camera monitor it was all black but I was hopeful that I could pull out an image in photoshop that was good enough to ID it, or at least to prove that I saw it. Oddly enough, the photoshop worked pretty well, but no shark! Creepy.

ghostshark.jpg

The eerie and supernatural ghost shark photo.

Next we did the Delray Ledge. This was actually kind of a mess, which I apologize for. We somehow failed to realize that there was, instead of a hard north current a slight south current and dropped everyone on the southern tip of a reef. Luckily everyone was very experienced on this trip and handled it very well. Eventually, about 30 minutes into the dive the current was going north again. Highlights from Delray were the giant and tame hogfish that swam three feet away from me for half an hour, and the raccoon butterflyfish.

Deepstopshogsnapper.jpg

Brian illuminates the giant but tame hog.
Delrayraccoonbutterfly.jpg

Here's the raccoon butterfly-fish. I couldn't get very close to him without sending him into a hole.

Next was the Captain Tony. I think this was my favorite dive of the day. The current was downright pleasant. The resident Goliath groupers were hanging out. Debby diver swam for a long time with one of them and Net Mage, Packet Sniffer and I ran into Big Momma in the engine room. She was pretty mellow. The sun came out and Tas found a golden crowned sea goddess!
goldcrownedseagoddes.jpg

The golden crowned sea goddess.

The final dive for Saturday was on one of my favorites, Black Condo. There were nurse sharks and eels and fish mating everywhere. I think we can expect to hear the pitter patter of little fins before too long here in south Florida. Someone found a gold spotted eel, which I think I may have accidentally cooked with my strobe. I toned it down a bit in photoshop, but it's still pretty burnt.

goldspot.jpg

The gold spotted eel.

Here's the look of a dive boat owner who's about to get paid. Thanks for everything Kev! You're doing an awesome operation out of Boynton Beach.

Attachments

• Kev.JPG
    Kev.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Kev2.JPG
    Kev2.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 68
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom