The check is in the mail

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats

Just gotta turn in my paperwork and I am right behind ya in Number.

Congratulations Jupitermermaid. I guess that means that you can lead me on my dives when I come down to visit and address that pesky issue of your neighbour :D. Seriously though, congratulations. I am sure you worked very hard for it and will be a great DM.

Patiently waiting :blinking: And thanks. I did work hard and will continue to do so (taking and passing a test doesn't mean you know everything you need to know....I want to improve on those weak areas I feel I have).

Jupitermaid, Thanks a lot. This will help. I still do one air table problem every other day with a nitrox one in between just so it's always on the tip of my tongue, especially should the computer fail. Takes about a minute a day. Sounds silly after 100 dives, but I have a bad memory. I also keep studying the course books daily. Your info. will really help should I decide to do the DM. My LDS owner says the pay is $200 per OW course and DMs "get paid for other stuff". Sounds better than some of the reports I got on my "Pay" thread. TH

I also have CRS syndrome, so I feel for you. You're smart to keep praticing.....that's what I want to do with the formulas so it becomes ingrained.

's okay...once you're done with it, seems to all lump together...until you go through it again for IDC....then again for IE.....then again for IDC Staff....then again for Course Director.....and however many times you get to teach it to DM Candidates....and IDC Candidates.....:D

Thanks....that's encouraging.....:shocked2: It's also a great way to remember! You learn more by teaching than by doing, so I've been told.
Congrats! :D

I am in the middle of it right now - will "graduate" in about three weeks, if I can ever get my map project buddies all available on the same day......

The timed 400m swim really sucks......

Michael

The practical stuff was the easiest for me. I used to swim a mile a day for exercise, so the 400m wasn't too bad. The biggest difference was that it was in the ocean instead of a pool. Good luck with the next three weeks. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Yay! Now will it be YOU leading some of the dives with JDC?

Yes!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

For the 400M swim required--What is the minimum time needed (am an old guy)? I assume it is without fins....

For the 400M swim required--What is the minimum time needed (am an old guy)? I assume it is without fins....

I know the swim is timed, and you'll be graded from 1-5 depending on how long it takes, but I don't know the minimum time. Anybody here know? You're right about the fins. You can't wear them for the swim. The best advice I can give you besides starting slowly now to build up your endurance, is that when the time finally comes to do it, don't start off as if you're in a race. Pace yourself for the long haul and don't think about the time....just try to enjoy a nice (long) swim. If you think of the time or try to push it, you'll become anxious, tire yourself out, and make it harder to complete.

Here is an excerpt from a series of articles I wrote for our shop newsletter on becoming a Divemaster:

You are required to do 4 individual swim tests, and you must score at least 12 points in total (all 4 swims together) in order to be successful. You earn anywhere from 1 to 5 points on each swim, depending on your performance. The first is the 400 yard swim. Simply swim 400 yards, using any stroke you wish, or combination of strokes, without stopping and without any swimming aids. This is just swimming laps in the pool, or a designated distance in open water. Swim hard, swim slow, alternate between the two or however you like, but finish before 10 minutes and earn a 3. The next evaluation is a 15 minute tread. In any water too deep to stand in, tread water for 15 minutes, with your hands out of the water for the last 2. Do this, and it's an easy 5! Remember, it's just hands out of the water for the last 2 minutes so don't make it harder than it has to be. The 800 yard snorkel swim is next. You will probably do this on open water unless you have easy access to an Olympic size pool for laps. You use your mask, fins, and snorkel. The key to this one is a great snorkel. A large bore without any restrictions (like valves that close when you submerge) will serve you well. Finish this swim in less than 17 minutes and you have another 3. The final evaluation is a Tired Diver Tow. Pick a small diver and use your choice of tows: pull or push. The push is for most the fastest way to go. Go 100 yards in less than 4 minutes and you've got another 3. For all of these swims, the faster you go the better your score and you can earn 4 or 5 points in each if you're in good enough shape, but what I've listed above is an average and will get you the required 12 points you need

LOL.....I remember when we were doing the snorkel part I saw a batfish 9 ft. below. I almost dove under to get a better look and check him out, but then remembered I was on a task (a little ADHD here....lol). Focusing on the task at hand but also enjoying yourself while doing the skills helps alleviate stress that comes along with knowing you're being "tested." Just as good form while diving is important to reducing task loading and contributing to your air consumption rate, using good form to cut through the surface water performing the swimming and snorkeling skills will also help prevent inertial lag and get you through the task faster and be less tireing than rolling your body all over the place. Stay tight and trim bodily-wise to reduce water resistance, breathe long, slow breaths to keep you from hyperventilating and don't think about the timing. You can always do it again if you don't make it the first time. The most important part of this course is to ENJOY it as much as possible, while you are learning the skills and knowledge necessary to be a good divemaster.

Here it is. Just some tests to make sure you are a reasonalbe swimmer, in reasonable shape, considering people's lives are in your hands. Apparantly the good news is you don't have to do it again for the instructors course.

Stamina Exercise 1: 400 Metre/Yard Swim

The candidate must swim 400 metres/yards without stopping using no

swimming aids and using any stroke or combination of strokes desired.

If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

400 yards 400 metres

Time Points Time

under 6 min 5 under 6 min, 30 sec

6 to 8 min 4 6 min, 30 sec to 8 min, 40 sec

8 to 10 min 3 8 min, 40 sec to 11 min

10 to 12 min 2 11 to 13 min

more than 12 min 1 more than 13 min

stopped incomplete stopped

Stamina Exercise 2: 15 Minute Tread

Using no aids and wearing only a swimsuit, the candidate will stay

afloat by treading water, drown proofing, bobbing or floating for 15

minutes, with hands (not arms) out of the water during the last 2 minutes.

A candidate with a physical challenge that makes it difficult/impossible

to hold hands out of the water is exempted from that portion

of the exercise with no effect on the score.

Criteria Points

Performed satisfactorily 5

Stayed afloat, but hands not out of water entire 2 minutes 3

Used side/bottom for momentary support no more than twice 1

Used side/bottom for support more than twice incomplete

Stamina Exercise 3: 800 Metre/Yard Snorkel Swim

Using a mask, fins, snorkel and swimsuit only (no BCD or flotation

aids) and swimming with the face in the water, the candidate must

swim nonstop for 800 metres/yards. The candidate may not use arms

to swim, unless the candidate has a physical challenge that limits leg

use and arm-swimming is the individualÃÔ normal swimming method

while diving. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must be repeated.

800 yards 800 metres

Time Points Time

under 13 min 5 under 14 min

13 to 15 min 4 14 to 16 min, 30 sec

15 to 17 min 3 16 min, 30 sec to 18 min, 30 sec

17 to 19 min 2 18 min, 30 sec to 21 min

more than 19 min 1 more than 21 min

Stamina Exercise 4: 100 Metres/Yard Inert Diver Tow

Wearing full scuba equipment, the candidate must push or tow an inert

diver in full scuba at the surface 100 metres/yards nonstop without

assistance. Note that this is a swimming power evaluation (speed-against-drag)

not a rescue evaluation. If a candidate stops, the exercise is incomplete and must

be repeated.

100 yards 100 metres

Time Points Time

under 2 min 5 under 2 min, 10 sec

2 to 3 min 4 2 min, 10 sec to 3 min, 15 sec

3 to 4 min 3 3 min, 15 sec to 4 min, 20 sec

4 to 5 min 2 4 min, 20 sec to 5 min, 30 sec

more than 5 min 1 more than 5 min, 30 sec

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom