The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went snorkeling this morning on the west side of the BHB. I got in the water around 10:40am and got out around 12:30pm or so. The current was strong (high tide was around 11:55am) and visibility was great. Bunches of folks were getting in the water as I exited.

I got to see a family of 12 manatees cruising north literally around the corner from where folks enter the water under the main bridge. It couldn't have been more than 6 ft. deep there. The pack was moving slowly and passed within 4-6 feet of me. I counted 4 small and 8 adults. The biggest ones in the front were pretty beefy. I'm 6 ft., 190lbs and the big 'un looked right at me and probably thought: Sweeeeet, Italian salami for an appetizer.

They were moving slowly, slightly faster than the current, and didn't seem fazed at my presence in the least. Pretty cool! I considered letting the current take me and floating alongside them but I quickly came to my senses. I have no ideal what these animals do when threatened and I decided not to find out this morning.

The sun was shining when I got onto shore. Imagine that.

I have seen manatees in the exact same area a couple of times. Pretty awesome sight!

WOW You must be a strong swimmer to keep up with them :D
I'm exhausted from watching them race around like that but I did like the balancing act of the gold lined sea goddess I give it a 10 (or at this time a gold medal)

My best manatee shot today I only saw one but saw it 3 different times It was huge & swam right up to me
View attachment 72477

That is a great photo!

Dove today... Great vis at the beginning of the dive that deteriorated with the outgoing tide

Beginning
wreck_1002214.jpg

wreck_1002213.jpg

wreck_1002212.jpg

eagleray_1002212.jpg

End of the dive
manatee_1002214.jpg

manatee_1002215.jpg

manatee_1002211.jpg

manatee_1002213.jpg

eagleray_1002211.jpg

You can see the difference in vis

Yeah, it was great vis at that time and I had the right settings from the picture before... everything fell into place for that one to happen

Dove today... Great vis at the beginning of the dive that deteriorated with the outgoing tide

Beginning
wreck_1002214.jpg

eagleray_1002212.jpg

You can see the difference in vis

I love the blue water in the eagleray shot. I haven't been to that wreck in awhile & I don't remember that many fish so I'll have to check it out. I didn't see any manatees today so thanks for sharing & love the little yellow jawfish. Looks like you had a great dive

I love the blue water in the eagleray shot. I haven't been to that wreck in awhile & I don't remember that many fish so I'll have to check it out. I didn't see any manatees today so thanks for sharing & love the little yellow jawfish. Looks like you had a great dive

Is this boat at the BHB? If so could you tell me about where?
Thnx

If I am not mistaken, the pontoon boat is tied off to it (if not, it is to the south of the pontoon boot that is always there and another boat is tied off to it)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom