The Cozumel Marine park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi

PADI MSDT/Former CZM Dive op owner
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Second maybe the people who live and work in Cozumel might get the marine park officials to actually do their job and monitor the illegal fishing that goes on INSIDE the marine park. You know the boats that are out every morning down south?
Try dealing with those issues before you move on to others....

Interesting that you brought this up because myself and others brought it up in the Marine park course last night. The conversation became a little heated in fact and some hard questions were thrown at the marine park Assistant Director.

My complaint was actually about certain dive boats that routinely troll in the park on their way back from dives as well as the poaching that goes on at night/early morning by the "illegal" fisherman. I say "illegal" fishermen because the fishermen doing this are not part of the organized fishing union nor do they have any fishing licenses/permits to begin with...which is precisely why they are "hiding" at night.

What we learned is that the Marine Park is not a law enforcement agency so does not have the authority to fine or arrest those that are indulging in this practice. This comes down from the Federal level and has NOTHING to do with the wishes, desires, attempts at enforcement by the local park staff. HOWEVER:
  1. They are working closely with the Navy (Coast Guard) who DOES have authority to make arrests and fine violators
  2. They have a patrol boat out every night as of one month ago. They have a boat out from 6:00pm to midnight...another out from midnight to 4am...and another from 4am to 8am...then the regular boats are out during the day - if they see illegal activity going on, they contact the navy and they will respond immediately
  3. They are also working with the Harbor Master to enforce park rules

There has been so far one arrest. They seized all of their equipment and catch as well as arrested them and put them in jail.

The boundaries of the Marine park were also more clearly defined. It extends from Paradise reef around the southern tip of the island to Punta Molas (I may correct this detail later). It also extends out TWO NAUTICAL MILES from the shoreline. However, Sport fishing is allowed south of Palancar Caves in water 300 feet or deeper off the wall. The only boats permitted to fish in this area are those with permits to do so. It's important to note that the "legal" commercial fishermen (not Sport fishing charter boats) here are unionized and don't even fish locally...they fish in the Chinchorro area down south for the most part.

I know as well as anyone that the Marine park has a bad reputation, back from the days under Directorship of Elvira Carbajal Hinojosa. Her replacement, Robert Cudney tried to do many positive things, but did not have any support with teeth behind him. The new Marine Park Director has actually made some huge strides and changes...so people need to stop bringing up the past and realize what the marine park actually DOES do.

Despite what many believe (including local employees who are not actually the ones who pay the park fees for the operation) - the money DOES NOT go directly to the park offices here. It is paid to the Federal Government and then disbursed/allocated to ALL National parks (land based and marine parks) throughout the country.

Where does your $2 per day go at the local level?
  1. Research
  2. Monitoring reef health/development/species
  3. Permits and authorizations
  4. Educational programs and campaigns
  5. Training for park guides

There are many other things they do as well...I just can't remember everything off the top of my head.

No one wants change more than the staff of the local marine park. They are working aggressively to initiate change and to gain some sort of judicial power over the park...but they are up against the Federal Government. These people are passionate about the marine environment and know more than anyone that we have to do everything we can to preserve and protect our marine environment if it's going to be here for future generations to enjoy.

So the moral to this story is that the local Marine park is doing everything they can to initiate change and to do some GOOD. They have some GREAT ideas and some GREAT things already in the pipeline that already have budget approval...so I encourage everyone that has a sour taste in their mouth about the marine park to wash those thoughts away.

Dive guides and park officials ARE authorized to terminate diving privileges if the regulations are intentionally disobeyed and disrespected...they simply don't have the judicial power to arrest/fine anyone...although they CAN revoke operator permits for egregious violations.

A reminder of the park regulations which should be respected as guests...just like you respect someones house when you go to visit.

The Coral Reefs

The Cozumel Marine Park was established in 1996, and was created with the objectives of preserving, studying, and educating the community and visitors on marine life preservation.

The Marine Park includes the shoreline and reefs starting just south of the International pier and extending around the southern tip of the island to Islote.

As our guest you can help us to preserve the reef and marine wildlife conservation program by following a few basic rules:

It is Strictly Prohibited:

* To stand on, sit on, or take hold of the coral reef
* To fish for, to collect, to disturb, or to keep any marine organism found in the park (fish, corals, shells, winkles, starfish, etc.)
* To carry spears, hooks, harpoons or explosives
* To carry gloves or knives (Divemasters and instructors may register these items for use with the marine park for emergency purposes)
* To disturb or to remove fauna and flora from their refuges
* To feed any fish or animal in the marine park
* To dispose of any kind of solid waste in the ocean
* To dump fuel, grease, oil or any other liquid substance into the ocean
* To use sunblock or suntan oils which are not biodegradable

All dives within the marine park reserve are required to be led by a local and certified Divemaster or Instructor with Marine Park Credentials at a ratio not to exceed 8:1.

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding of these regulations set forth to protect our coral reef environment.

Your dive guide is authorized to enforce these rules and will, if necessary, interrupt, restrict, or terminate a dive if tourists in your group do not obey these rules.

Your courtesy in carefully following these rules will help ensure that our precious reefs, living organisms in their own right, will enjoy long and healthy lives. For your support and help, the people of Cozumel thank you!​

Disclaimer...this was a very abbreviated version of Marine park objectives/purpose/authority...but I think I hit the major points of contention with many naysayers of the Cozumel Marine Park.

Dive safe and enjoy your time in Cozumel both above and below the water!

Outstanding post!!!!

This thread should be made either its own "Sticky" or be put into the Cozumel F.A.Q. Sticky.

Signed. . . :fro:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom