The Dive Shop of the Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by ckharlan66
bengelsmgtsucks, (you need a shorter name)

I was thinking why don't you put a bar in the shop and have a daily happy hour. About 5-6 would be a good time.

Chad
Hey... that is a great idea!
And the DIR shops could have juice bars!

Uncle Pug,

I am in no way a big drinker (3-4 beers a month) but if DIR means I can't have that I will always be a stroke. (never before diving of course)

Chad

Chad--me thinks you are trying to break into BMS's wine collection. Sounds like a good idea!

Or how about Creatine cocktails, baby oil for those bulging muscles, and lifesize posters of Irvine and JJ for wallpaper.

Seriously though, do DIR shops only sell DIR gear? I doubt a shop could make it without catering to the rec (read as "stroke") market...that would be like 8-10% of a pretty small market to begin with. I can understand how EE does it online, but a stand alone shop would fail if it refused to sell stroke gear wouldn't it?

Originally posted by O-ring
Seriously though, do DIR shops only sell DIR gear?
Nope.... one of the premier DIR shops that gets plenty of publicity on this board has a small corner devoted to the DIR stuff... it is easy enough to find your way around all the split fins and BCs to get to it... just follow the drool marks on the carpet.

Anyway I suspect that a little cooler with some V8s in it would suffice for the DIR corner... a grill at the other end of the store where you could get a good cheese burger would keep the rest happy.

Man, I couldn't give up cheeseburgers for anything...if you are ever in VA look me up...I will take you somewhere even the DIRiest of DIR disciples cannot resist.

Originally posted by O-ring
Man, I couldn't give up cheeseburgers for anything...if you are ever in VA look me up...I will take you somewhere even the DIRiest of DIR disciples cannot resist.
I only eat vegetarian burgers....
Made from vegetarians....
I will look you up :D

Hmmm... we often joke about what we go through more at my LDS, beer during the week, or gas during the weekend... (it's close...)

But, this has brung up a good point. you can't hang at with people at online shops. you can't meet people who have been places and done things you haven't at online shops. you can't learn valuable lessons from others at online shops. you can't begin to form dreams that you will accualy take real pride in accomplishing one day at online shops.

I do truly beleive (despite my earlier planet of the apes world type post) that LDS's go through tough times, but they will be the same as every other small buisness's tough times. some will fail, new ones will pop up, some old ones will press on... LDS's will not go away. go to yours tomorrow and buy something, even if it is just a sticker or a AA flashlight. on the way home, you will probably realize that you learned something by osmosis...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

I only eat vegetarian burgers....
Made from vegetarians....

Okay, I'm never diving with you. Staying close to your buddy is good. Staying close to your buddy so you can stick them in the mincing machine afterwards is not good!

:eek:uttahere

Returning to the previously scheduled broadcast... the whole business of dive shops offering cheap training and then balancing the books by increasing the margins on gear always strikes me as unfortunate. How objective is their advice going to be? Are they ever going to recommend a brand they don't carry, even if they suspect it would work better for a particular individual? I'm willing to pay a premium for good advice, but is that what people are getting?

Z

Originally posted by Zept
Okay, I'm never diving with you. Staying close to your buddy is good. Staying close to your buddy so you can stick them in the mincing machine afterwards is not good!
:eek:uttahere
Cows Zept.... Vegetarian Cows....
And I really don't think I have had a burger for....
Shoot, I can't even remember back that far anymore....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom