The food at Hotel Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been sick twice. The first time was my first trip (95) and I made the mistake of eating from a bicycle based canteen wagon which came to the dive shop where I was hanging out with everyone. That wasn't a biggie, but it did upset my stomach at dinner enough that I had to head back to the room rather quickly & unexpectedly. The second time was 3 trips ago & was the result (in my opinion) of eating 4 very spicy meals in a row, which was very new to my eating habits. I've showered at every resort I've stayed at and I'm sure some water entered my mouth & none of it has been an issue that I'm aware of. Using the bottled water & staying hydrated is a good plan but I think street vendors are also using bottled or purified water these days so I'm not to worried by them anymore. At Hotel Coz they give you a free bottle to start with, but it's up to you to refill it from the different cooler bottle stations in the halls. We always bring some Rubbermaid 16 oz drink bottles, and I usually have one for juice that I fill while at breakfast & take with me on the dive trips.

We have brushed our teeth with the tap water all 3 trips without incident, and my wife also has a very sensitive stomach.

I've stayed at some AIs and non AIs on Cozumel. Both have their upside. I've found the breakfasts and lunches to be fine, but the dinners are usually disappointing. The lunches always seem to have fresh grilled fish and that's hard to beat. If you add up what you'd spend for breakfast, lunch and a half dozen beverages per day I think it will still be a savings over paying for everythink a la carte. You are close enough to town to go in for your dinners by walking or a cheap taxi ride. The one down sided to eating all of your breakfasts and lunches at the resort, is that you are always in the same restaurant or two.

Cozumel is very safe, I walked all over the city by myself, both day and night and never had a problem.

Have fun!

PH

I've stayed at some AIs and non AIs on Cozumel. Both have their upside. I've found the breakfasts and lunches to be fine, but the dinners are usually disappointing. The lunches always seem to have fresh grilled fish and that's hard to beat. If you add up what you'd spend for breakfast, lunch and a half dozen beverages per day I think it will still be a savings over paying for everythink a la carte. You are close enough to town to go in for your dinners by walking or a cheap taxi ride. The one down sided to eating all of your breakfasts and lunches at the resort, is that you are always in the same restaurant or two.

Cozumel is very safe, I walked all over the city by myself, both day and night and never had a problem.

Have fun!

PH

Wyndham has like five different restaurants and the food is really good if you avoid the buffet.

We have been to Hotel Cozumel over a dozen times and always do the AI plan. You'll get your pesos worth just with breakfast and drinks. Our dive shop picks us up by 7:30 so we don't really have time to go anywhere for breakfast and there are no refrigerators in the rooms. Coffee is usually ready about 6:30 AM (Cozumel time) but there are also coffee makers in the rooms.

Lunch is a buffet usually on the ocean side restaurant. If you don't like what's on the buffet at lunch you can always get a grilled burger, fish and usually chicken or pork. The grilled fish is awesome. There is also a snack bar by the pool that has things like chicken nuggets, French fries, pizza already cooked. Not what most of us go to Cozumel to eat, but they seem to be a big hit with the little kids playing around and in the pool and it's probably pretty convenient for the parents since they don't have to get up and go feed them. You can also get the burgers/fish at the snack bar. FYI…the birds that hang around the pool love the French fries.

Dinner is another buffet. I would imagine it is pretty much like most AI's, but you can also order from the menu. Their chili relleno beat the heck out of La Choza's. My opinion….if you eat the buffet and say you can't find anything to eat, then you are just way too picky.

As far as getting sick, I was a little one time when we stayed at Casa Del Mar and ate most of our meals in town and some at their restaurant. My husband got sick a few years ago when we were staying at Hotel Cozumel. In both cases, we have no idea what it was that made us sick, if it was food at the hotels or in town. His stomach is a little more sensitive than mine and he usually avoids the pico de gallo and has no problems. You can have stomach trouble here in the states traveling, also. It isn’t just a "Mexico thing."

I know you can get a breakfast only option, but even if you eat lunch and dinner in town, you'd still be paying for your drinks at the hotel, so I would think it would be cheaper to do the AI plan. For us, it's just convenient and we get lazy on vacation. It is nice to come back from diving and have lunch, then go to the room for a shower and siesta. Also nice to not have to keep money with you at the hotel or keep up with how much you spend. Like I said, if you don't see anything on the buffet you want, ask to see the menu. There is one for dinner I know and one trip they weren't doing the buffet at lunch, it was menu only. I think it probably depends on how many people they have staying at the hotel.

For the past 13 years all my traveling has been to Vegas and Aruba. This is my first venture to somewhere else besides those 2 places in 13 years!
you guys are sure making me anxious... LIke a kid before xmas! It's going to be a LOOOOONG 2 weeks till I leave! (which I just found out is an 8am flight meaning get to Kennedy by 5am...
Then returning 11/7 at midnight!

Wyndham has like five different restaurants and the food is really good if you avoid the buffet.

Yes, but most AI's always serve breakfast in the same restaurant, the buffet. Usually lunch is in the same buffet and maybe one other location my the beach or pool. The other restaurants are for dinner.

PH

Several years ago there was an incident at the Hotel Coz that was the result of a chef not rinsing some food correctly. Once the source of the illness was pinpointed, and this happened quickly, he was gone. FAST. My wife and I have lead trips there 11 or 12 times over the last 6 or 7 years, and while the AI food is predictable, it is of good quality and quantity. We have never had an incident, other than one who forgot and brushed his teeth in the room sink with tap water. The food and the services of the hotel have gotten progressively better over the years, and the only issue that remains is the water in the room taps...get it on you but not in you. Bottled water is provided, and all the water used in the restaurant for rinsing, cooking, ice and drinks is filtered and is ok for American digestive systems. Parrotthead Diver is correct - order hot and fresh off the grill, and try to be in line early for the omlettes. They make an effort to provide attractive, tasty food with good service and a bright atmosphere. Usually they do a great job. Enjoy!

My daughter and I just got back yesterday from our fourth trip to Coz, we've stayed at Hotel Coz and went AI each time. I would agree (and echo) with everything in this post.

Did Hotel Coz for the first time this September. B/F was included with the room and some fresh fruit from the B/F bar made for a nice surface interval snack.
Lunch was in the room, peanut butter sandwich, protein bars, jerky, tuna sandwich(1 can tuna, 2 pickle relish pkg, 2 mayo pkg) or leftovers from the previous nite in town. We had a small icechest.
Walked to town for supper every evening. We didn't rent a car this time which more than paid for the evening meals.
Only dangerous thing we found were the uneven/potholed sidewalk and running the gauntlet of salesmen in the square.

Yes, but most AI's always serve breakfast in the same restaurant, the buffet. Usually lunch is in the same buffet and maybe one other location my the beach or pool. The other restaurants are for dinner.

PH

At Wyndham you have several options for Lunch. Last time we would just park our dive gear at one of the outdoor tables at the Sabor section restaraunt right off the dive boat and grab some calamari, grouper, and a margarita! :)

As for dinner, you don't get in anywhere except the buffet without a reservation, and you have to make them days early!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom