The Good, The Bad and The Crumbling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
The Good:
After a week of rain I didn't expect to get in the water this weekend, let alone find good conditions. The swell models called for one day of relative calm before the sea picks up again tomorrow so I gave it a shot.

The sea was flat but green as I approached Golf Ball Reef. As I descended I found kelp everywhere. This was strange because I always anchor near the barrel in the sand. My anchor was five feet from the barrel but there is now kelp everywhere and it nearly reaches the surface. Not only that, but the visibility was probably the best I've seen this year. From the bottom at sixty-eight feet I could see my boat. It helped that there was no wind nor current and the boat remained over the barrel for the next hour.
I swam to the west side of the reef but despite the thirty feet of visibility I didn't find a lot of subjects. Kevin Lee wasn't on the boat today, so he missed finding three black sea hares laying eggs. I hope he's not kicking himself with his bad knee.

GBR2_zps4f333a00.jpg

Black sea hares are difficult to photograph. Their skin absorbs most of the light from strobes.

GBR3_zps9364d910.jpg

GBR5_zps05c2aac2.jpg

GBR4_zps844e816a.jpg

GBR6_zps00e33fb0.jpg

GBR7_zpsaf6faf96.jpg

I thought I found some interesting eggs in the kelp during my safety stop. Upon further review, they turned out to be fish vertebrae.
GBR8_zpsfd6adc39.jpg

GBR9_zpse7ea0e2d.jpg

The Bad:
I moved to the Landing Craft for my next dive. It's only about six hundred feet from GBR but visibility was only six feet here. I saw three Giant Sea Bass but could only get close enough for one mediocre photo. The nudibranchs, hydroids and tunicates that once covered the vertical walls of the LCM3 were nowhere to be found. Some of the old familiar fish faces were there but it seemed as if most of the life had moved on.

LandingCraft1_zpsfae0f5d1.jpg

LandingCraft3_zps2e37b1e2.jpg

LandingCraft4_zpscbdfc123.jpg

LandingCraft5_zps017a29db.jpg

LandingCraft2_zps61e61f04.jpg

The Crumbling:
Large portions of the Landing Craft have collapsed since my last visit. The corridor that once housed larger fish inside and had Garibaldi nests on the roof is now a convertible. Most of the roof is in shambles below. The tall gate at the open end of the boat is laying on the sand. It won't be long before the wreck is flattened.

LandingCraft5_zps92e9a89d.jpg

Gate as it was before falling to the sand

Landingcraft8_zpsc16fb8ff.jpg

Corynactis-covered roof is now on the floor in piles of rust.

Nice series! Love the Cowrie with the little Algae adornments. Bummer about the landing craft, was hoping to see it while it was still intact. Merry come back with any keepers?

MBT - I'd really like to see you do wide angle. Not a knock at all as you pics are great, but I love wide angle more and would love to see what you can do!

Now go to catalina and bring back so WA shots!

Same experience at the other end of SM bay. I expected crappy conditions all weekend, so took my dog to the beach Saturday morning. The water was still pretty flat Sunday morning, so a buddy and I were both itching to get wet and blow bubbles underwater and decided to go for it. Our plan was to swim out far enough that we couldn't see the bottom, drop down and then just keep swimming out for our dive. Despite really big tidal swings this weekend, we surface swam about 3/8 mile from the beach, could still clearly see the bottom, so dropped down and started our dive. This morning ended up being absolutely spectacular, with good 20-25+ ft visibility, some tidal current (we went out a little before high tide and felt first incoming and then outgoing pull during our dive), but abundant life everywhere. Huge schools of all the local coastal fish, along with abundant cowry and bugs everywhere (we were right in the middle of the MPA, so don't even think about hunting). Our turn point was about 55 minutes into the dive, and after over 90 minutes when we surfaced we were still enjoying the dive too much to notice whether we were cold or not

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom