The Great Gun Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you shoot a fish and miss - do you go and retrieve the spear? And how many spears to you normally go down with on a dive?

On a stock speargun, the gun and spearshaft are connected by a shock cord. And, at $80 per threaded spearshaft+tip for a Riffe, I'm definitely not going to be leaving a spearshaft behind every time I miss. I know that some spearos prefer to freeshaft (not use a shock cord). I don't because I don't stone the fish I shoot at a high enough percentage.

Most people take 1 shaft (the one loaded in the gun). The guys that freeshaft may take an extra one. If you're new to spearfishing, don't concern yourself with freeshafting and carrying multiple shafts.

ifukuda:
On a stock speargun, the gun and spearshaft are connected by a shock cord. And, at $80 per threaded spearshaft+tip for a Riffe, I'm definitely not going to be leaving a spearshaft behind every time I miss. I know that some spearos prefer to freeshaft (not use a shock cord). I don't because I don't stone the fish I shoot at a high enough percentage.

Most people take 1 shaft (the one loaded in the gun). The guys that freeshaft may take an extra one. If you're new to spearfishing, don't concern yourself with freeshafting and carrying multiple shafts.

Thanks for the info...I have never done anything other than look while diving - but I am thinking hunting is my next move.

I have a 38 special woody with a rock point break away tip and it goes through about anything!! I speared a 22 lb halibut 3 days ago from 3 feet and absoutely no problem with penetration . Have you changed your bands lately and is your point still sharp?

I got a JBL Competition Magnum XHD modified a bit:

36" Shaft Track (stock)

48" x 5/16" Shaft (Extra Long)

JBL Rock Point Breakaway Tip or the JBL Rock Point Spinner head Tip.

12' Shock String

10" But Extension (Out of a Saw Off XHD)

20" x 5/8" Blue Extra Strengh Rubber Bands (3 bands)

The XHD models have a modified trigger with Carbide inserts.

This JBL guns are exactly the same that where marketed 25 years ago under the Voit AMF Brand except now they use a shaft track guide and the Carbide inserts in XHD models.

I've used this gun in over 200 dives, never let me down and many good fish had been taken with it.

I recomend this gun 'cause the same type of gun has helped me for over 25 yrs, a design that good can't be wrong.
It's an allmost maintenance free gun, just rinse it and let it dry, of course , I grease every moving part after every dive, but it's not necesary

I'll try to get a pic and post it for you.

The JBL Saw Off is a good start, you can update if you want and when you're ready for the really big gun, go out and fork out the dollars.

In over 25 yrs spearfishing, I'm still waiting for the day to get the Big Gun, haven't need the Big Gun yet!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom