The great travel BC topic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to be traveling to Belize at the end of June for a live-a-board trip. I own 2 BC's-one a weight integrated and one not. This will be my first dive trip abroad and wonder what other members find works well for them (as far as a BC goes) when traveling. I know there are advantages to both but I welcome all opinions.

Which one are you most comfortable with? Which style of dumping weight are you most comfortable with? Pick the one that works for you. I have a weight intergrated one, since it's the one I learned with, it is the system that would be the best for me in an emergency.

I am planning on getting my own gear soon. I work in a dive shop and I love it. Anyway, I want to get something that will sustain getting used locally alot, but still be able to be portable, say, once a year to some exotic locale. I dive fresh mostly, and some of the guys in the shop were telling me that the Zeagle Ranger, once you dive it alot it tends to soften up on you, making it more compact and easier to manage in a dive bag for a trip. Give me some suggestions, will ya? Thanks!

I use a DiveRite TranspacII w. Travel Wings - it packs up fine. I expect you'll get a lot of people suggesting BP/Wings!

How about a rental once you get there, no packing at all...
Sorry, only kidding.

In the Seaquest line, the Balance is known for its portability...

Have to agree with Kim, I just got a BP/W setup and that packs cleaner than anything I've ever owned, but you have the weight of the plate, though you could go aluminum...

JAG

Dang - I don't get to be the first to suggest...... :D

I travel a couple times a year with my BP/W. It packs just fine. My drysuit is what takes up too much room. Maybe I should pick warmer destinations? My plate's SS, but as already suggested, if you want to save on weight you can get an aluminum one or one of the funky looking travel plates.

Snowbear:
Dang - I don't get to be the first to suggest...... :D

I travel a couple times a year with my BP/W. It packs just fine. My drysuit is what takes up too much room. Maybe I should pick warmer destinations? My plate's SS, but as already suggested, if you want to save on weight you can get an aluminum one or one of the funky looking travel plates.
Warm water is good! :D

Jaronoff:
I am planning on getting my own gear soon. I work in a dive shop and I love it. Anyway, I want to get something that will sustain getting used locally alot, but still be able to be portable, say, once a year to some exotic locale. I dive fresh mostly, and some of the guys in the shop were telling me that the Zeagle Ranger, once you dive it alot it tends to soften up on you, making it more compact and easier to manage in a dive bag for a trip. Give me some suggestions, will ya? Thanks!

If you like the ranger, but want something that packs up easier, check out the Custom Zeagle Brigade which is basically a Zeagle Ranger with the bladder from a Zeagle Escape, and an extra roll down pocket. Putting the Escape bladder really cuts down the bulk of the BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom