Travel BCD Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Starting to look for a new BCD, Currently using a Zeagle Stilletto, It is totally fine still though I want to get something lighter for travel. I have been reading about the Hollis LTS. Looks like what I am wanting. Don’t need a bunch of pockets etc unless they are for weight. Also thinking about a backplate with wing, though a crotch strap is not appealing. First problem is no local stores have anything to try on and I really don’t want to build something And order it sight unseen.

Any great suggestions? Male 5’8, 180, never wear anything more then a 3mm suit.

Thanks!

My SS plate and 30# wing have traveled all over the place without any issue. The crotch strap is no problem and locks everything in place.

You can take the crotch strap off, although, I took mine off and then put it back on because it was shifting when penetrating wrecks, which I wasn’t a fan of.
I don’t dive with a chest strap though.

Edit: the LTS does have a backplate, but it’s a soft backplate and you can’t attach a metal one to it, you probably would be better off getting an ST wing a backplate and the solo harness.

My current setup is a Hollis solo harness w/ SS backplate, I don’t dive with any additional dumpable weight, it works with my dry suit and a steel 80, and it works with twin Al 80s and a deco bottle for tech diving

I have a Sub Gravity 3mm aluminum plate, 26 lb wing & adjustable harness for travel.
If a BP/W isn't something you are interested in, I would look at a Dive Rite Hydro Lite.

My SS plate and 30# wing have traveled all over the place without any issue.

That's what I've done for years, but there is an issue. No weight allowance for clothes or other such luxuries. Just packed for a trip and have a cunning plan. I'm going to wear all my clothes on the flight.

Starting to look for a new BCD, Currently using a Zeagle Stilletto, It is totally fine still though I want to get something lighter for travel. I have been reading about the Hollis LTS. Looks like what I am wanting. Don’t need a bunch of pockets etc unless they are for weight. Also thinking about a backplate with wing, though a crotch strap is not appealing. First problem is no local stores have anything to try on and I really don’t want to build something And order it sight unseen.

Any great suggestions? Male 5’8, 180, never wear anything more then a 3mm suit.

Thanks!
For recreation diving, the Scuba Pro Hydros Pro, with the travel harness is a compact light weight BC option. Traveling without the weight pocket assemblies saves space and reduces weight carried. One can use a weight belt, easily obtained at one's destination, or place weights in the BC back trim pockets.

It’s not a deal breaker, guess I may need to expand my horizon’s
You do.

A crotch strap fear is a fixation some have who after using a BP/wing with a properly installed and adjusted crotch strap soon understand that it is not an issue at all. And adds significant stability to the rig. If concerned about a crotch strap riding or pulling up then use a 2 inches soft webbing. If not particularly concerned then a 1 inch soft webbing will be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom