The Horror of Mask Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two things helped me get past my fear of mask clearing. One we called “mask races”. The object is to see how many times you can flood and clear you mask on one breath. You get lots of practice fast and you also discover just how little air is required to clear your mask (ten flood/clear cycles is a good goal). The other was the air sharing, both buddies no mask, following a line back to the ascent line, ascending and timing deco along the way in 48 deg water dive from Tech 1. That pretty much took all the remaining mystery out of mask floods for me.

For cold water, dipping your face in the water without your mask on before you dive helps take some of the bite out of a flood later on.

Also, just spending time with some water in your mask may help. You don’t have to flood the mask, just get used to diving with a little water around your nose. As you get comfortable, add water to taste.

Dave

:doctor:
Good to hear you practice skills. You want your skills to be first nature to you. Example would be if someone came up to you and asked what time is it? You would probaly look at your watch on your left wrist and tell them the time. The point here is that without much thought you know where your watch is and by natural conditioning you respond by giving the time . Scuba skills should be the same way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom