The Horror of Mask Removal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed, this was my biggest bugaboo, but with lots of practice it goes away. Having contacts makes it difficult too.

My greatest sans mask accomplishment was in my DIRF class, where we had to follow a cave line, thru a kelp forest, without masks, while sharing air (and without losing a contact, even swimming with eyes open). :) Felt pretty good after that one.
Chris

Mike F - Agreed about letting your buddy know, my regular buddy and I have a sign, nothing tricky, just motion taking my mask off with both hands and shoot him an ok first.

To the poster above that said it's really not a big deal - just take your time, I agree that this is a very rational approach. The problem is that when something creates fear it is very hard to rationalize, especially a fear that involves something like breathing! To desensitize a fear (this certainly wasn't a phobia - i don't think it is for most divers who have a problem with it) you need to take slow steps and not challenge your 'discomfort zone' too far all at once. The idea that you should just clench your teeth and do it everytime you are getting a new cert (and then avoid it inbetween) is imo not such a good idea.

just my 2 cents . . .

This is never something i have had bother with, actually thought it was fun (am i the only one, i think not) but the trick is defintely to relax. Take time, have confidence that you can breathe easily and safely without it. Just finshed my ow and had to put my mask on at sea on bottom over a hood, was a bit harder to do, but very satisfying. Always relax, it seems to make things easier for me anyway.

I'm not too keen on removing and replacing my mask while diving. I do it on check dives and courses but I don't like it at all!

My buddie merrily removes his mask most dives, and will swim happily next to me, without it for a bit. Not something I find to appealing.

Your suggestions have been really, really helpful and next time I dive I'll give it a go at opening my eyes and having a look around!

:blfish:

I remember watching the video before starting class,
when they got to the part of mask removal and replacement,
I said "no way" I'm not gonna do that!

Now when I go diving, I do it once or twice just to
reassure myself that it's no big deal.

I used to hate it with a passion, now I am just used to it because I forced myself to get into the pool and practice. It's the best option all round, the way I see it, if you cannot be completely comfortable with taking your mask on and off by yourself and having it off for a short time then how are you ever going to stay calm and rational if it gets kicked off by some-one during a dive? This way I know that if it happens I might have the initial fright but ultimately because it is something I have practiced regularly I will very quickly and abley deal with it.

Had an excellent opportunity to practice multi-tasking skills in February. Was attacked by a four foot barracuda. Impact to the face. Shredded the mask, cut two arteries and knocked the reg from my mouth. Semi-concious and talking to myself I was able to recover my reg and make a safe ascent with completely flooded mask. Then a fifty meter swim to the boat. Untimely, but excellent, opportunity to practice skills. And yes, my buddy was great!!

I wish to commend you on your resolve to practice a skill you are uncomfortable with. You will never get over the angst of an uncomfortable skill without practice. Besides, it's actually a dangerous situation to not be confident with a skill. The best thing to do when you realize you have a deficient skill, is to practice until you become confident with it.

Hello

I started diving 2.5 years ago and I've been on 80 dives, and have my advanced certification, and I still HATE HATE HATE removing my mask or flooding it, and then clearing it. I can do it, but I HATE it and had to keep myself from panicking when it
flooded accidentally in the past. Now I understand, that as long as I have my regulator in my mouth, I'm not going to drown, but it feels like you're drowning when your mask is flooding. All of the water goes up my nose. (and I've never been someone that had to hold my nose when I jump into water) Funny thing is.....I'll take the regulator out of my mouth, and had it knocked out once in a wreck, and that doesn't phase me AT ALL !!!! I mentioned this to an instructor before, and he said I was a "Nose Breather".
I guess I have a hard time breathing through my mouth, without breathing through my nose at the same time.

I think I'll try the tip someone gave in this thread about moving your head forward when I'm clearing....maybe that will help. But...my question is....when you're clearing your mask, which is more effective......exhaling slowly to clear it, or
exhaling forcefully???

Thanks!
Pam

"I think I'll try the tip someone gave in this thread about moving your head forward when I'm clearing....maybe that will help. But...my question is....when you're clearing your mask, which is more effective......exhaling slowly to clear it, or
exhaling forcefully???"

As to keeping your head forward, one of the tips I posted was that it is easier to tilt your head forward while having your mask off underwater. I think this is because when you blow the bubbles out your nose they go up the sides of your face rather than up in your eyes. I also think my nose doesn't get as much water up it in this position.

This is very different from tipping your face forward while trying to clear your mask. When I put the mask back on I tip my head up before doing the usual clear. Clearing your mask with your face down certainly won't be easier. Another tip that might be more comfortable is to close your eyes once the mask is on and keep them closed until you've cleared enough water to put your eyes in the air space.

I would say that a moderate exhalation is probably best to clear my mask. I know this is a bit hard to pinpoint 'moderate' but put it this way - I blow steadily and somewhat strong, though not strong enough to be considered a snort above water. make sense?? I think blowing too slowly would be a problem in that it might take a few breaths to totally clear the mask. I think the poster who said to slow down and relax was on the right track - when you do this i'll bet your exhalations will be just right.

good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom