The largest Liveaboards...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was wondering if anyone can identify/name the largest live-aboard vessels in the South Pacific and/or the Caribbean? I am interesting in perhaps booking on a vessel that would give my non-diver wife some "leg-room" to walk around whilst I explore the deep.

I know some divers gravitate to smaller ships to allow access to certain dive sites, but I am looking for quite the opposite.

Thanks.

Garv:)

Biggest boat so far for me was Paradise Dancer. She is in Raja Ampat and Suluwesi. Could be considered huge. I believe 187 feet long while most boats have been 100 feet. Rooms were enormous and the captains suite is 600+ sqft. Large internal area with separate salon with couches, big LCD TV plus dining area for about 20 people, as well as the entire roof over that area as a sun area with about 10 chaise lounge type chairs. Then the whole outside deck area with tables and room for about 20 people at least and benches down the side with everybody's gear. The camera room is about the size of a basic kitchen. Then the whole bow is open with 4 hammocks and open area. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a bigger boat. And of course, the diving was fantastic.

But I don't know about you, but it would kill me to pay 5 grand for her to just hang out...

ship_info.jpg

513' long - :D

Paul Gauguin Luxury Cruise Some of their 7 day trips start around $4400-5500 - depending on the view/balcony desired.
Watersports are a highlight of the Polynesian experience. The ship's small size allows it to navigate in shallow lagoons and narrow channels where larger ships may not sail. With the specially designed retractable watersports platform, guests may descend to sea level where they can conveniently hop aboard a windsurfer, launch a kayak, try a little waterskiing or set out for a SCUBA diving expedition. A scuba certification program is offered on board.

Last edited:
How about a large vessel in the Caribbean? Maybe not a cruise ship per se but rather a very large dedicated live aboard?

Any thoughts?

Garv :cool2:

Do you mean, like the Nekton Pilot or Nekton Rorqual? Those large, dedicated liveaboards?

Maybe this one will be big enough for you and your wife to have a stroll on the deck. The website says it will have a complete dive shop, and the schedule says it will hit all of the best dive spots that the east coast has to offer.
imgres

I think that in the Caribbean dedicated liveaboard fleet, Turks & Caicos Explorer II and Sun Dancer II are about the biggest, close to 130' - another option might be Cuan Law, not that long but VERY wide, and she offers other activities during the week as well.

Our other Caribbean boat, Caribbean Explorer II, does an itinerary between St. Maarten, Saba and St. Kitts during which plenty of exploration time ashore can be arranged as an alternative to diving, without disrupting the diving schedule for everyone else.

In general I'd guess that your wife may be happier having shore options while others are diving, rather than relying on leg room onboard?

Space wise the Aqua Cat is one of the largest liveaboards. It isn't as long as some of the others at 102' but is beamer at 35'. A main salon that is 1,500 sq ft, a sun deck and alfresco deck that are each 1,000 sq ft. For non-divers and divers wishing to take a break from diving, they offer 2-3 shore excursions ever day on their 30' launch.

Bruce

Space wise the Aqua Cat is one of the largest liveaboards. It isn't as long as some of the others at 102' but is beamer at 35'. A main salon that is 1,500 sq ft, a sun deck and alfresco deck that are each 1,000 sq ft. For non-divers and divers wishing to take a break from diving, they offer 2-3 shore excursions ever day on their 30' launch.

Bruce
I sailed on the Aqua Cat. It is a five-star boat and (at least on my week) had a world-class chef, I am not exaggerating. Top rate all the way.

One thing to be aware of, though, is that it has a shallow draft, in order to be able to sail in the shallow waters of the Exumas, and in rough water it bounces around like a cork. I have rarely been as seasick as I was one day on the Aqua Cat when we crossed over to Eleuthra in rough seas.

But if you don't get seasick, I'd recommend it 100%.

Daniel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom