The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's good reading for someone thinking about going into technical diving. It will scare the person enough to see that this is serious business, not just another easy patch to sew on.

What brought it home for me was the story about the guy who was apparently a very experienced and talented tech diver who entered the water with his air turned off...and he was negatively buoyant at the time...Not a good combo...

Rest his soul....

What's really fun is starting work at a New Jersey dive center and meeting tons of people who have met the folks in both books and can give me other insights into the stories.... hehe. NE Wreck diving is considered a category on its own. A lot of people say if you know how to dive up here, you can dive anywhere.

Every diver ought to read this book. Even thought I am familiar with the people and the boats and the area, it woke me up, and I thought I was a sane, conservative diver to begin with. Now I am just more...cognizant.
Life is so fragile, and those images stuck with me and will continue to.
If you haven't read it, for heaven's sake, read it. It is not only about death and bad stuff that can happen, but it is a total scuba education. A fascinating read.

I'm A tech diver
I'm taking Intro to Cave and have all ready completed Cavern. There a strick set of rules and guidlines that need to be followed. Skills are practiced often to ensure compitance in the dive and your right, there is no room for mistakes. Tech divers are a differant breed. If you use your head, every possible problem can be solved. That's the reason OW divers should stick to there training and not be to adventursum. Most divers never even pratice basic skills or do the simple things to ensure a safe dive. IE. clean rinse there equiptment. Have it serviced or even carry a save a dive kit. They by the cheapest thing they can find. Never use there dive tables. Then try to do dive that they are not ready for. The end result someone dies.

I've been on several of the dive boats mentioned in both books. The captain and "old timers" on one in particular were so harsh and clannish, and it used to drive me crazy.

Since reading both books, I understand them a little better.......

Scott

I read both of those books about the time I was getting started on my AOW. They scared the daylights out of me. All of these people who have been diving for a long time and are good at it end up dead, and I, with my few dives, honestly think I can survive any of this?

I got through it after a few days, but it really put me off being interested in wrecks or deep work for a while.

I have now seen my first wreck (a little sailboat sunk in Lake Tahoe) and I am starting to think about tech training, so the books didn't leave any lasting scars, just a lot of caution. I think if someone is already rather timid about diving, those books might just scare them away.

I think it's great book. I've read it 4 or 5 times. I don't know why. it's just captivating.

I missed Bernie when he came to town, and then I go and miss meeting Reekie when our "group" was doing a dive trip and he showed up. (He helped set up the trip as I understand).

I don't know if it would have been bad taste to ask him about a zillion questions about the Rouses, but I wouldn't have been able to help myself.

I'm sure it's all good to say, don't be dumb, be ready, be prepared, if it doesn't feel right call the dive...I'm sure we all have. The problem is, sometimes I think you don't know, for whatever reason...and then it slides in when you are least thinking about it. These guys were accomplished divers, and sure doing 230 on air is dumb, but they had done it before. It was a factor for sure, but when Chrissy got caught inside, well what are you going to do???

They did well to just get to the surface I think. Most of us would have packed it in. An accumulation of too many little things did them in.

How many times have we all F***ED up just enough to cause us some grief?? I know I have........what's been said before??? Experience is what you get just AFTER you needed it.

How damn true is that!

You don't know what you don't know. It sounds funny, but I'll bet you all get what I mean.

I love accident analysis books. I think by reading them that it'll pay dividends if I get into trouble, it also makes me think that by reading it may make me impervious to those "gotcha's" The old "That would never happen to me" scenarios.

But I know it doesn't really make me impervious to squat.

regards.

I am planning on reading Deep Descent, but have read Last Dive. I am not a wreck or cave diver, but found Last Dive very interesting and informative.

I finished reading "The Last Dive" a few weeks ago. It was great for its instuctional and historical content, but I can see why it would never make the best seller list. It was more of a factual documentary than a suspense novel, and I think it would only be truly appreciated by us diver-types. :wink: It should be standard reading for a wreck diving course.
I just started "Deep Descent". It seems pretty good so far.
FYI: Here's a site with lots of good diving books (including those two!):
http://www.scubadivingbooks.com/

Back
Top Bottom