The Lexy October '05 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date:October 16, 2005

Left the dock at 6:45 am, only made it about 7 miles out of Los Alamitos on the Island Time, the wind was howling and the boat was pitching and rolling. We scurried back in the San Pedro breakwater entrance and cruised the relative safety of the inner harbor back to the dock (at 8:15).

Dr. Bill, If you could I need help identifying the first picture.. The divemaster told me what it was but I completely forget.. thanks...
299.jpg

302.jpg

Stryker:
Dr. Bill, If you could I need help identifying the first picture..

Great pictures Seth!! I'm glad you finally got some diving in!!!

mark99:
Date:October 16, 2005

Left the dock at 6:45 am, only made it about 7 miles out of Los Alamitos on the Island Time, the wind was howling and the boat was pitching and rolling. We scurried back in the San Pedro breakwater entrance and cruised the relative safety of the inner harbor back to the dock (at 8:15).

Sorry to hear that, mark99. I stoped by Ventura sport and dive yesterday, and they said the two boats they had scheduled were canceled, also. I bet not many if any at all got out.

Rick

point dume & leo, malibu

dive #1 (leo) -2 pm, 40fsw, 61 minutes, 61F
waves: medium height, weaker waves
vis: 10ft outer reef, 5-7ft inner

dive #2 (point dume pinnacles) - 4:15pm, 47fsw max, 74 minutes, 60F
waves: medium height, strong waves
vis: 12-15ft

Claudette and I had 2 great dives. At leo we saw lots of fish and tons of interesting colorful invertebrates, 5 species of nudies including huge sea lemons. a few sheep crabs. calico rockfish. saw some large jacksmelt during my safety stop. a few lobsters greeted us. never a dull moment during the dive actually.

A low tide allowed claudette and I to walk most of the way to the point dume pinnacles, then we had some large waves to get past, no problem for us though, but we did get pushed back a little. lots of great stuff there, tons of cabezon, a few lingcod, many different rockfish, including one of the most beautiful fish I've seen anywhere, a rockfish with a honeycomb pattern, but didn't match the honeycomb rockfish photos exactly. (I didn't have my camera). I mean, this fish was like a work of art, literally. saw a few treefish and a couple juvies. schools of fishies at the tops of the pinnacles.

on the way out large sea lions swam around us. I didn't really feel a current on the way back, so the swim back wasn't bad at all. not the best vis I've had at point dume but good enough!

scott

Seth- appears to be a crinoid, although a species I'm not familiar with. I could help a lot more if you'd pick me up in one of those jets and fly me over to dive! Crinoids are "primitive" echinoderms and thus relatives of the starfish, brittle stars, sea urchins and sea cucumbers.

Don't know anyone crazy enough to go diving here on Catalina today. Don't think anyone did yesterday either due to the winds, swell and surge. I doubt many will be out tomorrow. Gave me a chance to finish up another episode for my local cable TV show featuring dives last Saturday at Sea Fan Grotto, the Bill Krohl high point near Little Gibraltar and Hen Rock.

At least my gills aren't drying out thanks to the rain. Wait, it never rains in sunny southern California! It pours!!

Redondo Canyon, Veteran's Park
Thursday night dive, Oct. 20, 2005
6 PM splash, 90 minutes before low tide.
1 foot insignificant surf
windy, foggy, but not cold
Max Depth: 76 fsw
Lowest Temp: 57F
Run time: 50 minutes
Viz: 20-25 feet in shallows and canyon. variable.

Met up with JeffShaw and Mo2vation for some milestone dives in sweet conditions. Jeff was breaking a 3 week dry spell to finally do his 100th dive (Hooray!!!). I dumped air from my wing and gratefully submerged for the 301st time since rejoining the diving world in July 2003. And what a lovely and easy-going dive it was.

Shocking sight: I could look down and see my fins while floating at the surface. It's been about 6 months since I could say that (dang red tide!!) Descending showed us nice 20 foot viz at the edge of the canyon and lots of clear black water all around.

The Octopus stole the show at every turn: From road-kill flat to frilly and inflated, each beautiful cephalopod slithered and wriggled in amazing ways.
Navanax, Hermissenda and Flabellina nudibranchs were sighted and left undisturbed.

We had descended close to the pier, as the main steps were closed due to concrete resurfacing. We wandered Southeast along the 60fsw contour line, enjoying the scenery and creatures. It was really cool to run smack into The Monument... like getting a hole in one from a hundred yards off! The "Wet Floor" orange safety cone still cracks me up, and continues to house a very satisfied looking octopus each time. Rock fish abounded and octopuses were snuggled into every possible nook. Team communication Rocked solidly, as we turned diagonally to return across the shallows. Sand dollars were mostly out of sight, but many baby rays (round and thornback) scootered about in the shallows. Crabs tangoed wildly away as we passed.

We eased up from 7 fsw to a silent, empty beach and an easy walk-out. The air still felt warm, as if winter were an inconceivable thought.
It was the sweetest, mellowest of dives with excellent friends.

Ken and Jeff: Thank you!! Words can't say enough.

Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom