The Long Hose With A Jacket BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's really quite unfortunate that you won't be able to bring your bp/w. Now that I'm diving a bp/w, I can't imaging going to a BC, let alone a jacket BC. I would definitely want to be diving with my long hose, but as others said, 7 feet may be just too long when you don't have many options of stowing the excess. Maybe you could just wear your bp/w when you travel so you don't have to pack it away! :wink:

There's an idea. Perhaps I should post in the DIY section for a way to make a steel BP into a handy travel carryon backpack.

If I had to choose one piece of gear to travel with it would be my BP/W. I'd much rather rent a reg than dive with a rental jacket BC. If you're really short on space/weight in the luggage, one of the DSS kydex plate/18lb wing is pretty light and tiny, as is the oxycheq ultralight "plate" and wing.

Hey what if you converted your BP/W for land use as a child holding backpack? Then you would "need" it. :D
STA => Special Toddler Attachment

There was a pole once for those that switched to a BP/W if they would go back to a jacket and the general consensus was NO! Most bring their BP/W's with them. Consistency is using the same gear no matter where you dive.

To answer your question, yes you can use a long hose with a jacket. Probably not a seven footer since there are not a lot of places to tuck in the extra length. Which leads to something else you are going to miss not using a BP/W...your can light, which is another item that once you use one you want it on every dive.

Agree on the backplate (I bought a couple lightweight plates just for travel) ... disagree on the can light. After taking my can light on a couple tropical trips, I decided it was overkill. Last warm-water trip (3 weeks in Indonesia) I just packed a pair of Photon Torpedo's, and a couple little Q40 LEDs for backup. They proved to be all the lights we needed.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ha Ha, just stumbled upon the thread and want to earn a cookie for solving the BP/W - Baby/BP puzzle.

One cam band under the armpits
One cam band around the waist
Reverse the crotch strap and attach it to the lower camband.

Baby on board and you get extra dive time for being such a thoughtful and safety conscious daddy!

I don't think that would work with twins though! :)

I know your OP was regarding long hose integration with a poodle jacket for travel, but if you are going on vacation in (presumably) shallow and warm water diving, why not put a 22" hose for your primary second stage and run a 36" hose for a backup second stage? Are you absolutely insisting on a long hose? I dive BP/W, and when I travel I sometimes don't bring a long hose because it saves weight. Still, a long hose can be used with a regular BC, I've done it just fine with both Zeagle and Oceanic rigs. If you need something to route the hose around, just zip tie your knife sheath someplace conducive to hose routing. On my Zeagle I used to put it just the the left (as I wear it) of my cumberbund and that worked fine with a 7 foot hose.

I use a 7 foot hose for doubles and singles. It shouldnt matter whether it is BP/W or Jacket. Try running the hose under your right arm up across your chest around your head into your mouth. This will eliminate the need to stow extra hose anywhere. In an OOA emergency you donate the long hose by tilting your head forward and using your backup for youself.

Further to this I use a right source inflator/ back up reg and intergrated wireless computer for singles meaning I only have 2 hoses total (the long hose and the inflator hose) that way it is very streamlined, no hose entanglement and no need to add an occy to your first stage for singles. Very easy transition from doubles to singles this way.

STA => Special Toddler Attachment

:rofl3:

I like it, now quick, market it!!!!

How about using a tank banger and looping the hose through it to "take up the slack". I still like converting the back plate into a kiddie back pack. The wing would make a nice pillow too.

Steve.

Back
Top Bottom