The New (2006) Bare 7mm Velocity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avpro4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone else bought this suit? I just ordered one, and learned that I'll have to wait a month because my size is on backorder. I'm only 5'7" and 200#, so my options were few without paying (and waiting) for custom tailoring.

I was able to try on a 2005 Bare Arctic in the XLS size, and got a little anxious about three things: It was hard to zip up, it was tight around the middle and I could feel an air pocket in the kidney area when walking around.

But the new Bare Velocity suits are all made with their "Progressive Stretch" material, so I'm hoping it will be more forgiving. Any comments or suggestions?

Is their any real difference from one mfr. to another in terms of the Hyperstretch or SuperStretch or FlexiStretch or whatever? I'm thinking they're all re-naming the same basic material. What do you think?

I just bought the Bare Arctic and I am the same size as you. I have made three dives in the suit and really like it. I also found it hard to zip but only the last few inches. It is also a bit roomy around the kidney area but you don’t notice it in the water. Due to my size, I felt I was pretty limited to Bare or a custom suit. I have tried several others that were either too long or too tight. Bare seems to be a great fit for me. When I ordered this suit, I originally intended on buying the Velocity 7mm. I ordered a LS and it was a bit too tight. I sent it back and was told Bare stopped making the Velocity series. Scubatoys offered me an Arctic in the correct size and I am completely satisfied.

I have the bare ARCTIC 2005/XL and am very happy with it.

By every catalog spec I am a perfect XLS. After waiting for an XLS I learned that it did not fit because I have a long torso and need the full length body section. Even though I'm a few inches below spec in height for the XL the limb length is just right. I'm 5-9, 205 so I don't think the XL is your ticket

Trying these things on is everything.

Hard zipping? As in tight? A rule of thumb is that after you get the suit up on your shoulders and settled into place the zipper should not be stretching the material much more than 1 inch for closure. After that you risk interference with respiration.

The Velocity series uses a mixture of materials to get the best of them all. The lower performing stretch materials are only used where they really enhance comfort and mobility. I have a 5/4 velocity and a 7mm Arctic and feel no more encumbered in the Arctic. Materials and fabric linings can vary a lot.

My wife is a custom gal and Atlan did a great job on her 7mm set. (Tahoe in 100% 7mm)
http://atlaninc.com/default.html

Pete

They must be copying XCEL, nice........

tc_rain:
I originally intended on buying the Velocity 7mm. I ordered a LS and it was a bit too tight. I sent it back and was told Bare stopped making the Velocity series. .

Bare just did a major website renovation and the Velocity family seems to be alive and well.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/product_list.aspx?id=8

Pete

I just ordered a Velocity 3/2mm and I just tried it out this past weekend. Very happy with it, fits me great and keeps me comfortable. (don't know that this helps you out any, but i thought i'd throw it out there)

I have the bare velocity 7mm suit in xls. Im a bit shorter than you but the legs have a tiny bit of extra length to them so it should be perfect. It is a little loose in the waist and a tiny bit tight in the shoulders but overall it fits really well for an off the rack suit.

It kept me very comfortable in dutch springs (~48° at 60 feet and about 68°F at 30 feet). Anyway, I love the suit!

As a small rant, why don't the wetsuit people seem to make suits for people that lift weights? All of the Henderson suits I tried on (L and XL in various styles) were entirely too tight across the chest, shoulders and upper arms while i had a ton of room in the waist and legs.

I have a Bare 7mm Arctic set (full suit, hooded step-in vest, gloves, boots) and 3mm hooded vest, all from 2004. Other than the Henderson Hyperstretch, they are the most comfortable, best fitting off the shelf 7mm suit(s) I had tried.

I am 6'2", 235 lbs. and I bought them via the internet from Divers Wholesale (gone now) and they fit almost perfectly. The only areas I have issues with is the legs. My thighs and calves are a bit larger than average, probably due to hiking in the Montana mountains, sports when I was a kid.

I also have a couple of Pinnacle 3mm fullsuits that are awesome.

Hi avpro4,

My understanding per the Henderson reps, the Hyperstretch material is a higher quality material. From our comparison tests with one other manufacturer, the Hyperstretch was much better. I'll talk with my rep tomorrow to get more info and get back with you on what he says.

Thanks,

Britt
CrazyScuba.com :fish:

Don't know about the features of the Velocity, but I tried on a Bare Arctic the other day and was very impressed considering the price. Protection on the main zipper on both sides of the suit (usually it is just one), zippers on the legs, nice simple seals on the arms and calfs, flexible knee pads, easy to get into. The Henderson didn't have any of these features and it was almost twice the price.

Back
Top Bottom