The Next Dive Trip... Is A Group Trip Worth It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's almost comparing apples to oranges at times.your trip cost about $1200 with airfare.Now figure in breakfast that buddy includes, cost of $ 100 for the week, 9 boat dives, at a cost of about $300.(DEMA special)
What is added security worth to you that Buddy dive has ?
Not waiting on line at the airport for the rental truck? Free internet access?free nitrox?
Ease of a early am or late pm shore dive before breakfast or after dinner due to room being on the water.
Ability to start dives shortly after arrival that a group leader can arrange.
Pools, bar, on site.
So a private arranged trip costs about $1,600 once you add in amenities and compare what a LDS trip can offer, our last LDS arranged trip ran $1850. With airfare included out of NYC.
Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, you can certainly get some savings, just compare apples to apples..

It's almost comparing apples to oranges at times.your trip cost about $1200 with airfare.Now figure in breakfast that buddy includes, cost of $ 100 for the week, 9 boat dives, at a cost of about $300.(DEMA special)
What is added security worth to you that Buddy dive has ?
Not waiting on line at the airport for the rental truck? Free internet access?free nitrox?
Ease of a early am or late pm shore dive before breakfast or after dinner due to room being on the water.
Ability to start dives shortly after arrival that a group leader can arrange.
Pools, bar, on site.
So a private arranged trip costs about $1,600 once you add in amenities and compare what a LDS trip can offer, our last LDS arranged trip ran $1850. With airfare included out of NYC.
Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, you can certainly get some savings, just compare apples to apples..
I can still book great boat dive packages, free nitrox is included with the package from dfb. The rental truck is at our door waiting on us when the property owner drops us off. Last year we were tooling around town heading to eat as the buddy dive people from our flight made it to buddy dive.

Yup. All one needs to beat a package deal is enough diving friends with the same vacation schedule and similar budgets. :wink: and a person in the group that doesn't mind herding cats.

It is. Plan it a year ahead. Works really well for us.

Works for me as well. We have Palau next January, I had so many people sign up I had to book the Rocio Del Mar for the Sea of Cortez in August and September for next year, and have the Belize Aggressor IV in the spring of 2018. I have found to get the entire boat for when you want it, you have to book a couple of years out.

As new divers, Cozumel is famous for its "baby sitting" style of diving. You can even hire a private DM for around $50 a day for even more training/supervision. You can spend as much, or as little, as you want depending on your budget. No matter where you go, small boats, no more than 6-8 divers, and a DM in the water. Still, make sure you have a SMB and audible signaling device In your gear bag.

We have been to the caymans, Jamaica, and mainland Mexico. We're going back to Coz in April for several reasons. The diving is world class, the people are friendly, there's a Carribbean feel to the island unlike any other place we have been, the food is wonderful, and you can go cheap (by dive vacation standards) if needed.

On the expensive side, the resorts at the South end of the island are typical Carribbean resorts. we don't like all inclusive so, so we stay in town where most of our favorite restaurants are within walking distance as is the dive pier we leave from.

If your looking for an October trip, we were there for Halloween/ day of the dead last year and I hope not to miss it ever again. A cultural experience to say the least. I've never seen a Halloween celebration like they do in Coz.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom