The next step

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSixString

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all. Just signed up for my Nitrox class. A bit suprised that there is no in water work (not real suprised, just a little) and that the class lasts one night.

I'm PADI OW and am taking the SSI Nitrox class. Anyone have any pointers/potential pitfalls?

Be prepared before entering the class.
See if you can stay after class to help out doing some EAN fills if they have any.
I learned a bunch helpng out after class.

ScubaSixString:
Anyone have any pointers/potential pitfalls?

Cancel your SSI class and take a Nitrox class from another agency. IN most nitrox classes you'll learn the same theory and you'll actually make the dives. Making the dives connects theory to practice and it's invaluable, in most cases, for your learning curve. The SSI approach to teaching Nitrox is as absurd as learning how to drive a car using a computer game. How confident (competent) do you think you'd feel if you did that?

R..

i heard about this the other day, my thoughts are you're paying for the course so you might as well go diving with the stuff to see and feel its affects - any excuse for some extra O2 for me!

one win to PADI on nitrox training here

Its all how you look at it I guess. I personally see no need to make dives mandatory as part of a nitrox class. What possible plus is that other than logging in two more dives??

I also have found no dive shops willing to let me near their nitrox equipment as it costs a small fortune and they dont want anyone messing with it. Even in Bonaire....you can get all the tanks you want....but dont you dare try to fill them.

No doubt there are some that are buddies with a dive shop and they may let them get in the back and fill their tanks.....but not the majority of us will ever fill a tank and do the mix.

Just my humble opinion
rich

Diver0001:
Cancel your SSI class and take a Nitrox class from another agency. IN most nitrox classes you'll learn the same theory and you'll actually make the dives. Making the dives connects theory to practice and it's invaluable, in most cases, for your learning curve. The SSI approach to teaching Nitrox is as absurd as learning how to drive a car using a computer game. How confident (competent) do you think you'd feel if you did that?

R..

well stated.

The wrong EAN mix at the wrong depth can kill you (well, it can convulse you which underwater is as good as kill you since none of us were born with gills).

A good Nitrox class will have you create a couple of dive plans, select the best EAN mix based on that plan, analyze that gas, and do dives with that gas according to your plan. Your instructor will supervise this process and may ask questions to check on your thought process, but shouldn't do any of it for you.

The reason the dives are important is that its a great way to drive home the gravity of what you are doing, right from the start.

If someone doesn't want to do the dives, a number of agencies (not just SSI) offer "Nitrox Lite" courses that don't require any dives. But I'd say go ahead do the course with the dives.

I disagree that doing two tanks adds anything. It's all book work. But why would you want to take EAN and not try it? Your PADI so Id say sitck with PADI....As an added point, most people I see diving EAN don't need it they just like to look "cool". It's a great thing to have but most peoples dive profiles just don't need it.

Wildcard:
I disagree that doing two tanks adds anything. It's all book work. But why would you want to take EAN and not try it? Your PADI so Id say sitck with PADI....As an added point, most people I see diving EAN don't need it they just like to look "cool". It's a great thing to have but most peoples dive profiles just don't need it.

Well....it certainly depends on the person learning it. Personally, I don't think that standing around a talking about these things is good enough. I think most people (you may be an exception) retain the information better by rolling up their sleeves and *doing* it. I certainly know I'm that way.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom