The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HOLY SMOKES!!!! Have you ever seen such a close afair as we've just seen in Group C? I was flipping channels and on the edge of my seat all the time. Here's how things stood before the games started:
  1. Slovenia (4)
  2. USA (2)
  3. England (2)
  4. Algeria (1)

Any team could still go through though and any team could still be eliminated. It was make-or-break for all involved. No team could afford to play for a draw and most certainly no team could afford losing.

So after 21 minutes, USA scores... only they don't. Once again a perfectly good goal by the USA is disallowed. This of course would have changed the table to look as follows:
  1. USA (5)
  2. Slovenia (5)
  3. England (3)
  4. Algeria (1)
... sending USA through top of the group as opposed to Slovenia.

But like we know, that didn't happen and two minutes later England scores which changed everything. The table now stands at:
  1. England (5)
  2. Slovenia (4)
  3. USA (3)
  4. Algeria (2)
... meaning that the USA is out of the picture all of a sudden and England and Slovenia now goes through.

But it's far from over. A single goal from either of the other three teams would change the log again (actually Algeria would have to score two, but that could also happen, they were certainly looking hungry enough for it).

Now several very good attempts are made by just about every team and balls are bouncing off the woodwork left, right and centre. Goalies on all four sides are being tested to their limits but rising to the occasion. Between the two games a total of 28 (yes 28!!!) shots were made on target - any of which, if not stopped by the goalie would have changed the log standings yet again. That's not even mentioning the 39 attempts that were made but not on target.

But still it was not over. A minute into overtime USA scores - unbelievably! With that one goal the USA is not just saved from elimination but rocketed to the top of the
  1. USA (5)
  2. England (5)
  3. Slovenia (4)
  4. Algeria (1)
...effectively sealing the coffin on Algeria but also, without them being able to do anything about it (or even knowing that it has just happened), banishing Slovenia from the tournament.

The USA should declare a public holiday and name it after Landon Donovan. England can thank their lucky stars (although they were looking a bit better than in their first two games). But spare a though for Slovenia who was still top of the log this morning and now, after these two games, are packing their bags.

The World Cup is always exciting but this has got to be one of the most exciting days that I can recall.

Glad England finally showed up, and happy for the USA today - hopefully the Yanks will take more of an interest in the sport if they think they can win it.

Let's see if this evening's games offer similar drama...

Did anybody here see Raymond ?

We'd just like to chop off his head...:guillotine:

The last I saw him he was refusing to shake Carlos Alberta Perreira's hand. Uhm, who does this guy think he is?:confused: Perreira has coached 5 different teams at 6 world cups, winning the title with Brazil. By far one of the most respected football personalities in the world. Domenech in contradistinction has won nothing - except for a second division victory with Lyon over two decades ago. He'd do better asking for Parreira's autograph, silly little nin-com-poop.

who does this guy think he is?
Dunno what he thinks he is ( and I don't care about)
but we know what he realy is : the absolute wanker.

Everybody here knows who is Perreira and we all respect him for what he is.
Everybody here hates Domenech and is angry against the french football federation for not having fired Domenech in 2008 after the catastrofic euro they did.

raymond-fossoyeur-L-1.png

(Ray the undertaker)
raymond-domenech.jpg

"A game of the french football team is like a good f**ck, before you are excited, then you do what you can do, and after you are depressed."

Last edited:
On an average goals-per-game this is still the lowest scoring World Cup to date. Notwithstanding, I am enjoying it to bits!

The last round of the groups stage was riveting and not least the roller coaster of Group C.

Group A:
Once I've made peace with the fact that it wasn't meant to be for South Africa I couldn't be happier with the outcome of group A. I enjoy the style of football that Uruguay is playing and I would be thrilled if they could reclaim the dominance they had in the early days of world cup history.

As for the South African performance I am not as impressed as the local media. Everyone seems to praise them for salvaging their pride but I think their performance was pathetic. OK, so they defeated France but I think it's pretty obvious that France was defeated before they even walked onto the pitch. Nope, I think Bafana Bafana deserves no pat on the shoulder and need to own up to the fact they they were dismal so that hopefully they can start getting their act together.

Group B:
How about that Argentine team? They are on song and even fielding their "B team" they still walloped Greece.

Group C:
I've elaborated already on this group's last round but what I could add is that I'm glad the USA came out top of the group. The way they've been playing they certainly deserve it. I'm not sure England deserves to go through though. No worries, Germany will sort them out one time.

Group D:
Between Germany and Spain (and maybe the Netherlands) I think lies Europe's only hope for taking this WC. Germany did seem to have lost a bit of their mojo in the game against Ghana. I think we will probably see a Germany vs Argentina quarter final. It's a hard one to predict but I reckon Argentina will come out tops.

Group E:
Let's not forget about the Netherlands either. Great performance against Cameroon. That said, they would probably have done better finishing 2nd in their group which would not have put them on a collision course with Brazil in the quarter final and I don't fancy their chances.

Group F:
Who'd have ever predicted that Paraguay would come out top of the group and Italy would finish bottom? Oh well, you don't see me crying. I've never been a fan of the Italian football team. Maybe if they focused more on football and less on acting I'd have had more sympathy.

Group G:
This is the only group that I predicted accurately, Brazil on top and Portugal second but that last game between the two was really not anything inspiring. Still, I think Brazil's gonna go all the way and Portugal will be eliminated by Spain in their next game.

Group H:
Great games in this group and some awesome goals too. David Villa scored two goals (his first of the two he scored against Honduras and his goal against Chile) that has got to be two of my favourite goals of the tournament.

Once more 2 major referee mistakes.
The funny thing is that since the last WC final when Zidane has been excluded after an illegal referee video check, the FIFA has taken off the video from the pitch. Now the 4th referee can't see any video.
The victims are the Mexican, everybody saw the offside on the big screen, so did the referees but it was too late : they had no right to take a video decision then it was impossible for them to change their mind.
Imagine the ref doing the same 4 years ago at the last WC final, everyone in the world saw Zidane's agression on Matterazzi except him. He doesn't show the red card, Zidane goes to the penaltys and France win :shocked2::shakehead: : the worst scandal of the WC storry !
WE NEED THE VIDEO !:admingreet:

Why hold the World Cup in Africa if you want a European flavour to it? If you want the traditional European World Cup experience, then do it in Europe.

I agree that blowing the vuvuzela when countries are singing their national anthems is very disrespectful, but equally, insisting that Africa gives up its soccer culture to accommodate Europeans who can't find the volume button on their TV remotes is just as disrespectful. If you were in the stadium you'd have loved the noise and you'd have been blowing your vuvuzela along with them all.

If that's how the South African people want to be represented to the rest of the world, then that's fine for them.

If, as a nation, you are proud about the cultural significance of blowing a 10 cent plastic horn en-masse, with no respect for the cultures and enjoyment of others, then perhaps you shouldn't be offering to host one of the biggest international sporting events in the world.

Suggested Advert for the South African Tourist Board...

VISIT SOUTH AFRICA
COUNTRY OF DISTINGUISHED
CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT
story8c2c071507305996e18a778d86ab7b83.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Valhalla, I really don't understand what you're trying to achieve with your offensive post but commenting on the "cultural development" of another country based on the price and material of the artifacts they use is rather laughable - especially coming from someone who's got such narrow horizons that their definition of a "World Series" involves themselves and their neighbours. C'mon, if the USA was renowned for its cultural development then maybe you could comment but you seriously have no clue as to South African culture.

If, as a nation, you are proud about the cultural significance of blowing a 10 cent plastic horn en-masse, with no respect for the cultures and enjoyment of others, then perhaps you shouldn't be offering to host one of the biggest international sporting events in the world.
Respect for the cultures an enjoyment of others? Get real. You sound like a school kid who's learning to debate. I've been to three games so far and have not seen one person who's culture was suppressed or who didn't enjoy it. How many games did you attend? Even your compatriots who did actually attend the games is enjoying the vibe and embracing it.
horn.jpg

I've spoken to too many foreign visitors in and around the stadiums who loves the noise, the excitement and the South African culture, that I just can not take your comments seriously.

So maybe we should offer to host the world's biggest sporting event and maybe you should learn to embrace it or find the friggin volume button on your TV. Or better yet, simply ignore the world cup, South Africa and our depauperate culture and go enjoy your own wealth of culture.

Suggested Advert for the South African Tourist Board...

VISIT SOUTH AFRICA
COUNTRY OF DISTINGUISHED
CULTURAL DEVELOPMENT

No, please don't visit South Africa. The visitors we have here from all over the world are the most pleasant and exciting bunch to have around. They're loving it here and they're constantly commenting on how pleasant South Africa is. With your attitude you certainly wouldn't feel at home here so please don't visit.

Back
Top Bottom