The Official 2010 FIFA World Cup Discussion Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good heavens! What a day for football. Argentina receives a footballing lesson from Germany and Spain grinds out the most nail biting 1-0 over Paraguay.

My prediction was a Brazil - Argentina final and neither of them made it through the quarter finals!

The South American teams were looking great. There was a South American team in each of the quarter finals and low and behold, all four of them lose in the quarter finals. Yes, I do consider Uruguay's "victory" a loss. Regardless of what the scoreboard says, as far as I'm concerned Uruguay lost the game.

Yes, I do consider Uruguay's "victory" a loss. Regardless of what the scoreboard says, as far as I'm concerned Uruguay lost the game.

:shakehead: You are incorrigible...
:D

I've been very surprised by Argentina, this match showed Argentina's weekness : a terrible lack of defence organization.
The german are very efficient behind and very quick on attack , I think they are gonna win.
We may have a Netherland vs Germany final wich is a very big surprise for me, the European teams use to win in Europe and nowhere else, this time there are 3 European within the 4 semi finalist.
Spain still has a good chance...if Torres wakes up for example ?

I agree that it looks like a Germany Netherlands final.

I also doubt anyone can beat Germany the way they are playing at the moment, their demolition of Argentina was incredible.

Deefstes: Excellent compilation re your fav (vicarious?) game. Scubaboard does need a tiny bit of real info as well as facts and opinions. Thanks; happy to have inspired you.

Love and kisses,

seapanther

Nothing like a sport where fundamentally nothing happens and the officials are completely unaccountable, I tried to give it a shot but man did that suck. The stupid assed horns were just the icing on the cake. Lame.

Nothing like a sport where fundamentally nothing happens...
That seems to be a good description to me of Gridiron Football and Baseball - but then, I don't understand those sports so obviously to me it would seem as if fundamentally nothing happens. To me the strategy and tactics of soccer is fascinating and the individual skills are very entertaining to watch. I can enjoy a game, even if it has no goals, if the tactics and skills on pitch are good. At these high level games, goalless draws happen for a reason, because both teams are good.

and the officials are completely unaccountable
What do you mean? Every referee was rigorously assessed after each game and some, who has made bad mistakes, have actually been sent home. No, not just denied the opportunity of officiating at more games, they were sent home.

I tried to give it a shot but man did that suck.
Sorry to hear. I still think it's the most brilliant game ever. The rules are simple, few and easily understood. The game requires more strategy than most other games that I know and also more skill. But I don't need to convince you or anybody else. The estimates are that the final was viewed by upwards of 700 million viewers - that's one in every ten people on this planet and almost 7 times as many as the number of people watching the Super Bowl final.

The stupid assed horns were just the icing on the cake. Lame.
Sorry:D

I still don't understand the big fuss about the vuvuzelas. And I'm really not trying to be flippant or incitant here, I honestly don't understand what the big problem is.

I'd understand if people complained about the noise when they were at the stadiums as it really is a loud noise but I have not heard many complaints (in fact not any) from people I met at the stadiums or whom I spoke to after they've been to stadiums. I'm referring to South Africans and foreigners alike. Every single person whom I spoke to enjoyed the vibe created by the vuvuzelas.

I can also understand if players and coaches complain that the noise makes it difficult for them to communicate on the pitch. That, as far as I'm concerned, is the only real valid argument that I've heard so far and based on that I'd be quite willing to see the vuvuzela banned.

But what I don't understand is the complaints by television viewers, and I'm clearly overlooking something because the complaints from TV viewers were widespread and resounding so obviously it's not just a few viewers who were unhappy about it. But what exactly is it that makes it so unbearable? When I watched the games on television I didn't even notice the vuvuzela drone after a while and it definitely never drowned out the commentary. To be honest, as far as background noise to a TV event is concerned, I fail to appreciate the difference between the drone of vuvuzelas and the noise of Formula 1 engines gunning it around a track.

Could someone point out to me what it is that I'm missing?

Could someone point out to me what it is that I'm missing?

I grew up across the street from a commuter train. In the morning and evening it would rumble by every 10 or 15 minutes. It became part of the natural background. Visitors would remark and we would say "Oh - did a train just go by?" Our brains were filtering the noise out.

Perhaps it is like this for the soccer fan. The horns are ignored easily. Not so for others.

For the "visitor" (new TV viewer) it is obvious, and distracting. For many, it detracted from watching the sport.

I think soccer is losing potential fans when the new viewers don't get past the first hurdle - the horns.

Is this what you are missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom