The OK sign

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seeing something really cool - like a little critter we tend to use double OK signs - both hands. And you're certainly OK if you have both hands fee to signal!

Otherwise OK signs MUST always be answerd!

statement/reply? I always get an "ok" from my customers right before we descend, but in general, I don't use it much after that unless the situation warrants. As a new instructor, I probably "ok'ed" everybody about every 10 minutes. Now I can pretty much tell if they're ok by looking at them, so I let them look at fish or whatever instead of me all the time. When we have a deep dive planned, I'll tell the divers once we get to the "staging area" at about 18m/60', I'll give a "descend followed by ok" signal...having already explained to them that if ANYONE doesn't feel comfortable for whatever reason about going deep, let me know at that point & we'll keep the dive shallow. I've found it helpful to take a couple minutes to evaluate them there anyhow, before dropping down to 30m/100' +.
Anyway, regarding what I started with, I usually "hold" the ok sign for a while to make it a "question," but if it's a situation like a diver has a few bubbles leaking out from their inflator connection I'll do a quick "ok" to tell them "it's nothing to worry about." Some first stages (Sherwood, I think, for one) have a trickle of bubbles designed into them, for example, but divers using rental equipment often aren't aware of that.
I don't usually acknowledge other divers underwater (unless they signal ME first) except for other guides/instructors, most of whom I know....and in that case it would be something very subtle...a slight tip of the head/nod, or maybe extending my fingers (I usually have one hand holding the other's wrist during a dive) a bit in an abbreviated wave.
I try (within the parameters of keeping everyone safe & showing them the "good stuff) to follow what I heard about being a "good referee"...if people hardly notice them, that's what they want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom