The PERFECT Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's kind of diving do you plan on doing with this computer. I ask because the transmitter option really removes what I consider to be the top two multigas deco computers on the market today. Shearwater and Liquidvision, although it looks like Liquidvision may now have a transmitter option. Since you said you wanted multi-gas, trimix I'm guessing you will use this computer to do some deco diving.

I have been diving the Shearwater since the Pursuit model. Never had a problem with it and as far as deco dives it far outperforms anything I used before. Never used a X1 but I have dived with others and they have all like them also. Can't say the same about any of the other computers out there when used for deco diving.

I am planning to return to the tech arena and take the PADI sanctioned courses. I would NEVER rely solely on a wireless transmitter, especially on tech dives, but it would be nice to be able to track actual gas consumption. I would of course have an SPG for each gas source. Wouldn't want a Darwin Award.

Lets think about a sidemount,2 stage cave dive.

Oxygen is dropped near the entrance. First stage is dropped at maybe 700 feet in. Second stage dropped around 13/1400 feet. Penetration at turn might be 2600 feet.
What will a wireless computer make of such a dive? (Even with 5 transmitters!) Only one sidemount tank is being breathed from at a time. The pressure in the other has not changed for maybe 10 minutes. One stage is 1200 feet away,the other 1900 feet away. What messages will it be giving about air time remaining and amount of deco needed when the O2 is half a mile away???

For me the "Perfect Dive Computer" is ... the one I can see, that I know how to use and that does the job I need it to do.

Of course I have more than one dive computer (last time I checked we had ~50 in the office :D)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Back
Top Bottom