The Philippines vs. Roatan/Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1+ for the Phlippines and don't look back......We recently did 5 days @ Dumaguete(Pura Vida) & 5 days @ Cebu(Turtle Bay Resort---including the whaleshark dive @ Oslob) and had a great time/experience---everywhere.........Dove Utilla 1X & Roatan 24X(used to own a house there for 14 years) & the diving does not compare.....If @ all possible, get to the Philippines-IMO....:)

I did my divemaster course in Roatan an stay there for a while, basically all dives in Roatan (Utila as well) are wall dives and very few dive sites you´ll find any current, water temperature is 26 (the coldest you get) to 29 Celsius, visibility is excellent about 25-30m and sometimes above. The corals are in ok condition (you cannot say the same for Utilas corals) as there is a Marine Park Reserve (you´ll have to pay an insignificant fee to help the conservation of Roatan MArine Park). Marine Life have decresed (but still ok) in recent years as in many places in the Caribbean due to invasion of the Lion Fish a foreign specie in the CAribbean (originally from the PAcific Ocean) and the overpopulation of divers. All in all is a good diving destination in the Caribbean, a you´ll enjoy it, the tourist town is West End this is where you´ll find most of the diving operators, restaurants, Marine Park Office, etc.. but there´s no swiming beach (theres half moon bay beach a nice beach but crowed with diving boats). If you are planning to do some beach activity besides diving you´ll have to stay in West Bay next to West End it´s little more expensive but the beach it´s beautiful! (or take a cab from West End very cheap). I can highly recommend Coconut tree Divers the best dive operarotor in Raotan, excellent instructors/divemasters very profesionals and secure, plus they have cheap beer (cheaper than any bar or market) in a fridge that opens 4 pm after the last dive, you can chat with other divers about your last dive at dive shop wooden deck with a cold beer in hand as you watch the sun set over the beatiful half moon bay. A plus for notrhamerican tourists is that altough Roatan is part of Honduras all the people speak fluent english (in fact english is the native language and everything here is near,the dive shops, dive sites, restaurants so you´ll do all your travel using your own feet (except you want to know other towns in the island). But Roatan is a place to spend no more tham 10 days as you wont have much to do beside diving and the dives tends to get repetitive beyond that time (remember is all WALL DIVE). Go there have a great time perfect your diving skill and save some vacations days for your next trip to philippines.
Philippines is one of the top diving destinations in the world, so diving is no where near as diving in Roatan in terms of coral conditions and marine life abundance, but theres a lot of diving destinations and beautiful beaches insides Philippines (Remember it´s a 7107 islands archipielago) so´ll need more than a month of time to spend to make this trip worth. Another thing many english speaking tourist seems to ignore is that altough english is the second official language most philippinos speak little to no english (with the exception of tour operators and tourist bussiness people), so you´ll have to manage to make yourself understand. But as others said in this post diving is cheap (if your sallary is in dollars) and one of the best you´ll find in the world.

Well enough said. Hope this helps. Have a great time diving wherever you choose to go!

I did my divemaster course in Roatan an stay there for a while, basically all dives in Roatan (Utila as well) are wall dives and very few dive sites you´ll find any current, water temperature is 26 (the coldest you get) to 29 Celsius, visibility is excellent about 25-30m and sometimes above. The corals are in ok condition (you cannot say the same for Utilas corals) as there is a Marine Park Reserve (you´ll have to pay an insignificant fee to help the conservation of Roatan MArine Park). Marine Life have decresed (but still ok) in recent years as in many places in the Caribbean due to invasion of the Lion Fish a foreign specie in the CAribbean (originally from the PAcific Ocean) and the overpopulation of divers. All in all is a good diving destination in the Caribbean, a you´ll enjoy it, the tourist town is West End this is where you´ll find most of the diving operators, restaurants, Marine Park Office, etc.. but there´s no swiming beach (theres half moon bay beach a nice beach but crowed with diving boats). If you are planning to do some beach activity besides diving you´ll have to stay in West Bay next to West End it´s little more expensive but the beach it´s beautiful! (or take a cab from West End very cheap). I can highly recommend Coconut tree Divers the best dive operarotor in Raotan, excellent instructors/divemasters very profesionals and secure, plus they have cheap beer (cheaper than any bar or market) in a fridge that opens 4 pm after the last dive, you can chat with other divers about your last dive at dive shop wooden deck with a cold beer in hand as you watch the sun set over the beatiful half moon bay. A plus for notrhamerican tourists is that altough Roatan is part of Honduras all the people speak fluent english (in fact english is the native language and everything here is near,the dive shops, dive sites, restaurants so you´ll do all your travel using your own feet (except you want to know other towns in the island). But Roatan is a place to spend no more tham 10 days as you wont have much to do beside diving and the dives tends to get repetitive beyond that time (remember is all WALL DIVE). Go there have a great time perfect your diving skill and save some vacations days for your next trip to philippines.
Philippines is one of the top diving destinations in the world, so diving is no where near as diving in Roatan in terms of coral conditions and marine life abundance, but theres a lot of diving destinations and beautiful beaches insides Philippines (Remember it´s a 7107 islands archipielago) "so´ll need more than a month of time to spend to make this trip worth. Another thing many english speaking tourist seems to ignore is that altough english is the second official language most philippinos speak little to no english (with the exception of tour operators and tourist bussiness people), so you´ll have to manage to make yourself understand. But as others said in this post diving is cheap (if your sallary is in dollars) and one of the best you´ll find in the world."

Well enough said. Hope this helps. Have a great time diving wherever you choose to go!

I'd disagree with some of things you've said about the Philippines. First of all I'd say English is widely spoken, actually far more than in almost any Asian country I can think of. And a trip of any duration will be worth it...doesn't have to be a month...no doubt lots of places to visit but any chance one can take to do the superior diving of the Philippines you should take...whether that's one-two weeks, etc. The reasonable prices for diving (actually everything for everything) help defray the cost of the airfare. Here in Malapascua right now and loving it :)

Hello everyone, my wife and I recently started to plan a trip for the beginning of May 2013 for Roatan and Utila from Vancouver, Canada. After finding out flight costs and duration of travel (flight and multiple layovers)

Rhys

Hey Rhys,

I was on Utila for 3 months this past summer. It was pretty reasonable to live there. I got an apartment for about $350 a month (TV, fan, kitchen, fridge, bathroom/shower, and electricity- but no AC). I found a great deal although at most places it is $400-$450 a month not including electricity. Food was about the same in the states, I mostly ate out. Occasionally cooking at my apartment. Imported foods like cereals were more expensive at the grocery stores. But they have loads of fresh coconuts and mangos that you can just pick! Weather was not bad, hot and humid but you got used to it after a week. It rained probably once a week too. One major tip, BRING BUG SPRAY! I got murdered by mosquitos at night. A lot of people dont have much problems with mosquitos but the bugs love me for some reason. If it helps, beer and drinks were cheap!
Diving in Utila was fantastic! 83/84 degree water. I only used a wetsuit for my deep tec dives (and even then it only got to 81) and wreck penetration dives. Visibility was about 100 feet every day. Roatan has more sharks and the reefs are a bit for lively than Utila, but Utila is still gorgeous! They have a couple wrecks on Utila including the Haliburton which is a 100 foot cargo ship. In the winter is when they have the most whale sharks, not too common in the summers but I swam with them! Loads of friendly dolphins, eagle rays, and other cool stuff. They had some swim throughs too.

If you need any more info on Utila, feel free to pm me! :)
-Tyler

I have traveled the Philippines diving and i even own a house there now, we at Dive Travel have two shows produced in the Philippines at DiveTravelDVDS.com , and we are working on a third show from there in which so far the best diving i have found in the world is "Bohol Philippines"...and i have been around the world 3 times diving at 37 different dive destinations....check them all out though on line, many great destinations to choose from. Also we have shows on Roatan and Utila called the Bay islands, the shows are each one hour long and are produced for scuba divers as a travelogue series. It good to be informed before you make the trips thats what the shows are all about.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

i totally agree with you the best diviing is in the Philippines. DiveTravelDVDS..com check out the shows there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom