The Problem with Science as a Substitute

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do realise Nereas, old boy, that you are repeating yourself?

You repeat the words ‘carbon’, ‘textbook’ and ‘pseudoscience’ like a mantra, oblivious to any external influence.

You believe that you, and you alone, understand a great secret that, honestly, would revolutionise science, and which has been overlooked by tens of thousands of workers in the field.

A discovery that, out there in the real world, would give you real fame for decades to come - yet you are unable to articulate it.

The only textbook I’m reaching for is one on psychology... :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

"Red herring" comes up a lot too, especially regarding your posts.

This thread is not about carbon dating. But that has come up a lot lately.

The thread is on the bigger issue of atheists substituting science as a belief system, and attributing to science issues of faith and trust that it was never meant to cover. That is the bigger picture, in case you have lost it in the minutia of the carbon dating subtopic. Go back and read the posts and you should be able to get caught up, same as with any thread.

G'day mate.

Last edited:

Thal, you happen to be using the tools of the sophists yourself quite often. Many of them are on your list, above. Your earlier comments about radioactive decay rate was a "straw man." You yourself are in the habit of appealing to ridicule a lot, calling upon your fellow atheists to sing like a choir with you.

It's good however that you are reading more about philosophy, congrats. Nice list too! I hope you will study this list, and then remove all fallacies from your own methods of argument. That would make you a better person. The list comes from a Jewish website dedicated to fighting anti-semitism, so next time you visit a holocaust museum, I think you owe a donation, at least.

I am not a sophist, by the way. I am simply Christian.

In Christian philosophy, God (an English word that comes from German and means in Greek Theos and in Hebrew Elohim) exists as a given, and if you also know that God exists, then it is because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to you, nor by the philosophies of humankind, but rather God himself who is in heaven revealed it; and if you do not know that God exists, then it is simply because God has not given you any such knowledge.

Theos is a given, simply because of the many witnesses sent throughout history of him. Also, the Earth and the heavens are evidence of his creating, since nothing has ever been seen by anyone to be created out of nothing. Everything that we see comes either from a seed or a cell or some form of DNA/RNA, and not out of nothingness. Thus everything we see and have ever seen has been created from something, and therefore requires a creator.

The people who have had near-death experiences are among the best witnesses and evidence of this philosophy.

Others who are spiritual and who have come to know that God exists are special witnesses.

Atheists and others who know nothing about this God simply know nothing, because nothing has been revealed to them. There is nothing wrong with thusly being ignorant, and it is best to know that you are ignorant if you are indeed ignorant. But it is philosophically unsound to assume that everyone else is ignorant simply because you yourself as an atheist are ignorant. (A fallacy of hasty generalization, see your list above.)

And it is never smart to change science into a substitute for religion in your own life, and elevate science to faith status, and cling to it as if it is your god. Because science is simply a protocol of procedures developed by men on Earth to discover the ways of the physical world.

If your soul longs for a religion, then do not make science your religion. And if you cannot live without science as your religion, then you are not really atheist. An atheist can believe in nothing, not even science as a religion.

Last edited:
The only textbook I’m reaching for is one on psychology... :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

Why? Oh right...psychology books are so think, they are perfect for knocking some sense into nereas.

Oh nereas, you do still beat your wife, do you not?

Back
Top Bottom