The Real "F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It suited me to do so.
I had no idea that this was a restricted forum.
I had no idea that the freedom of speech had been abridged . . .

I dated a self proclaimed feminist. Once.

We went to the movie and being a man who was raised to respect women and show them certain social courtesies, I opened the door to the theater for her. She objected to this "oppressive" treatment and I endured an uncomfortable lecture on the evils of what I had just done, how I would not have opened the door for her if she were a man, and how such protective and unequal behavior denigrates women.

We then went to the ticket counter where I proceeded to pay for one adult ticket. She then got upset that I was not paying for her ticket. I pointed out that I certainly would not be paying for her ticket if she were a man and she was on her own on this one. This upset her (and I suspect the giggling of the woman behind the counter who saw both exchanges did not help). She spent the whole movie mad, she opened her own doors, we had a quiet drive to her house, no further social courtesies such as a goodnight kiss or handshake were offered or requested by either party and neither one of us saw the need for a second date.

Experiences such as this where "feminist" women want to be feminist when it is to their advantage and prefer to be just plain feminine when that is to their advantage are why many people object to the term "feminist".

I have no problem with equal pay for equal work and as a vocational counselor, I support diversity in the work place in all its forms. But implicit in this belief is the recognition of diversity and the understanding that individual men and women bring different abilities and potentials to the workplace just as any two individuals would bring different traits, skills and limitations to the workplace regardless of sex, race, age, ethnicity or disability. Saying everyone is equal in the sense of being "the same" is not only incorrect, it is counter productive and this is definition of "equality" is I think one of the tenents commonly associated with feminisim.

DA Aquamaster:

We went to the movie and being a man who was raised to respect women and show them certain social courtesies, I opened the door to the theater for her. She objected to this "oppressive" treatment and I endured an uncomfortable lecture on the evils of what I had just done, how I would not have opened the door for her if she were a man, and how such protective and unequal behavior denigrates women.

We then went to the ticket counter where I proceeded to pay for one adult ticket. She then got upset that I was not paying for her ticket. I pointed out that I certainly would not be paying for her ticket if she were a man and she was on her own on this one. This upset her (and I suspect the giggling of the woman behind the counter who saw both exchanges did not help). She spent the whole movie mad, she opened her own doors, we had a quiet drive to her house, no further social courtesies such as a goodnight kiss or handshake were offered or requested by either party and neither one of us saw the need for a second date.

Experiences such as this where "feminist" women want to be feminist when it is to their advantage and prefer to be just plain feminine when that is to their advantage are why many people object to the term "feminist".

I have no problem with equal pay for equal work and as a vocational counselor, I support diversity in the work place in all its forms. But implicit in this belief is the recognition of diversity and the understanding that individual men and women bring different abilities and potentials to the workplace just as any two individuals would bring different traits, skills and limitations to the workplace regardless of sex, race, age, ethnicity or disability. Saying everyone is equal in the sense of being "the same" is not only incorrect, it is counter productive and this is definition of "equality" is I think one of the tenents commonly associated with feminisim.
well said that man! :07:

I used to be uncomfortable with labels - someone might not like me if they knew me.

50th birthday is very close. I am becoming more comfortable with who I am - my labels. I hope becuse of them I am more interesting.

Female
American
Moderate Republican (yes, Rush there is such a thing)
Wife
Mother
Diver
Friend
Enemy
Lover
Teacher
Student
Independent
Private
and Feminist
Maybe we should work to change the defination to fit us.

Becky

divemistress:
Huh? They would doubtless be surprised to hear it, but their beliefs make them feminists. Not man-hating Medusas, simply people who believe in equal rights, equal opportunities and equal responsibilities for both genders.
I believe in equality too... does that make me a feminist? If so, why? I'm not specifically focused on gender equality, racial equality, or sexual orientation, eye color, or anything else. I think all people should have equal opportunites etc., but I believe calling me a feminist because of that implies a pro-woman bias that really isn't there.

DA Aquamaster:

Almost all groups have their fair share of idiots. You found one.

DM, so this is what you were doing when you were not fullfilling your promises. Interesting discussion, I enjoyed it. You do have a talent for getting things rolling.

That's not fair. You almost made me choke to death on a cup of coffee just now. ....Last night, when I looked up at the clock it was 11:15 p.m./2:15 a.m.....Sigh.

Walter:
DM, so this is what you were doing when you were not fullfilling your promises. Interesting discussion, I enjoyed it. You do have a talent for getting things rolling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom