The RIGHT thing to do in a blackout.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, this never would have happened if the divers had planned their dive and dived their plan correctly and responsibly.

I never say never. Conditions can change.....ianr33 describes just such a scenario in #26.

I never say never. Conditions can change.....ianr33 describes just such a scenario in #26.

Dive plans should include contingencies.

[h=3]con·tin·gen·cy/kənˈtinjənsē/Noun[/h]1. A future event or circumstance that is possible but cannot be predicted with certainty.
2. A provision for such an event or circumstance.

I don't think you can ever fully predict visibility, or how it will change. And it seems to me that the OP is ASKING how he should create a dive plan that includes very low visibility as a contingency; he IS planning.

When we do technical dives in Lake Washington, it is, as I said before, quite possible to descend INTO the lake bottom without being aware of it. (The viz just gets worse and worse and worse until you finally realize, "Oh, foo, I'm IN the silt.") Every dive plan there has to include zero viz and buddy separation, because on some days, even the "good" viz is about two feet. The OP, I think, has learned that most people think a strong light is a necessity where such conditions are possible, but that that may not suffice, and a separation protocol needs to be in place. Those are good lessons to learn, BEFORE you need them!

Carry a bottle of whiteout in my BC to counteract the blackout.

After chatting with others that know Lake Pleasant well . . .

It is not unusual for a "silt" (or algae, or something) cloud to hang out at a thermocline. I think that is to what kazbanz was referring. That same cloud is on the bottom in many places.

A blackout like that will stress the untrained diver and cause RMV/SAC to increase. This will increase buoyancy and lift the diver above the siltout. So problem will resolve itself.

A blackout like that will stress the untrained diver and cause RMV/SAC to increase. This will increase buoyancy and lift the diver above the siltout. So problem will resolve itself.

:confused:

I don't get that. I am perfectly capable of increasing my RMV without losing buoyancy control.

The senario is. Lake dive. Actual lake bottom is at 180 feet. There are 3 distinct and sharp thermoclines. at 30 60 and 90 feet.Temps start at 15 degrees but drop sharply at the first thermocline At the 90 foot thermocline the combination of temp/pressure creates a distinct and clear "fake bottom" almost making it look like you are as deep as you can go.
Dip your fin into it and BANG almost instant blackout as the disturbed water/silt mixes with the water above it.
So now you are at 90 feet. Cant see hand in front of your face and can't even see your own bubbles.
First reaction is to look for your dive buddy who although close by instantly disapears.
In looking for your buddy your sense of direction has gone and you can't read your gauges the blackout is that complete.
You have got yourself there. What would YOU do to get yourself out of the situation?

So you have been Diving in the Czech Republic? Thats great! We should get together some time!

I don't think you can ever fully predict visibility, or how it will change. And it seems to me that the OP is ASKING how he should create a dive plan that includes very low visibility as a contingency; he IS planning.
The OP, I think, has learned that most people think a strong light is a necessity where such conditions are possible, but that that may not suffice, and a separation protocol needs to be in place. Those are good lessons to learn, BEFORE you need them!
THANK YOU--AND Devondiver !!!!!
That was and is exactly what we are doing.
We regularly dive Lake Pupuke and at the place two divers died recently.
We know the issue is there and sure as heck don't want to be making plans on the spot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom