The Search For The MT6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The MT6 is a 100 year old ferry (called The Tacoma), converted to a barge in 1917 (called Barge No.6) and then sank in 1950 due to a collision. The wreck is 150’ long by 50’ wide and rests in about 200’ of water, right there in Elliot Bay just 1500 feet from shore right off the famous and popular Alki Beach. Here’s some history. And here’s a sonar of the bottom of Elliot bay and the MT6.

Elliot_Bay.jpg

I’ve talked to people who have dived it by boat, but no one I talked to knows of anyone having dived it from shore. So, my buddy and I are attempting to scooter to it from shore. Today was our first attempt.

We used GPS someone gave us and the sonar map, along with images from Google Earth to get a bearing from shore.

MT6_View_2.jpg

Our plan was to enter from Cove 1, head out to 200’ and then head south-east hugging 200’. We dived CCR’s and carried two 80’s each for bailout. My buddy was on an X-scooter Cuda and I was on a Serria.

The beginning of the dive looked promising with clear water – maybe 30’ vis. We surface-scootered out a ways, took another bearing and then dropped down to 93’. We scootered down the gentle slope and hit 200’ in 9 mins. The problem was, once we got deeper than 150’ the vis started to lessen, and at 200’ it was a terrible 4’ of dirty vis. We scootered along slowly, sticking close together, watching an unchanging silty bottom.

The only thing to see were the thousands of large shrimp that our HID lights reflected back at us as we moved over the silty, unchanging bottom. At some points we had only 2’ of vis, and after about 20 mins I started to get the willies and signaled to turn the dive. My buddy was leading the dive, and I was intensely focused on not loosing him in the low vis, so we could have easily passed within a few feet of the wreck without seeing it. We could have run right into it, but all it would look like in 4’ vis would be small patches of old lumber.

We got off the scooters at about 140’ and kicked lazily back up the long slope. The ascent was so slow that our only real stops were from 30’ up. Total dive time was 73 mins. Max depth 208’.

Well, it was a long way to drive to see the same silty bottom we can see 300 miles back home in the local ponds, but at least the water was a balmy 48 degrees. :D

Tomorrow we try again. Yup, we want to find the thing from shore and run a line back – not all the way where someone could get into trouble following it, but to a point where it is findable if you know where to look. We‘re carring 2 big wreck reels and some spools just for good measure.

Hey, it’s something to do. And even though I started getting a bit of the monkeys at depth in the low vis (no, not narked. I was on 68% HE. Just my normal chicken nature kicking in), I had a blast. We saw the usual jellies during deco, including one that had just gotten caught by a large crab who was having him for lunch while he tried to get away. And the other usual suspects.

So, two more dives tomorrow and one on Tuesday to try to find the thing.

I’ll keep you posted…

If you went 9 mins but "slowly" on a Sierra you might not have hit it yet. Vis was only ~6ft on the bottom for Limeyx and I last year. Of course it looked an awesome 50+ft at 20ft. Good luck tomorrow.

Richard, didn't you guys find the wreck at about 210 when you dove it? I can't remember what the tide was. But I remember it was deeper than you had planned.

If you went 9 mins but "slowly" on a Sierra you might not have hit it yet.
Actually, I was at full speed down to 200', and it took the 9 mins to get to 200', then we went another 12 mins @ 200'-208' S/E at 0 clicks. Of course the Cuda had to trigger-and-pause, trigger-and-pause for me to keep up.
Richard, didn't you guys find the wreck at about 210 when you dove it? I can't remember what the tide was. But I remember it was deeper than you had planned.
Today's plan is to go to 210', head S/E, then come up to 200' and head back in a reciprocal heading.

Thanks for the help, Richard.

We found it!

Just as we planned, my buddy Al and I descended to 210’ and scootered along at that depth for a while, then headed up to do a reciprocal course at 200’. The slope is so gradual there that to get from 210’ to 200’ you have to cover a lot of real estate. And as we hit 206’, there it was!

We cheered and high-fived each other. We swam west along the hull of the large wreck, and when we came to the end, Al tied in his reel line. There was no time left to enjoy the wreck, so we took right off and scootered S/W. We ran into some more of the wreck, then continued up slope.

After we ran Al’s reel empty (at about 170’), I took out mine and we tied it in, and continued up slope. At about 100’ we came across a line that someone ran that runs parallel to shore (all the way back to Cove 2, I’m guessing), so we tied into it and cut our line. At 70’ I shot a bag, tied it off to a log and left it there for us to get a visual reference on from Cove 1.

We completed our deco for a total dive time of 115 mins. We were pretty happy with ourselves, I must admit.

Our two OC friends that came with Al form Spokane had dived the I-beams and the logs at cove 2 with their scooters while we searched for the wreck. But now that we had a line to it, they were hot to join us for dive #2.

Three hours later, after come lunch at the Cove 2 restaurant and some latte’s from across the street, we made our 2nd dive. We surface-scootered to the bag I had shot, descended, headed N/E and ran across our line to the wreck. We all followed it down to the wreck, enjoyed a few minutes exploring it, returned back up the line and did our deco.

Total dive time was about 80 mins.

It was a real hoot to find the ship and run that line! I only wish the visibility was better so we could see more than just a few bits of it at a time – maybe poke around inside some.

Tomorrow morning is our last time to dive the MT6 this trip (Al and the OC divers head back to Spokane), so we’ll do another long dive and spend some more time exploring the wreck.

Thanks to those who gave my help in finding it. Thanks to my buddy Al for “motivating” me to try again today. I had a blast!

Glad to hear that you found it, Rick. I've been on the MT6 a few times, always from a boat, and it's a great dive ... full of life. Vis is typically not too good, though.

Have fun tomorrow ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Awesome that you found it! I know it might be a hassle, but please pull your line after tomorrow.

Rick, that's wonderful! I would guess you tied into the line that the Alki Plains Line Project has run. They used to have a website, but it appears to be gone.

Richard, why would you like the line pulled? It doesn't go to land, but just to the APLP line -- very few people are going to be able to find it, and most of those would have the credentials to dive the MT6.

Richard, why would you like the line pulled? It doesn't go to land, but just to the APLP line -- very few people are going to be able to find it, and most of those would have the credentials to dive the MT6.

That's what we were thinking. It's not close enough to any shore access (including Cove 1) for anyone to stumble on it. You'd have to know what you were looking for and where and have a scooter to get to the line at 110'.

I got a PM telling me to leave it. I don't mind pulling it (actually, I'd mask Al to the reeling :eyebrow:), but I really don't believe it's an invitation for anyone to get into trouble with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom