The significance of a bell

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But this weekend, a team found her bell, and they are massively excited about that. It was not removed, as removal of artifacts requires a specific permit, but they identified it, cleaned it off, and I believe moved it to where it was more visible (it was found partially buried in silt).

)

I believe the above was all done in grand intentions.... however, I wouldn't be surprised if putting it in the open didn't open it up for being removed/stolen by someone who doesn't have respect for the laws and permit process.

Well, I read a more complete report, and they actually sequestered it in the wreck, rather than leaving it in the open.

I think the bell is probably pretty safe. This wreck really is a very big dive -- only possible a very few days a year from a water condition standpoint, and then the weather and the vessel traffic people have to cooperate, too. And there aren't that many folks in our area doing 250 foot dives on a regular basis.

I love wrecks and can understand the excitement. The bell is like the individual fingerprint of that ship. Each ship having it's own unique one. For me it's like penetrating to the engine room of a wreck. To me that is the heart of the ship and it thrills me to see it.

Actually, a ship the size of the Governor would have 2 or 3 bells, each with a different tone when rung. This was so that docking and look out orders could be easily sent from the wheelhouse to the bow or stern and back before that days of hand held radios. As each had a differing sound you could tell who and where the order or reply was coming from. They were also used to talk with the tugs at docking and undocking with the tug replying by whistle.

The most unique thing on any ship would be the builder’s plaque which would state the ships name when launched, the builder, the builders yard number, and might give the dates of keel laying and launching. Most were made from cast bronze.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom