The "Smoking" Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never smoked, so my comments would be hearsay at best and fabricated at worst, so I'll skip them and merely note that on the last boat trip I was on, a (what's a nice word for shift-key-and-a-bunch-of-numbers?) smoker inadvertantly burned a hole in my new drysuit. :m16:

You can rest assured that *my* air consumption went through the roof, but that was topside, so I didn't get any numbers on it.

Sorry to hear that ClayJar.

What you experience is why I'm starting to not just dive alongside any ole diver. I'm starting to get a little picky recently.

O-ring:
You know what they say...you can take the boy out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Oklahoma out of the boy...

You would look REALLY cool chewing good old leafy Red Man on your next dive trip....it makes a good quality spit that is kind of a cross between burnt coffee and maple syrup..

:spew:

Great for picking up the female divers!:10:

Smokers lungs/bodies are accustomed to functioning in an oxygen depleted state. So ...you could say that a smoker has kind of a sick advantage when it comes to breathing while diving.

'Slogger

iam a heavy smoker and i normaly have a smoke before a dive during a surface interval and rite after. i usaly get about an hour and a half to two hours off one tank (80 cubic ft) and still have at least 500 psi left over. oh well this is the first time smoking has come in handy for me besides meating new people. well hope iam not making all you non smokers mad at us smokers for once breathing better.....lol but only under water...

Imho, smoking doesn't make you use less air.

When I just started diving, I also thought that smokers conserve air better, because two of my diver friends, who are smokers, consumed much less air than me and the rest of the divers who don't smoke.

As time goes by, I dive more and more often, my air consumption is now comparable to them. I guess yes, smokers do have advantage because they used to breath deep and slow during smoking, which is good when you use it for breathing with regulator.
But you don't need to be a smoker to do that, the more dive you do, you'll find the 'secret'.

Relax.

chad-purdy:
besides meating new people.

Dude,

Smoking can lead to erectile dysfunction and shorten your meating career.:rofl3:

Man, are you guys funny. Unless someone has an ability to tolerate a high carbon dioxide level due to a very long career as a smoker there is no physiological reason they would use less air. Well, there is that smokers are soooo cool thing.

O-ring:
You know what they say...you can take the boy out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Oklahoma out of the boy...

You would look REALLY cool chewing good old leafy Red Man on your next dive trip....it makes a good quality spit that is kind of a cross between burnt coffee and maple syrup..

:spew:

Since i switched back to redman from copenhagen, I have noticed a signifigant increase in my natural defog ablity:)

ClayJar:
I've never smoked, so my comments would be hearsay at best and fabricated at worst, so I'll skip them and merely note that on the last boat trip I was on, a (what's a nice word for shift-key-and-a-bunch-of-numbers?) smoker inadvertantly burned a hole in my new drysuit. :m16:

You can rest assured that *my* air consumption went through the roof, but that was topside, so I didn't get any numbers on it.

There isn't one.

I would have to conclude that smoking has nothing to with better or worse bottom times. I've been a smoker for that past 13 years (1/2 to 1 pack a day). ..and an on-off runner. I've noticed that the only thing that affects my running is not running often enough...but my lungs have still managed to carry me through a marathon last year. If I had to guess, it all depends on your comfort level while your down under. My bottom times have been getting a little longer with each dive.

Back
Top Bottom