The swim-through that wasn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradshsi:
What was the depth where the incident occurred ? (I didn't see it mentioned anywhere).

I'm glad you survived your overhead incident. It could easily have been much worse.

I haven't downloaded my profile from my computer yet, so I can't give you an accurate value. But I would say it was in the region of 15m (the average depth for most of the dive was about 13m).

I will check my profile and give an update. It will be interesting to compare my guess to the actual value (test of dive awareness). Though I will probably flunk given my state of mind during the dive (as in: air-head).

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. It is heartening to know that others can and have learnt from this incident. Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread - it is appreciated.

I keep remembering just how still everything was when I realised that I was well and truly stuck. In my mind's eye, I "see" the sand particles dropping out of suspension to the bottom as I stopped struggling. All that I could hear was my own breathing. It was an incredible moment of introspection and realisation of my own mortality (and mind-numbing stupidity). This re-run has been going through my head today again and again. It is a defining moment to have an experience like this.

I took a bit of a beating over the phone from my Dad today (he recently qualified as a DM), but I feel that I am fair game. I am truly grateful that I can learn from this experience - the other option is just too horrible to contemplate.

Cheers,

Andrew

SA-Diver:
Andrew

Good to see you back on the board - in more than one sense.

Glad that it turned out well.

I'm also happy to hear that the Shoal is behaving well - even if some divers aren't :wink:

We are off to Moz for three weeks on Thursday.

You should come and cave dive with us at Badgat - with training of course.

Kobus,

Thanks for the best wishes (and the slap on the wrist)!

Enjoy Mozambique! I have just bought a basic SUV so that I can make the trip up there via Kosi Bay. Hope to give it a shot soon. Three weeks! Sheesh, some people have lekker jobs.

By the way, if you get a chance, things are looking promising on the Shoal - last week three Whale Sharks were spotted at the Umkomaas River mouth. Mind you, after three weeks in Moz, you will probably be sick of seeing Whale Sharks and Mantas :wink:

Badgat - now that sounds delightful. Is it better than Miracle Waters...?

Cheers,

Andrew

WOW. So glad you are ok and are able to use this as an experience not as an opportunity to use your life insurance!

I started breathing heavy just reading your description!

While I have not had this wild of an experience, I have had a few also that got me in panic mode and I really understand your statement that panic will do you no good. If there is one thing I have learned in a couple years of diving is how to stop, analyze and think about a situation instead of reacting!

Jeff

Glad you made out ok on that dive. I think we have to be cautious, when, as divers, we gain more experience and start to ride the edge of our training/exp. level on more advanced dives. I try to never exceed my exp. level and train to keep ahead of the game. But that's not always easy. Sometimes we do a dive and then realize while at depth that maybe we're right on the edge of ability. We need to push ourselves a little to learn, but in diving that can be dangerous. And the briefings don't always give you the full picture. I did some diving in San Salvador Bahamas back in Sept. and some of the chimneys/swim throughs were pretty advanced. I understood that they were deep and somewhat tight in the briefing, but not until I did the dive did I get the real picture. I hit 143 fsw on one! I expected about 130+ for a brief time but not 143. I got a little narced to say the least on that dive! Now had I got into a situation like yours, well being narced and all could have been a big problem. I think before I do any Blue Holes and stuff I'll take Cavern and then some. Some ops out there are taking divers to almost 200 fsw in Blue Holes and stuff. Sounds like crazy "trust me" dives. If something goes really wrong I'd like to have the training and gear to get me back.

Wow! Thank you very much for sharing. Well written and you certainly got my pulse going. I believe I have also learned from your experience. Glad that you are alright, and once again, thanks for sharing.

Whew!! :11: Glad you escaped unharmed.

You've never seen a reg fail, have you? I had one failed 30 minutes before a 110 ft deep dive once, and one fail on a dive once. Rare, but it happens. If you'd realized that, I doubt that you would have left your buddy, entered the cave, or ventured off alone inside - 3 glaring mistakes. Of course, you'll see my mistakes posted here and there on this forum, too.

You're still new to diving. Stick to the rules you were taught and be careful. :thumb:

DandyDon:
Whew!! :11: Glad you escaped unharmed.

You've never seen a reg fail, have you? I had one failed 30 minutes before a 110 ft deep dive once, and one fail on a dive once. Rare, but it happens. If you'd realized that, I doubt that you would have left your buddy, entered the cave, or ventured off alone inside - 3 glaring mistakes. Of course, you'll see my mistakes posted here and there on this forum, too.

You're still new to diving. Stick to the rules you were taught and be careful. :thumb:

Thanks Don,

I am sure planning on being "old to diving", so I am going to pay a lot more attention to my actions from now on.

You're quite right - a single failure on any point of my regulator would probably have sealed the deal.

On the bright side, this incident has got me thinking seriously about what contingency plans I have for incidents and failures underwater and on the surface. I have been found sorely lacking. I have also used this particular sub-forum as a source of ideas of what can go wrong and what prudent measures can be taken (without looking like a scuba christmas tree).

So there is some gear I need to purchase, some I need to replace and some more training that I need to get under my weightbelt. There is also the small matter of getting myself in shape and fit.

As I mentioned before, I really want to be "old to diving". :eek:ldman:

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew

The 'slap' on the wrist was more because I am glad you came out OK. From your first post it was quite clear that you fully realise what went wrong - I don't see any need to remind you of that.

On to more pleasant things. Even though I love Mozambique, my bext dives ever have been on the Shoal, the Produce and Castle Rock just South of the Shoal (this is a small reef with awesome swim throughs by the way).
We dive the Shoal once a month, which is a lot considering I live in Pretoria.

Badgat is a hell of a lot better than Miracle/Bass. It is an unused mine with the main section about 50m deep, a large cavern at appr. 18m, and tunnels which have been measured up to 186m. The visibility is usually awesome, especially in the tunnels.

It is near Badplaas, which means it is not too far from you either (3hours drive from Pretoria).

All sorts of tech training takes place there.

When is your next dive?

Kobus

<< Looks like a "like a scuba christmas tree" and stills screws up in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom