The swim-through that wasn't

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good post!

I am glad to have learned that if I or anybody else gets caught in a similar situation, a simple roll may be the trick to get free. I also noted the cautions associated with an overhead environment.

The assumed situation of your buddy not looking out for you really gets my gut in knots. Just goes to show we need to look out for eachother and not just our buddies. Yet I have seen a boyfriend and girlfriend buddy team not look out for eachother. One of the weirdest nonsense I have ever seen. Although the woman had a non-life threatening free flow from her octo, I signalled to her with my octo turned down in the water so as to remind her of turning her octo upside down to stop the free flow. The guy was long ahead of us and my buddy. I guess if a couple were married, loosing watch over a spouse might be one way to try to get out of a marriage without a divorce.

Anyway, thanks for the lesson learned.

I submitted an edited version of this event to my local diving magazine, Divestyle. To my surprise, it was published in this month's Holiday Edition!

The caricature that was published with the story tickled me pink (drawn by Jason of comix.co.za):

swimthru.png

So, on the bright side, I managed to win a new Tusa Hyperdry mask for sending in my story. Every cloud...

Cheers,

Andrew

very nice....

Small enclosed areas are almost never apealing to me.....

Andrew, Congrats on having your story published and winning a mask!

Very cute cartoon.

Had the same thing happen to my buddy and I in Jamaica, we were following our skinny as a rail DM as he was leading us through several swim throughs. They seemed to be getting smaller and smaller. Both my buddy and I are XL (he is over 6' and 250 pds I am 5' 10' and 220 pds) I scraped through the last one and turned to see my buddy wedged by a coal outcropping that caught his tank. Luckily there was another diver behind him that was able to get it un-caught and he was able to continue through. I wasn't able to reach past the opening and my buddy to help and just as I was preparing to swim up and over to the other side to help from behind he was freed.

SO....

1. Just cause a DM fits through doesn't mean you can
2. Make sure and check on your buddies or other divers in the group, the DM swam merrily away while all this was going on, only returning when he noticed none of us behind him.
3. Know your limits (both diving and dimensionally speaking!)

Mike

Although an older post, the lesson learned was good to review.

Reminds me of an old joke, Lucky Boy!, Lucky Boy!, Lucky Boy.

Amazing story... you did a great job of trying to think it thru and remain calm.

I'm sure you have beaten your self... but I also think a great big can of whoop ***** aught to be opened up on the DM... First for leading a diver into a constriction and then for not sticking around to make sure all was well.

I apreciate the self critique but really where was the DM and does he still lead guests into real CF's?

Well, the boy could have been one (fish ones) if he hadn't had a good buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom