The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's winding down, thank God. Hope this decrease keeps up. It should.

Napolitano: H1N1 seems no worse than regular flu The swine flu virus that has sparked fear and precautions worldwide appears to be no more dangerous than the regular flu virus that makes its rounds each year, U.S. officials said Monday. "The severity of the flu -- how sick you get -- is not stronger than regular seasonal flu," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said as the worldwide number of confirmed cases of 2009 H1N1 flu topped 1,085. full story

It's winding down, thank God.

Too little, too late for me, though. Continental just called and they have cancelled our flights to/from Coz 5/16-5/23. They *might* have flights to/from Cancun 5/17-5/25.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

David

Too little, too late for me, though. Continental just called and they have cancelled our flights to/from Coz 5/16-5/23. They *might* have flights to/from Cancun 5/17-5/25.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

David

I know they've rescheduled and consolidated some flights, but they aren't canceling flights in here all together. Check with them again.

It's winding down, thank God. Hope this decrease keeps up. It should.

Napolitano: H1N1 seems no worse than regular flu The swine flu virus that has sparked fear and precautions worldwide appears to be no more dangerous than the regular flu virus that makes its rounds each year, U.S. officials said Monday. "The severity of the flu -- how sick you get -- is not stronger than regular seasonal flu," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said as the worldwide number of confirmed cases of 2009 H1N1 flu topped 1,085. full story

They've been saying this for several days!!!!!!!! It's the point SEVERAL of us have been trying to make! But I guess if you'd been posting and reading CURRENT updates you'd know that.

HOLA EVERYONE ABOUT THE CASES I MENTIONED BEFORE IN QUINTANA ROO, THEY WERE ALL ATTENDED ON TIME AND NO DEATHS NOR OTHER CASES REPORTED

REPORTE DE LA OFICINA DE COMUNICACION SOCIAL DEL HONORABLE GOBIERNO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO
FROM THE OFFICE OF SOCIAL COMMUNICATION OF THE HONORABLE GOVERNMENT OF THE STATE OF QUINTANA ROO
04 de Mayo del 2009 | 12:09

CHETUMAL, Q. Roo.- El Instituto Nacional de Diagnóstico y Referencia Epidemiológica reportó tres casos positivos de influenza humana en Quintana Roo, cuyos pacientes ya fueron dados de alta.

En un comunicado, el secretario estatal de Salud, Juan Carlos Azueta Cárdenas, explicó que los enfermos fueron detectados en Chetumal, Felipe Carrillo Puerto y Cancún por la campaña normal de detección oportuna de casos de influenza.

De ahí, abundó, se les aplicó el tratamiento apropiado, en la primera fase de la enfermedad, en la que es primordial la atención inmediata. Señaló que tras el tratamiento adecuado y oportuno se encuentran bien de salud, recuperados totalmente y libres de contagio.

El funcionario estatal dijo que con los antivirales aplicados han creado anticuerpos que les permiten no volver a contraer el virus ni ser fuente de contagio.

Destacó que debido a la intensa campaña de monitoreo y análisis permanente que mantiene el Comité Estatal para la Seguridad en Salud, se atendieron a estas tres personas y en menos de 72 horas luego de su ingreso a los hospitales, recibieron los medicamentos y reaccionaron de manera favorable.

]TRANSLATION:
THE NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF REFERENCE AND EPIDEMIOLOGY DIAGNOSTICS REPORTED 3 CASES THAT WERE RELEASED FROM HOSPITALS.
THE STATE SECRETARY OF HEALTH EXPLAINED THAT THE ILL CASES REPORTED WERE 1 IN CHETUMAL, 1 IN CARRILLO PUERTO AND 1 IN CANCUN DUE TO THE CAMPAIGN OF EARLY DETECTION OF HUMAN INFLUENZA.
FROM THERE HE SAID THAT THEY WERE TREATED WITH APPROPIEDLY ON THE 1ST STAGE OF THE ILLNESS ON WHAT IS IMPORTANT THE IMMEDIATE ATTENTION, HE REPORTED THAT AFTER THE PROPER TREATMENT THEY ARE HEALTHY AND SAFE AND NON CONTAGIOUS RECUPERATED TOTALLY. THE STATE SECRETARY OF HEALTH ALSO SAID THAT THE TREATMENT PERMITS THEM TO BE FREE OF THE VIRUS AND TO GET IT AGAIN. DUE TO THE CAMPAIGN OF DETECTION AND PERMANENT ANALYSIS FROM THE HEALTH SECURITY HEALTH COMITEE, 72 HOURS AFTER THIS 3 PEOPLE CAME IN HOSPITALS THEY RECEIVED MEDICATION AND REACTED FAVORABLY.

They've been saying this for several days!!!!!!!! It's the point SEVERAL of us have been trying to make! But I guess if you'd been posting and reading CURRENT updates you'd know that.

um, no she just said it today. Did you know all this before she did? :D

"The measures we have taken, and above all the public's reaction, have led to an improvement," Mexico City Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said at a news conference.

"But I insist that the virus is still present, that we need to remain on alert, and the resumption of activities will be little by little, not all at once."

I know they've rescheduled and consolidated some flights, but they aren't canceling flights in here all together. Check with them again.

That's what happened to our flight on the 26th., Christi. They consolidated 2 flights and put everyone on 1 plane for that day going to Cozumel. What a shame.

I mentioned the Continental cuts backs days ago, and again in more detail last night. :silly: One plane I looked at this week was only 2/3 full after combining. Can't ask them to fly empty planes @ $300 RT including taxes.

Cancun hotel occupancy is less than half. Many people are just not ready.

As far as how bad this is, how seriously to take it - I am not qualified to tell the CDC. For those of you who know more than they do, please do let them know you are available to help them. :wink:

I don't remember what the actual wording that he used was, but the upshot is that we no longer have a flight and all the other flights direct to Coz are extremely oversold so we couldn't get on any of those, either. Our best shot is going to be flying in and out of Cancun. Not optimal, but if we can make it work, that's what we'll do. Next flights that they had in/out of Coz for us were early June, but that's a non-player due to time constraints...

Back
Top Bottom