The term "Skin Diver".

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that as every type of diver group got large enough they staked out a name to describe their hobbie.

When I started everyone was a skindiver because that is all the public could wrap their head around, since we were to them obviously few and daft. Being a skindiver (no suit, with SCUBA) back in Massachusetts, where I started diving, made for a short season or the reason crazy was associated with diver. I was however, young and really liked to dive.

Bob
-------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Sometime in the early 60's the 2 terms diverged. SCUBA diving was used to describe a diver with tanks, skin diving was used to describe snorkling/freediving.
The text book we used for class was "The new science of Skin and Scuba Diving".

Kachink (as a cash register)...I underwent NAUI scuba diving training in 1978 and proudly graduated from both courses...NAUI Skin Diver (read snorkeling) and NAUI Scuba diver. This is exactly how my two C-cards read verbatimly...Skin diver and Scuba diver.

That and the US Navy Diving Manual were the texts used in my first diving class. At least in Northern California, Skin and SCUBA diving were the same and today’s freediving was snorkeling. To us, freediving was also SCUBA. These old books are interesting and show the range of nomenclature of the day:

The Vintage Book Collection

View attachment 112909

Granted, I am a geezer, but I still used the acronym SCUBA well into the late 1990s. Actually, it still slips onto the keyboard now and then. :idk:

I've still got the hardcover version I used in '63 when my dad and I read the book and taught ourselves how to SCUBA dive.

I still used the acronym SCUBA because it is not a noun or verb it's a peice of "life support" gear. I couldn't help myself.

Bob
----------------------

I'm just thankful that "goggling" as the term of choice for breath-hold spear-fishing has gone out of fashion.

Guy Gilpatric's The Compleat Goggler (published first in 1938, later given away with Skin Diving subscriptions) is a fascinating read. The book is now rare and expensive, but excerpts appear from time to time in anthologies.

Gilpatric influenced the Cousteaus (Jaques and Simone) and many other pioneers of the sport(s). Cousteau himself called free diving "goggling" at least in the translations of his work that I've read.

-Bryan

When I was a kid in the 60s my brother (11 years older in his late teens and later) was a diver. He wore the Mike Nelson gear, round mask, etc. and got his tank filled at a gas station. He was a skin diver--pretty much what we do today as "scuba divers" but with high tech. stuff. He hasn't dived for decades, is 69 and still a competitive swimmer (in his age bracket...).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but taking into consideration that there was no "SCUBA gear" in the late 50's early 60's, but there were Aqua-lungs. Calling someone an "Aqua-lung diver" seems like a very odd term to me. As an American, "skin-diver" sounds much better, for lack of a better sounding noun. It's just a theory.

That and the US Navy Diving Manual were the texts used in my first diving class. At least in Northern California, Skin and SCUBA diving were the same and today’s freediving was snorkeling. To us, freediving was also SCUBA. These old books are interesting and show the range of nomenclature of the day:

The Vintage Book Collection

View attachment 112909

Granted, I am a geezer, but I still used the acronym SCUBA well into the late 1990s. Actually, it still slips onto the keyboard now and then. :idk:

Hi Akimbo,

What's the book's copy-write date?

I have a 1962 hardcover copy, but it was first published in 1957 which would make the acronym somewhat older. Aqua Lung is a brand name.

Bob
--------------------------

There were scuba divers in the late 50s early 60s. Scuba is just the first letters of 'self contained underwater breathing appparatus', a term well understood back then, and used to describe the equipment. You might hear 'diving with scuba", or 'skin diving with scuba', or just plain 'scuba diver'. by the early 60s.

With all words, it is usage that determins meaning, so nuanced and subtle distinctions over time become standard. There was no scuba in the US in the forties, but there certainly was scuba (used as a description for the equipment) by the 50s. It's confusing, but 'skin diver' is the older term, first used for all divers not dressed in heavy boots, helmets, and tethered to a surface compressor. Eventually it was used interchangebably with scuba diver. Skin diver was the style, and scuba was the equipment, except for breath hold skin divers who did not use scuba. All were generally referred to as skin divers.

Breath holddivers were never called scuba divers, but scuba divers were called skin divers for a long, long time, and sometimes still are. The 'skin' word refers to the lack of heavy canvas dive suits, especially because in the very early days, before good neoprene suits, divers basically wore nothing but a bathing suit.

Aqua Lung is now and was then a regestered patented trade name for a specific company. Nobody said Aqualung diver because it would be like saying BMW motorcycle driver. Scuba, on the other hand is generic, it refers to a type of equipment, not a company. 'Skin' was nothing more than a word used to distinguish heavily suited divers from those diving without such gear. As was pointed out several times, the term 'skin diver' was, for a long time, understood to mean all divers, snorkelers, free divers, scuba divers, etc., who were not using heavy commercial equipment. Old C cards and telephone business directories listed dive shops under the heading "Skin Diving Equipment and Training". It is only in the recent past, for perhaps only 30 years, that skin diver and scuba diver came to have searate and distinct meanings.

This is the first edition, 1957.
Picture2091.jpg

Here, Mike Nelson explains it all
Picture2088.jpg

The Carriers also call it skin diving in 1955
Picture058.jpg

But in that same year Owen calls it free diving
Picture2089.jpg

Hans Hass is SCUBA diving without a regulator... how does he do it?
Picture056.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom