The Truth about Dive Paradise and the ScubaBoard Invasion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told by one of the organizers that all the savings for the package was passed on to the group. Even if it wasn't, before I booked I priced out the package on my own and determined it was a pretty good deal. In effect, all the afternoon dives were free compared to if you put the package together on your own.

One question: Do any of the organizers or Scubaboard staff receive any sort of perks from DP or the hotel or other providers beyond what the regular Invasion attendees receive, such as free or extra-discounted room/board or free dives?
I would certainly hope so. Such is normal, as it should be for doing so much work and putting up with so much grief. I bet that Cardzard felt like a full time employee while he was there.

But as long as the participants get a good deal, I don't guess it matters.

If the group organizers choose to partake any offered perks, I do not have a problem with it. It takes a lot of time to put together a trip, and often times they take a lot of grief.

I would certainly hope so. Such is normal, as it should be for doing so much work and putting up with so much grief. I bet that Cardzard felt like a full time employee while he was there.

But as long as the participants get a good deal, I don't guess it matters.

If the group organizers choose to partake any offered perks, I do not have a problem with it. It takes a lot of time to put together a trip, and often times they take a lot of grief.

I hope that's not at all the case. I figured they organized it because they wanted to, not because they were getting something out of it.

I guess the volunteer spirit is dead and gone nowadays.

I've organized conferences for years. It's a very common practice that when the organizer books the hotel for the event, she receives a certain number of complimentary rooms. The organizer can then give out the rooms as she pleases. Believe me, the person that puts a conference (or invasion!) together deserves the perks. She's having to work out all the details, deal with disatisfied attendees (probably doesn't happen with scuba divers :) ), receive phone calls in the middle of the night from hotel staff regarding disorderly attendees (oh no, not divers!), get all the activities scheduled, etc., etc., etc. Gosh, when you calculate all the time put in, she probably makes about a nickel an hour! Perks are very welcomed and earned!

cvchief, I do not think you are required to be with the group 24/7. If you choose to meet friends on the island for dinner instead of doing something with the group I think everyone will be ok with it. It just that any group activities such as diving, hotel reservations and any other group activities are restricted to official invasion crew, and I think it should be that way for a group this size. They had around 100 people this year, and I suspect they might have a lot more next year.

Cardzard, if my understanding is not correct I apologize.

Not exactly where I was coming from. I get the whole closed trip thing and that fine. CZ puts it together and sets the rules which is ok too. It sounds like a great time. I was just inquiring for someone like me who owns a place. Obviously I wouldn't want to stay at the hotel. And I probably wouldn't come on the diving. I might buy a dinner ticket though and socialize. I wouldn't want to be part of any drawing and give aways or the like. I don't want something for nothing. I wouldn't go out of my way to be there just to come to dinner, but if I was on La Isla it would have been nice. I wouldn't think it would be more than what? 15 extras at the most? Like I said, I don't think anyone would come specially for the Invasion and not be on it. I do absolutely think CZ as the guy doing the work should set whatever rules work for him. Clearly it was a successful event by all reports. Heck the SB dinners I helped arrange maxed out at maybe 7 or 8 SB'ers. Last trip, we all fit in one compact car... Thanks Basscat! Without you it would not have been an SB dinner....

I hope that's not at all the case. I figured they organized it because they wanted to, not because they were getting something out of it.

I guess the volunteer spirit is dead and gone nowadays.
As I said, I do not do know if they are using any perks or not. It is a lot of work to put this together. Have you put a trip together before? I have for a group of twenty, and it is a lot of time and work to do so. There can be a lot of complaining especially in a group this size.

Obviously, there are people in both camps as far as feelings go. I do not think either camp is wrong. If one feels that group leaders using perks is wrong then they may skip going with the group.

Just looking at Dive Paradise' website It looks like booking their package deal on your own would cost you $200 more. So I am not sure if the group leaders are using perks or passing all savings to the group, but either way you are getting a great deal compared to what you would ge on your own.

One question: Do any of the organizers or Scubaboard staff receive any sort of perks from DP or the hotel or other providers beyond what the regular Invasion attendees receive, such as free or extra-discounted room/board or free dives?

Of course there are perks to the organizers, along lots of hours put into making and event this size happen.
What are those perks, that is private.

I can tell you ScubaBoard does not make a dime off this event.
I can also tell you this is an unbeatable package and is not offered anywhere else but here on ScubaBoard.

If you do not feel that the Invasion package is for you that's fine.

Not exactly where I was coming from. I get the whole closed trip thing and that fine. CZ puts it together and sets the rules which is ok too. It sounds like a great time. I was just inquiring for someone like me who owns a place. Obviously I wouldn't want to stay at the hotel. And I probably wouldn't come on the diving. I might buy a dinner ticket though and socialize. I wouldn't want to be part of any drawing and give aways or the like. I don't want something for nothing. I wouldn't go out of my way to be there just to come to dinner, but if I was on La Isla it would have been nice. I wouldn't think it would be more than what? 15 extras at the most? Like I said, I don't think anyone would come specially for the Invasion and not be on it. I do absolutely think CZ as the guy doing the work should set whatever rules work for him. Clearly it was a successful event by all reports. Heck the SB dinners I helped arrange maxed out at maybe 7 or 8 SB'ers. Last trip, we all fit in one compact car... Thanks Basscat! Without you it would not have been an SB dinner....

I wish I owned a home on Cozumel. :) It would be nice if there was a way to accomadate people in your position to join the Invasion group. Even if for just one socializing event. Not my call, and as you say CZ sets the rules that best work for him.

As I said, I do not do know if they are using any perks or not. It is a lot of work to put this together. Have you put a trip together before? I have for a group of twenty, and it is a lot of time and work to do so. There can be a lot of complaining especially in a group this size.
That's the what the travel agency is for, and it's assumed they get a commission. Sure, there's a bit of coordination between the various entities involving a few phone calls and e-mails, so I think it's a nice gesture if the attendees buy the organizers a beer or two. Maybe even pick up their dinner tab. Complainers need not be invited back.

Just looking at Dive Paradise' website It looks like booking their package deal on your own would cost you $200 more. So I am not sure if the group leaders are using perks or passing all savings to the group, but either way you are getting a great deal compared to what you would ge on your own.
Of course they'll lower their rates for a huge group in the off-season. The question is how much lower could they be if the organizers volunteered instead of doing it for the sake of kickbacks and freebies?

The organizers won't disclose their perks, yet insist that choosing Dive Paradise has nothing to do with self-interest. Whenever there are kickbacks, however, it's difficult not to question whether there's a conflict of interest, between choosing the best deal for the organizers versus the best deal for the attendees.

You're right, it's not for me.

Back
Top Bottom