The Underwater GoPro Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, gave it a read over.

The Short:
It reads like a quick start, and a manual with an instant glossary, laid out in simple flowing steps.

If you've just started with a gopro and underwater, this book will no doubt be very helpful, understanding settings, accessories and techniques required using a video system under water.

If you've been using a gopro for quite a while (or any photo/video setup) know what your doing with it (to a point) and looking for more details, this book is probably not for you.

I have no doubts that Peters courses can help take you to 'the next level' with shooting and editing your footage if you fall into the later category.

It was $21.99CAD for an e-book.

The Long:
The book is very well laid out into 23 small chapters that talks about gopro settings (hero2-hero4), media, underwater safety, shooting techniques , mounts/lights/accessories, entries/exits, maintenance, etiquette, and editing workflow.

There is very little branding (if any other besides gopro, and some editing software) or suggestions about equipment, just types.

Some paragraphs are repetitive (explaining differences in video resolution), and on occasion referencing itself to media that doesn't exist.

The complaints are small compared to the information that is shared to a new gopro user.

It's a nice, easy read that flows from chapter to chapter, with relevant photos, some embedded video, and links to other media on the web.

If your looking for an underwater video technique book (content or editing), this isn't it. If your looking for how best to use your newly acquired gopro, then this may be the book for you.

BRad

Good review, thank you.

It doesn't appear to me, an accomplished googler, to be an essential resource when so many blogs and videos are available on the web for free. Ironically, it might be best for the people who are not as technologically savvy as they'd need to be to use an ebook.

Hi everyone,
Here is some more info on what is inside this 20,000 word eBook:

The eBook contains information that I've developed over years of shooting video underwater with all sizes of video rigs. There are tips and tricks to getting steady video footage from the GoPro. I've been teaching the Underwater GoPro course since writing it in April 2014, and the book addresses all of the problems that I see in the pool with shooting techniques, and I go into the methods of adjusting the way one dives when shooting. I've had some really accomplished divers, from instructors to cave divers do the course and they all walk away with a great deal of learning.

The book has a chapter on safety, which is a distillation of all of the potential problems and dangers that I've seen over the years along with a list of priorities for best practices when shooting underwater.

Etiquette seems to have gone out the window lately with the proliferation of GoPro use. The book talks about what to do and what not to do, and addresses ways to avoid annoying divers and dive guides.

Working with a model (your dive buddy) can be complicated and fraught with misunderstandings, so there's a section in the book on that too.

I cover what accessories are the best value for money, talking also about what to avoid.

Lighting techniques, the purchase of lights and tricks on how to avoid backscatter.

Maintenance tips, workflow suggestions, and shot-list advice are all included in the book and are all based in experience.

Settings for underwater: an explanation of what they all mean and which ones work best for divers. Who should use Protune, ISO limits for wreck shoots..

Macro: settings needed to make it work.

There's a lot here that you won't find on the web. Most videographers keep their methods and skills a secret, but I'm spilling my guts.
Hope you all enjoy the eBook. I put months of work into it and there are years of underwater shooting experience behind the text.

Will it be available as a "real" book? No disrespect intended, I just don't do e books or kindle.

Dave

Hey Dave,
The dive shop has requested hardcopies, so I will get on it next Month. I'll posted something.

---------- Post added January 28th, 2015 at 04:47 AM ----------

Jill Heinerth recommends the Underwater GoPro Book

---------- Post added January 28th, 2015 at 04:50 PM ----------

Hey,
I have made a PDF version of the eBook.
Drop me a line at peterbucknell@mac.com
Pete

---------- Post added January 28th, 2015 at 04:56 PM ----------

Gday Chief,
email me and I can get you a PDF version.
peterbucknell@mac.com

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom