The Untold Story Of Grand Cayman's Oro Verde

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived in Grand Cayman in 1979, and the Oro Verde had been abandoned and beached on a sandbar. One of our family friends, who used to own the Rum Point club and motel, took us to her at least a half dozen times that fall. I have very vivid memories of running off the deck and jumping into the water below.

We moved back to the states in January 1980, and I did not see the wreck again until I returned in the summer of 1983 to attend Scuba Camp. By then she had been sunk, and my recollection was that she was laying on her side.

I lived in Grand Cayman in 1979, and the Oro Verde had been abandoned and beached on a sandbar. One of our family friends, who used to own the Rum Point club and motel, took us to her at least a half dozen times that fall. I have very vivid memories of running off the deck and jumping into the water below.

We moved back to the states in January 1980, and I did not see the wreck again until I returned in the summer of 1983 to attend Scuba Camp. By then she had been sunk, and my recollection was that she was laying on her side.
You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you?

I can check my log books but when we dove the oro verde in GC in the 80s it was off SMB, it was fully intact and upright. It was described then as the sister ship to the US Pueblo. It was a nice wreck dive. I was surprised to see recent pictures of just scattered debris.

I looked around, but couldn't find any. Sorry. :(
Thanks for looking. I live and work on Grand Cayman so would be interested to see from the pictures where the ship was grounded. No problem, I'm sure one will turn up at some point

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom