The various scuba diving organizations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the WRSTC for sport agencies (not all there but SOME are)

WRSTC :: World Recreational Scuba Training Council

The situation in some European countries is mind-boggling... large numbers
Two of the most respected sport agencies are BSAC (British Sub Aqua Club) and CMAS.

NAUI is also missing from the list...

Tech agencies are a whole other kettle of fish.

To get started:

ANDI
IANTD
TDI
PSAI
NACD
NSS-CDS
GUE
UTD

aw, Steve, you forgot NAUI from the list of Tec agencies. tsk, tsk. And NAUI is not a member of the WRSTC as they (we) are a member driven, democratic training agency and really can't be a member of an organization that could dictate terms that might disagree with the membership. So, NAUI, like so many other fine agencies, simply meets or exceeds standards set forth by WRSTC.

As far as I know, all recreational scuba certifying agencies will accept most training from other agencies. Details and terminology will vary, some will require a pre-assessment, but very little of your previous training should go completely unrecognized. After all, the agencies probably want your business.

fwiw, a more complete list of agencies who offer recreational scuba training in the US:
ACUC
ANDI
BSAC
CMAS
GUE
HSA
IAHD
IANTD
IDEA
LACUIA
MDEA
NASE
NAUI
PADI
PDIC
PSAI
SDI
SEI
SSI
UTD

Many of them also offer tech training. Some that are tech only:
NACD
NSS-CDS
TDI

Add other countries and the first list grows to about 50 in number, the second to a dozen.
And since CMAS is actually a group of affiliated agencies (as is another, smaller macro-agency - CEDIP) the total list is about 150.
At one time the list, including URLs, was available here on ScubaBoard, but got lost in one of the transitions. I still maintain the list for grins. If anyone wants it, just PM me a regular email address.

Matt, here’s an adjunct to / excerpt from that list that you as a physician might find of interest:
PART 4 – Research
AAUS - American Academy of Underwater Sciences Introduction to AAUS and Scientific Diving
CEDAM - Conservation, Education, Diving, Awareness and Marine-research http://cedaminternational.wordpress.com/
DAN - Divers Alert Network DAN: Divers Alert Network - Scuba Diving and Dive Safety Association
DOSA - Duik Ongevallen Statistiek en Analyse Home
GBRS - Groupe Belge de Recherches Scientifiques Sous-Marines Groupe Belge de Recherche Scientifique Sous-Marine - Acceuil
Rubicon - collects diving, aviation, and environmental research Rubicon Foundation
SPUMS - South Pacific Underwater Medical Society Welcome to the website of the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society | SPUMS
UHMS - Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society

I’ve especially found UHMS and Rubicon quite useful.

Last edited:
[

Actually you are not a PADI member. Must be at pro level ..you are certified by PADI.

Ah, I see. I guess I needed to be brought down a peg or two.

Hm, is there anything I am qualified to be a member of? How about ALSN (Association of Lowly Scuba Newbies)?

Matt, no they do not.... My AOW class for example is not for everyone. I didn't intend it to be....So for many divers I need to conduct an interview, set up skill evaluation sessions, remedial training, and in some cases tell them they need to get a few more dives in before they can enter my class...I really do not want to train the person who plans to do a couple dives a year only on vacation.

Whereas it's admirable that you have so much integrity with regard to training people thoroughly, I must say there was an instructor in my OW class who was rather off-putting with just this attitude of, "I don't know if you're qualified to be certified yet." Whereas the problem was his lack of skill as an instructor.

I think you could achieve your goals of training people well by simply training anyone who meets the qualification of the agency under which you're training, no matter what their long-term goals, but teach them all the extra non-required skills you like, testing them in those skills as you please. But if anyone doesn't seem to have learned adequately to be certified, consider whether it was due to their laziness/inattentiveness or not, and if not, give them whatever extra instruction they need to get them up to snuff, and certify them.

By the way, what is this book of yours that everybody recommends, and where can I get it? Thanks.

Ah, I see. I guess I needed to be brought down a peg or two.

Hm, is there anything I am qualified to be a member of? How about ALSN (Association of Lowly Scuba Newbies)?

Matt,
you are more than qualified to be a member of the club of people who just wanna go diving and have fun.

I think you could achieve your goals of training people well by simply training anyone who meets the qualification of the agency under which you're training, no matter what their long-term goals, but teach them all the extra non-required skills you like, testing them in those skills as you please.

This sort of thing has been hotly debated on the forum. A few points I recall from that:

1.) Some agencies (PADI being one) are said to basically mandate certification if a student passes the knowledge test and can do the skills, even if the instructor doesn't think he's 'ready.'

2.) The instructor can't add additional requirements and make demonstrating mastery of those a requirement of certification.

3.) Some instructors believe students should be trained to handle local conditions, and shouldn't get an OW cert. card unless and until they can. So, the student in a region of the U.S. with difficult entry/exit ocean shore diving conditions and chilly water with poor viz. would in theory face a different course from a student in Bonaire doing typically 'easy' shore dives in high viz, low current, warm water and predictable conditions (e.g.: not worried much about the tides).

So, if Jim taught for PADI, and a student managed to pass the written test and do all the PADI-required skills in a local quarry with good viz. & no current, but didn't do/learn the extra stuff Jim wanted to include, and Jim thought he was, to be blunt, a lousy diver and an accident-waiting-to-happen, Jim would in theory have to fork over a PADI OW card with Jim's name on it.

With SEI, Jim doesn't have to do that, and some Rescue skills are included in the basic OW class.

Whether and to what extent the basic OW courses of the mainstream agencies (e.g.: PADI, SSI, SDI, Naui) adequately prepare people for the status of an OW cert. is a subject for other threads. But I've tried to represent the issue faithfully here.

As to agencies that might interest you as a recreational diver, you may at some point get interested in the DIR system of diving, with a course such as GUE Fundamentals. Think emphasis on team diving, critically considered gear configuration and a strong emphasis on high quality personal dive skills, wrapped into a course that's pretty challenging, if all I've read about it is true (I haven't taken it).

Richard.

Matt,
you are more than qualified to be a member of the club of people who just wanna go diving and have fun.

Quite right, Jeff.

And sorry I left NAUI off the tech agencies... and to think, I used to teach for them! What an oversight! LOL

For my training I chose PADI. This is because Denver has a boatload of LDS's but most are PADI. There is one SSI, one NAUI, one UTD (tech), and maybe there is a GUE. That breaks down to maybe 8 PADI shops, and one each of the rest. I may be off a bit as the economy is weak.

I took training through Rescue. This is as far as I go for now. For my diving I am trained past most, and my diving skills stay sharp through use. I decided I did not want to do Cave, and many tech trained divers I know never use the training. Caves have little interest for me, I like reefs and marine diversity. UW caves are not my thing in fact I have been in a number of famous caves (Carlsbad, Crystal...) and they can be creepy.

As for the 20+ agencies I'm not sure what the differences are. I guess various flavors of training. Maybe you can find one that wears lime green! Seems like when you have a huge Ego you may end up with a new tech agency! :D

I can find plenty of awesome dives in 130' of water, and honestly the first 50' is spectacular! Coz is an exception where you can be at 140' and looking down at stuff you want to checkout as far as you can see. I always remember more deep = more danger. From my experience there is more on this planet than I will get to experience by a factor of 100X or more.

Whereas it's admirable that you have so much integrity with regard to training people thoroughly, I must say there was an instructor in my OW class who was rather off-putting with just this attitude of, "I don't know if you're qualified to be certified yet." Whereas the problem was his lack of skill as an instructor.

I think you could achieve your goals of training people well by simply training anyone who meets the qualification of the agency under which you're training, no matter what their long-term goals, but teach them all the extra non-required skills you like, testing them in those skills as you please. But if anyone doesn't seem to have learned adequately to be certified, consider whether it was due to their laziness/inattentiveness or not, and if not, give them whatever extra instruction they need to get them up to snuff, and certify them.

By the way, what is this book of yours that everybody recommends, and where can I get it? Thanks.

Hence the remedial training. Many times this is done at no cost other than gear rental if the student needs it. I also train as long as the student is willing within reason at no extra cost. I have a reputation for taking on difficult students and those with special needs and getting them through. Patience is one of the things as an instructor I have a lot of. As well as no shop owner telling me how to run my classes or dictating how long I have to do them.
N
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom