the water is cold!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

too much complaining by you california natives I think... :wink: you should embrace the cold, not hate it.... Maybe i've just lost my mind but im from Indiana, and had to swim in water in the 50's in a bathing suit for 2 hours... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... guess I got desensitized... Then again my akona semi-dry works wonders.. :dazzler1:

Seth, what is a certified sea ninja??? I want to be one...hhhiiiiyaah!

It was a balmy 34 degrees in the St-Laurence a few weeks ago. I was diving wet but never had a chance to see how well my wetsuit kept me warm in that water. My reg freeflowed uncontrollably, even after I breathed off my buddies reg and we switched the tank off to let'er thaw.... Oh well, it'll be awhile before the temp gets much higher so I'll have another chance to walk the line between being brave and being dumb.

scottfiji:
I think the high winds have been blowing the surface water away from shore, causing upwellings from the canyon - hence the lower water temperatures. Good news for dry suit makers!
I believe that this usually also brings with it MUCH better vis, but I'm surprised to hear about some less than stellar vis accompanying this cold upwelling.

There has also been talk of a plankton bloom which is supposed to have passed, so maybe now we're in for some super great vis!

I hope so! This weekend we'll be wanting to see something during the Wrinkles Dive at Leo Carrillo. :eyebrow:

Christian

Christian,

The plankton bloom was definitely in effect at old marineland... but below about 15 feet the visibility was actually really good (15+)...

Shaxs,
Sea ninja certification is a new certification I will be teaching in the near future... I am not sure exactly WHAT it is, but it will be worth the $599 HAHAHAHA....

Its actually a self dubbed title.. My friend and I used to say we would do something "shinobi ninja style" (meaning quiet and unseen), so I just translated it to scuba.... Sounds like an add on to a CCR course eh? maybe I should create it... :wink:

Just got back from La Jolla Canyon. 63 Wisdom degrees on the surface...49 degrees starting at 55FT!! Hands were freezing till they numbed up. Rest of me was toasty warm......and dry.

Best part of diving dry is the end when you peel it off and the only thing wet is your hair.

Terry

Hmmm... temps here at Catalina hace been unseasonably "warm" (57-59 F). Of course your offshore winds (which may have caused some cold water upwelling) are our onshore winds!

Dr. Bill

My son in law and I dove Catalina Sunday and thought the water was pretty warm for Catalina. Did 1 hour first dive and 48 min. second dive and didn't come up shivering or turning blue. Vis. was also pretty good. Just wish the sun would have shined a little more than it did. We dove off the Island Time out of Long Beach. Posted 3 of the better photo's in my gallery - (nothing special)
montyb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom