The weekends diving - A trip report!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So it was a busy weekend of diving! I originally planned on getting out friday evening for sea trials with my new BP/Wings, but two things happened. First was finding no convenient way to rig my pony [well, I could rig it right-side up, but I was seriously uncomfortable with not being able to reach my valves]... I spent the evening rigging my pony as a stage bottle. Second occurance was some friends from my dive club asking for assistance in a search and hopefully recovery dives this weekend.

I told them I couldn't dive sunday, I already had a spot on a charter, but I would be more than happy to help out on saturday, as long as we would be back in time for me to get fills for sunday morning.

So I was up early, got myself situated and all my gear packed up, and proceeded to dig around scubaboard to a point I ended up getting out of the house a little late. Thanks to the lack of police officers at that hour, I ended up the second to arrive. While everyone was busy wrapping/ tying/ weighting/ cutting/ looping/ spliceing, I was busy re-outfitting my BC from my BP harness [no sea trials today...]

Oh. The searching. They lost their sidescan sonar towfish about a month ago, and had absoutely no luck trying to find it. They came up with a more organized search method, and that's when they recruited us to get wet. Once everyone was there, we headed up to the parking lot for a dry run and practice... One diver on the line, holding one end of a 15 ft rope. One diver in middle holding the other end of that rope, a weight, and the other rope going to the 3rd diver. We used a post to practice putting down the one rope with the weight, unclipping the other rope, and running a reel back around the 'lobster line' to get by.

No sweat. So off we go. They start laying the transect [sp?] line, and all goes well. We then start running the perpendicular lines and that's when things got interesting... The weight of the line was a bit to much for the styrofoam flag buoys, and down they went...

There was enough floating line [I think it was polypropaline] to extend the lines enough to keep the flags on the surface, so we got out the rest of 'em. All in all, we had 5 or 6 flags out on the surface... which managed to disuade about 5% of the boaters [I think the harbormaster made a fortune in tickets on saturday!].

We started our first dive, two groups of three. We were only able to get one run done each, and didn't have any luck. As an aside however, I've _gotta_ get back there... the lobsters were just itching to be cooked! I think they knew I couldn't come up with bugs and no towfish, so they just came out and walked around... I grabbed one, probably about 4 lbs, just as I was swimming by, but I had to put him back [successful plan... leave the catch bag on the boat!].

While we 'surfaced intervaled' we pulled up the transects that we finished. One of the divers from my group decided to sit out for the second dive [due to acid reflux flairup]. So we went in with two. We decided to start from the shallower end, so we could ascend a line with a dive flag. The current was really starting to rip by now, and it was quite a fight against it along that transect. We got to the end and started heading back, but for some strange reason I was still going against the current. Turns out I was a little ahead of my buddy [with 15 ft lines and 13 ft vis, it's all just a guess :)]. I relaxed some, and drifted up about 6 or 7 ft to get a better angle to search. I saw an old 'classic style' anchor, and thought briefly about marking it, but I realized what that would do to the people up top, and then I'd be in all sorts of trouble... so I continued. I knew we were getting to the end of the run, and it was none too soon enough as I was down to about 1200 psi by this time [damn currents!]. I looked off to my right [the line was to my left] and I could just make out something 'curious' about 15 ft away. I tugged my buddy to break off from the line and follow, and after a couple feet I tugged wildly [the signal for 'I've found it' or 'man you gotta see the size of this bug!]. Sure enough, there it was! I pulled out my reel, hooked it to the towfish... pulled out my bag and was about to send up the bag when my buddy got my attention to stop. She started wrapping up the towfish with the reel, and I was getting really confused as she was wrapping quite strangely, then next I knew it was back the way I had it. She signalled she'd let the reel out, and I let the bag go. Up the ascent line we created and into our hang. I knew she was a couple feet above me, and I checked periodically. I finished my safety stop and glanced up...she was gone!

Up to the surface I went, and she was fine, she had just gone up to make sure they knew it was a definate hit, and to get some 'recovery' divers down.

Turns out... I was planning on marking the towfish, when she decided to try and lift it. Then she realized my reel was cave line and went back to using it as an ascent line/marker buoy.

A successful day!

We got back to the dock about 1/4 past 5:00. I ran up and over to the dive shop for my sunday fills, but they unfortunately closed at 5:00. I had an option to get my gear, and bolt out of there to make the dive shop that closed at 7:00 when I was informed the happy towfish owner had a compressor and would fill my tanks! [Impressive BTW: A trailer in his side yard decked out with 8 air banks, 3 nitrox banks, 2 o2 tanks, 2 helium tanks, and 4 banks of 17/40 [I believe it was].

Well, this got way longer than I had planned... so I'm gonna end it and I'lll follow up with sundays dives in a bit...

Ok now that I'm all showered, it's time for today's report!

So I got home saturday night about 10, asleep by 11:30, up by 4:00 and out by 5:00 to get down to Rhode Island to catch a charter w/ Raxafarian and his wife. Got down there a little early and started getting the stuff off my BC and onto the BP/wings... it's sea trials time!

We headed out to the Idene... I was a little nervous about testing out gear out there, but I dove it once before, and since it was a 3 person group I made sure to brief Ken and Lisa that if I signalled "I'm OK, but... byebye" it would be due to a gear issue and I was aborting and they could continue.

WE got out there, and the moring was gone, so out came the grapple and a little wreck fishing. First try we got it, but it didn't hold. Second try Ken was running the grapple and sure enough, Ken almost goes for a swim and the buoy goes flying overboard. Looks like a good sign to me!

We start gearing up when we overhear the Coast Guard advising to be on the lookout for a missing female diver. My mind flys with the thought of "oh god...not another accident". We discuss it, think about it, and decide to offer assistance. After about 10 minutes of trying to raise the CG, or the dive boat, we decide to forget it and dive. I thought more about it, and realized that if we went down and had a nice fun dive on the wreck, and found out that this woman died... well, it just wouldn't be right. So I bring up the issue again "maybe we really should try to help?". Capt. asks are we sure. I look at Ken, give my 'yea, I think so' nod, and Ken says yea... lets head over there and offer assistance.

We get to the site [we could see it all from where we were] and try to raise someone... but the Coast Guard tells us to wait. We back off into the current and search around. Another boat shows up and offers up 4 divers. They get a response, and it was "yes, any help underwater would be appreciated", so we started suiting up as we headed over. I ask Lisa if she's ok with this [a very new diver]. She says yes. "Are you sure?". "Yes". Ok. I tell Ken and Lisa to primarily look out for each other, and I'll stay with them but don't worry about me if we get separated, just make sure they both stay together. The Capt. dropped us off by the main boats bow line, and we start heading down. Lisa was having some troubles so I hung out while Ken went up to check. Ken came down and said 'wait' and went back up... the current was killin' me, so I headed down to wait by the anchor and hold onto a rock that I was eyeballing from the descent line. Ken showed up, let me know she was out of the water and not coming, and so we began. I clipped my reel off and started heading out perpendicular to the current. Ken was right beside me. I looked around some... then glanced over my shoulder and no Ken. OH S**T!

I let out another 15 ft or so of line, and start drifting circularly, hopfully Ken grabbed a rock or is swimming my way, and'll see the line coming, grab it and find me. Finished my half circle with no luck. I reeled back in and headed up.

Upon reaching the surface the captain of the dive boat with the missing diver was on the bow. I was basically giving the OK sign as I was surfacing, mask off and on backwards, reg out. "Please tell me Ken is on the surface!". I realized after I spoke that the tone really wasn't a good choice with this poor captain, as his eyebrows plaster against his hair line. He runs back "Is there a diver up?" . "No?". I notice Ken about 50 yards off, and scream up starboard... 4 o'clock. Wow! Thank goodness we didn't end up with two.

The captain offers me a 'rest' on his boat [where Lisa was] while our boat goes and gets Ken. A few minutes go by and we're all ready to jump in and head over to our boat. We gear up, jump in, and vooommm... there goes Ken and the boat off. Lisa is looking a little nervous, so I grab her tank and they throw a drift line in for us. Our boat is a good 400 yards away and to lighten up the mood I turn towards Lisa "I ain't swimm'in that!". They came back, we boarded and started surface searching some more while we discussed the plan. I point out that a drift dive might be a hell of a lot easier, and more apt to turn up something if she got caught in the current.

While we're discussing it, the Coast Guard comes on the radio and reports something that we didn't catch. We listen closer...
"Missing diver found safe on shore, currently at medical center on Block Island". Phew!

So we say our goodbyes, accept the thanks [no problem... just doing what we'd hope would be done for us], and head back to the Idene.

We're all a little freaked, and decide lets go for something a little basic... So Ken and I go down to get the grapple off the wreck... too bad, the vis was excellent!

We ended up the day with a drift dive on the east side of the island, searching for bugs. quite a few fish, a bunch of crayfish lookin' things... only smaller however, but nothing edible!

Oh well. Not the charter we were expecting... but no complaints!

Good to hear they found her. I hope that the medical treatment was for something minor.

Chad

yea... we had an interesting charter.

Like Spectre said... I caught the wreck with the hook, and it almost caught me :)

On our assistance dive to search for the missing diver, Lisa just couldn't clear... so I bounced back down to Spectre... back up to Lisa... she's surfaced and getting on the boat (the one with the missing diver, since we're going down their anchor line), and back down to Spectre on the bottom. Nice little current from surface to bottom. He clips off his reel.... off we go. Pretty good vis (20ft or so). I can see some good sized boulders off to the right... Look at spectre, look at the boulders, and decided to pop over for a quick look. I have my look under some little ledges, and look back and nothing... no Spectre. Tried to swim back in that direction... no good. Was making no headway against the current. Ok... after a minute or two of getting nowhere, except the wrong direction, up I go.... did my 3 min stop at 20 in the open figuring now I'm really drifting. Only concern was for what the others might be thinking... 1 missing, now another??? Had my safety sausage/whistle/plenty of air... no big deal... get to the surface and there's the boat... 50 or so yds away... took a bearing ... dropped down to 15 ft... tried for a minute... came up no closer... then somebody on the boat saw me, gave them an ok, and our boat came over to get me.

When spectre and my wife were getting in the water to switch back to our boat, a guy on the other boat said he saw something a couple hundred yds off... so we go to check it out. Damn mylar balloon. Back we go to pick up the other 2.

Was really good to hear they found the other diver... Not sure if she drifted to Block Island... .probably a 3 mile or so drift, or if another boat picked her up...

Something pretty funny when we bounce to the original wreck to retrieve the grapple.... it is hooked on some rope on the wreck where the mooring had broken off of :D

Nice drift dive to end our day... nice 8 hr charter instead of a 5 hr charter.

Good to hear.

Chad

raxafarian once bubbled...
probably just being checked out... the boat she was missing from said that she was found and ok.

*nod* I'm thinking of giving Jim a call in a week or so to see if he's able to collect up the full skinny... The current was ripping, but it was still a long way to the island, and as he said, the current curves and goes around, so that's a lot of surface fighting to get to shore. You'd think a boat would have radioed in saying they picked her up.

As well as the full skinny, I'd also like to know for sure that she was truely ok... After the last couple weeks, I really want to believe the accident wave is subsiding...

Story in this morning's Providence Journal:

she had surfaced 300yds from boat and current was too strong (I'll vouch for that). So she turned and headed for Block Is. When she got ashore, she knocked on the door of the first home she came to. She contacted Block Island police around noon, and they called the coast guard, who called the boat.

So yes.. she is ok.

Story is at bottom of pg. 1 of the local section... not sure if online or not.

Back
Top Bottom