"The Wetter The Better" save lionfish from death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

THEY HAVE TO GO - THEY NEED TO BE KILLED/REMOVED THEY WILL DO DAMAGE AND THEY DON'T BELONG HERE

There is no debate on the above statements

(Likely not their fault - its ours, mans - but sadly they need to suffer for our mistakes)

Guess you know where I stand, but however:

Unless you had a rock behind the lionfish to "pin" it no way are you going to just stab it with an knife - think about it

Wetter the Better is an excellent charter operator

Be careful doing the "Mike Nelson" tango on lionfish a la your dive knife - as much damage as they can do to fish populations, its not worth a sting.

Here is what REEF says in the link shown above:
Smaller fish are difficult to spear and, if you miss, you teach them to hide from divers.

If you are familiar with the area in West Palm it was on the inside edge of the reef next to the second communication cable south of the Trench. If anyone kills it I will pay a $20 reward to them.

Since you seem to know the area well, report the sighting here: Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts

Reporting every sighting can't hurt although I'm all for killing them, just do so at your own risk, using a knife is probaly not in your best interest.

It has been reported to reef.org. I would not want to get stung. I had one of these in an aquarium before. I know that their sting can be very painful and can send a person into afilactic shock. Some times you have to take risk to protect what you love. Besides that is what DAN is for.

I wasn't prepared to see one last weekend. I hope to be next time. I am trying to find or make a small 3' collapsible pole spear that can be conveniently carried on every dive. Since they are so brave it wouldn't take a large pole spear to take car of them.

I love Lionfish, they are beautiful animals. In their proper habitat.
I used to see them quite often in the Pacific/South China Sea, but here they must go. I am sure they did not migrate here, people brought them in, so people must take them out.
I was surprised when I got back on the boat Saturday to hear about the fight and the radio calls. Some training of what I take to be a well intentioned divemaster is in order.
I thought I had some nice pictures of it as well, but unfortunately, and for unknown reason, I shook the camera so none of my lionfish pictures came out.

Dunno what the DM was thinking. Either he does not know what these things do to the native populations on the reef. HE saw the diver with the short little dive knife and figured he'd save the guy a trip to the ER with a three times over swollen hand. The other possibility is he is just a tree hugging sissy foo and did not want to see any fish hurt.

Personally if he was trying to save the diver from most likely being stung.. I try to stop a diver by warning them under water with a stern face and finger pointing:no:

IF they then insist on doing something stupid I stand by and when they get jammed up, bit, stung or untangle I help them out. Unless we are talking Bullsharks then I do not care to be around for the after math..

I know that boat and operation and they have been working charters for many years. 9I recommend them highly). I would be interested to hear why the DM from another boat got involved???? I suspect that the DM was trying to protect the diver rather than the fish, but that is just a guess. Did they exlain themselves on the radio?

From what I could gather after getting back on the boat, there was no explanation, just accusations from the DM about one of our divers trying to kill the fish. Apparently another captain joined in and (as I understand it) had someone on his boat who was an expert and explained the issue over the radio.
All this happened while we were still diving, so our Captain/DM were the only ones on the boat.

It may be too late to stop the invasion and spread of this potentially disastrous species. I would not advocate that divers attempt to stab them with a knife, but would not be adverse in the least to having them killed quickly in a manner safe to the diver and other divers.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom