The Where on Earth is TallaDAYga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am a true Alabamian and I've always pronounced it TallaDayga. My wife and her family lived 30 miles outside of Talladega when I met her and they all pronounce it TallaDayga.

I've just gotten back from Beaufort NC. The pronounce it Bow-fort and in Beaufort South Carolina they pronounce it Bewfort

Most times I've heard it pronounced TallaDIGa, it's usually from someone slurring and drunken. heh.

I'm an true Alabamaian also and have always pronounced it TallaDayga. 99% of the rest of the people here pronouce it that way too.

however one other 'drunken' pronuctiation of it I've heard is 'Tallydega'.

According to this, the areas name Talledega came from a Creek Indian village.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~altallad/talladega-name.html

According to this, Talledega was the daughter of Chief Choccolocco (yes Choccolocco is a real indian name. One of the local scout councils was even named after it)
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenwe...g.txt?o_xid=12888&o_lid=12888&offerid=0:694:0

TallaDAYga here in Georgia as well. Funny...if you pronouced it TallaDIGa over here in GA you might get your ***** wooped!

Cheers,

TallaDAYga here and I live 8 miles from the Speedway.

Drive a few miles to the east from Bham and stop in a service station and ask where are we? The answer will be clear - D - A - I - R - Y Queenor better yet TallaDIGa. There are folks who say "I am from PrattVILLE or GreenVILLE, or luVERNE, or AHLAK City." I say you may live there but you ain't from there. IT'S PRATTvile or GREENvile or LOOverne and Eleck City. Makes no matter and can't be proven but if I were a news anchor in a local station I would ask how to pronounce the local towns. Can you imagine an anchor from somewhere else who tries to tell about a murder in Buyck, Alabama. According to the news, the town near Gadsden is ET AH lee AH.

I'm Originally From Gadsden About 20 Min. From Talledega , The Locals Pronounce It The Way It Is Spelled. Talla-dega . Its Actually A Nice Place With Alot Of Good People........

my family used to own the land the track was built on,old family farm from way back,they pronounce it like its spelled.

I always pronounced it: "...the-racetrack-on-the-way-to-Blue-Water-quarry-in-Pelham..."

I did a poll around my workplace of no less than fifty (50) native born Alabamians and they all agree on TallaDIGa. But now that is moot. I heard on the news tonight that there was an accident in OH PELL' ah kah. I know that all the southern diction police in OH pel EYE kah are having reflux. Like the moving finger - we move on to more important issues. Sorry about that. Next thing you know something will happen in tail LASSIE.

I don't care how you say it, I wanna go to the race this year. missed last year due to ex a/k/a dumbhead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom