Theoretically the most versatile gas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your implication is that the 23/20 is optimal, I'd disagree, with the 23/20 having an END of 125' vs 75' for the 18/45(O2 considered as narcotic). Why would you consider doing either without accelerated deco?

Hold on a second. I'm not saying 23/20 is the optimal gas, I'm trying to get the OP to see the difference in deco obligation in a lost gas situation. If you're mixing your own gas, you might as well optimize the O2. I picked He @ 20 because it's far closer to the OP's claimed experience level, versus some of previously quoted mixes.

It is my observation that most people don't realize the impact of a few percent of oxygen at the depth considered by the discusssion. By pushing the O2 from 18 to 23, we see a significant difference in lost gas deco. I find that interesting and it would certainly impact how I would mix the gas.

Just doing some ideal quick calculations and was surprised to see that only one percentage of oxygen (18%) is neither hypoxic or toxic at any depth up to 65m.

I would not get too hung up on the hypoxia issue. I have a Shearwater Predator, and it gives me a hypoxia warning whenever my PP02 is to low. I have been doing a lot of local dives on air recently, and I am amused to get that warning as soon as I input 21% O2, while I am still on shore. That is because it adjusts for altitude. According to that standard, at my altitude, the air I breathe every day is hypoxic. I am not even really at high altitude for Colorado. When I dive in a mountain lake, the air I breathe before I get in the water is severely hypoxic. Somehow I live.

I am with Kev on 20/20. It takes the edge off 60m (200ft) dives with an acceptable END 43m (140ft) that does not cost a fortune. You can stick any other gas in your mouth without ICD worries and will produce less deco than 18/45. Works for me!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom