TheWetArchaeologist, new and in need of advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured the field school would provide the AAUS training, and it is likely to be quite tailored in terms of having a heavy focus on skills you will need to do science underwater. One of our members here on SB, Thalassamania is an expert on training AAUS divers, so you might drop him a PM. He may also have advice in regard to equipment. I also think your field school will probably give you lots of opportunity to build up your dive experience as Stewart is suggesting. And it's a given that the people training you and working with you at the field school will be able to tell you a good deal about institutions, degree programs, employment/volunteer opportunities. I think you're making a good first step! Another one of our members here, BurhanMuntasser was recently asking about programs like this, so he may have gathered some information that he's willing to share as well (I think he wants to develop the field in his home country). Best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the advice this site is awesome. Just to let you know part of the field school gets me AAUS scientific certification. I am doing the online courses right now, along with CPR, First aid, and Emergency O2 courses. When we get to Bermuda I'll take the final test and while down there I will do the 12 dives to get my full AAUS certification. I hope to keep on top of it and renew it every year. I will definitely look into some of PADI's tech/rec courses. Keep the advice coming.

I figured the field school might offer AAUS or some other recognized authority scientific diving credential. It would be hard to imagine having an underwater scuba component without it.

Sounds like you are taking the initial steps into entering the profession. Along the way you will meet some pretty fabulous people. My "100 hours course" instructor recently passed away and I learned a ton of good stuff from him. He was a good friend. I hope you meet those kind of people along the way, you probably will.

A friend I used to dive with was an anthro major. A well known terrestrial archaeologist he had a class from dismissively told him there were no jobs in marine archaeology. My buddy did not believe him. He got his 100 hours class, started volunteering mapping wrecks, and went to grad school as well as working other jobs in the field. Twenty years later he is still working. You are going run into people who tell you it can't be done. If you believe them, it won't be done. Nothing is guaranteed. But if you don't start, you can't finish. I know this sounds like a bunch of truisms.

If you are interested in government work or consulting, see if your school has a course in environmental analysis, the National Environmental Policy Act, complying with the National Historic Preservation Act or some such course. It is another tool to add to your tool box. I have taught some of these courses and had to hire people to do those jobs. Having this experience may make your job application stand out among the dozens that may come in.

Technical skills are great... for tech diving and there is little crossover to the skills required for survey.

Things like circular search patterns, taking measurements, drawing and photography are not taught on any tech course I am aware of. These are the skills you will need underwater and to be honest technical skills will not help you accomplish this any quicker than just gaining experience with more diving.

Ok good to know, I was going to do some technical skill training so I could find work if there were no Maritime Archaeology jobs I could get, but after hearing all of you guys say there is work I'll probably focus on just the site survey skills. Next year I was thinking about attending the MAST Nautical Archaeology workshop during the summer it teaches alot of the site survey skills you are talking about. Covediver I'll definitely look into an environmental analysis next semester.

Technical skills are great... for tech diving and there is little crossover to the skills required for survey.

Things like circular search patterns, taking measurements, drawing and photography are not taught on any tech course I am aware of. These are the skills you will need underwater and to be honest technical skills will not help you accomplish this any quicker than just gaining experience with more diving.

I would think that really fine tuning your trim and buoyancy as well as mastering the various kicks would be a no brainer as far as cross-over skills. I am right now in a more 'rec' track for diving and around here these things and the instruction into was minimal.

If you really want to nail out buoyancy/trim and some kicks a GUE Primer may up your alley. It is lot shorter (about a day) and cheaper (around $300 compared to Fundies costing around $1k). The whole idea of class is to get you really set in kicks, trim and buoyancy. As John pointed out these skills may be of great importance as much as laying line and searching grids etc.

I would think that really fine tuning your trim and buoyancy as well as mastering the various kicks would be a no brainer as far as cross-over skills. I am right now in a more 'rec' track for diving and around here these things and the instruction into was minimal.

Trim is next to pointless for survey. There is really no need to have perfect trim when taking down measurements, you are only scoring brownie points with yourself.

Have a look at a few photos around of excavations in the Med. You will see divers walking around on the sand without fins to get the task done. So mastering fin kicks is again only for your personal benefit, yet unrelated to the task in hand.

I am talking from experience as I work as a Maritime Archaeologist

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 02:50 PM ----------

Ok good to know, I was going to do some technical skill training so I could find work if there were no Maritime Archaeology jobs I could get, but after hearing all of you guys say there is work I'll probably focus on just the site survey skills. Next year I was thinking about attending the MAST Nautical Archaeology workshop during the summer it teaches alot of the site survey skills you are talking about. Covediver I'll definitely look into an environmental analysis next semester.

NAS (Nautical Archaeology Society) training may also be beneficial, but I don't think that it has a presence in the States.

---------- Post added June 11th, 2013 at 02:50 PM ----------

NAS (Nautical Archaeology Society) training may also be beneficial, but I don't think that it has a presence in the States.[/QUOTE]

We do get it from time to time. I was able to do the NAS foreshore in Anchorage Alaska of all places a few years back. The Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary has offered the certification at other times. It is hard to find but well worth the look.

Cool Ill take a look. I want to get all the training I can. Thanks for all the help! Any advice you can give me about equipment or future education grad school etc and any other advice you can give me about training I would love to hear it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom