Think I made a poor decision.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i wonder how much the cold water breathing technique could affect the "mk25 problems in the cold"?

the military (in this case the Navy) is pretty specific about the equipment it approves and what for - I would imagine if the mk25 was not good for 38°F it would not be approved for that but for a higher temp. Do they teach specific cold water techniques - probably so....

The G250V, if it's anything like the original G250 it's modeled on, is a great 2nd stage that you will love. As far as cold water and the MK25, lots of people use them. You might keep the IP down at 125PSI; that's a common adjustment for cold water, supposedly it can slow down the flow a little (believe me, there's plenty to spare) and help to prevent a freeze up, but since anything under 68F is out of my realm, I can only pass on what I've heard.

My understanding is also that alot of freezing problems occur (or start) at the surface; wet reg, below freezing air temps, etc. If you're in relatively warm water until you get under the thermocline, that might help too. I wouldn't be too worried. If worst comes to worst, you can buy a MK5 or MK10 on ebay and fill it up with silicone or christolube; total cost under $75 and you'll have a killer spare.

You said the reg was on LayAway? You haven't taken delivery? If so why not discuss it with the folks at the shop? Just tell them the reg may be fine but you just don't have confidence in it and would prefer to change.

Bet they will make the change with no problem at all. After all by making the change they make a Really Good Customer who will blab all over about how willing they were. Of course if there is any money diffference it is only fair you settle that up when you make the swap.

On the other hand, if they give you a hard time you can tuck that in your filing cabinet for when it is time to make the next decision.

In short: It is up to them to provide outstanding customer service. It is up to you to pay a fair price for that service.

Go back to the shop and change it to an Apeks DS4 enviormently sealed 1st stage and and an X50 2nd, Its what we use up here in Canada for diving under the ice.Also dont breath thru the reg until you are under the water.

Hey nobody said anything about the MK25 AF ( Antifreeze ).Veins on the 1st stage ambient pressure chamber, a spring and piston change, and insulating materials included in the overhaul kits.
Works well in Alaska.
My buddies old MK25 froze at 80 feet. 39F degree water.
The new ones have yet to freeze. 2 years old
If your Diving Cold Water <39F, MK 17/250V Otherwise the MK25 AF 600/250v will do nicely.
I dive a MK10/Bal. 109's
Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom