Think your weekend of diving sucks / Read this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch, that’s got to leave some emotional bruising.
I wonder if the this pipe is gravity fed. I can’t imagine the woman surviving a ride through a pump.

Don Burke:
The way I read the article, the pipe in question is 2500 feet long, extends 1700 feet into the lake, and is 96 inches in diameter.

Ooops. Sorry, I mixed it up with the numbers for the Board of Public Works treatment plant. Still, 1,700 feet is a pretty good distance from shore. Oh and the revised flow rate would be 113,097 USGPM -- one heck of a wet vac!

Heffey:
Ouch, that’s got to leave some emotional bruising.
I wonder if the this pipe is gravity fed. I can’t imagine the woman surviving a ride through a pump.

Good point. I wonder how these are fed.

derwoodwithasherwood:
Ummm, yeah, riiiiiight... The diver is at fault because she should have stayed away from the unmarked, unprotected hazard hiding 4,500 feet from shore and sucking a current of 6 feet per second through a 42" pipe. That works out to 21,647 US gallons per minute. Pretty good vacuum I bet. She definitely should have turned around and swam the other way when the current first grabbed her.
i agree not the divers fault of course, wanted to make that clear before i ask this question, IF THERE WAS a screen on this pipe would there be a strong enough sucktion to pin a diver to the screen and then hold them there in place?

I think she demonstrated skills beyond the requirements of AOW and Master Diver and should be automaticly upgraded to both levels of higher certification.

On the other hand, she was a national threat to our country by breaching the security of a power plant. Therefor she should have been arrested, interrogated, all her assets seized, and locked up in prison with the talaban. And her dive buddy should also be arrested for being a co-conspirator.

to the lady from Port Sheldon , R. E. S. P. E. C. T.

Still can't believe this, amazing.

I don't know what's worse, tumbling through the darkness, or the thought of arriving at the source of the suction. I can't imagine this being a gravity fed system, so on the face of it, she appears to have been sucked through a pump pf some sort. And then to further the thought, anyone who has dove in Lake Michigan knows of the hazard of zebra mussells. Most intake pipes are covered with them; a major problem. So, picture being tumbled down a dark, razor lined tunnel and eventually arriving at a giant blender. Now, get out of the pond with only a bloody nose. Needless to say, I'm very, very impressed.

Wow,
and I thought having my brother lock me in the dryer for 30 seconds, and turning it on when I was a kid, was a bad ride. :11:

I can't even imagine.

Back
Top Bottom