Thinking about a compressor - I have questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you figure in maintanence costs... power (fuel), filter changes, oil changes (compressor oil is spendy), possilbe repairs and such? Operations costs can add up and really extend that payback time.
My power bill averages $26 a month, so power is not an issue, thanks to a 34 year old meter, spinning very slowly. My friend buys the filters and oil. The only repair I have had to perform is making a new aluminum distribution block from scratch, for a cost of less than $4. Either way at $10 a fill X4 tanks in a weekend, I will still come out ahead long term. Did I mention you can't get nitrox any where in my county? If/when I ever decide to dive trimix, the savings would be HUGE!

With care, the filter elements aren't likely to ever need replacing, or perhaps only over several-yearly cycles.
I sure hope you realize air filter(s) need to be serviced regularly (Personally I wouldn't consider one small filter enough either). They pull water, oil, CO, along with other contaminants from the breathing air. Since you own a Rix, I would highly recommend the Air Speed Press book, Oxyhackers Guide. It will help cover some of the important things you need to know about air compressors for breathing air.

The cost of compressor ownership is greatly exaggerated. Initial purchase cost is high but if a repackable filter is used maintenance and operation cost are minimal. The secret to getting a good return on investment is how long a diving career you plan on having. With a 50 year diving career and still using a compressor I bought in 1967 I am way ahead of the game.

I sure hope you realize air filter(s) need to be serviced regularly (Personally I wouldn't consider one small filter enough either). They pull water, oil, CO, along with other contaminants from the breathing air. Since you own a Rix, I would highly recommend the Air Speed Press book, Oxyhackers Guide. It will help cover some of the important things you need to know about air compressors for breathing air.
With the RIX, the major contaminants are water and possibly CO - there's no hydrocarbon in the compressor circuit. The water element is rechargeable, and at any rate, I have yet to saturate one, and water is only of concern for the tank's health. The combo water/CO 2nd element will need replacing at some point, but I get very little CO in my intake so I'm not concerned with filter replacement over the short run - even without the filter, I never had a tank that would register on the CO meter, and the intake is now even more removed from the engine exhaust.

im starting to look for compressor. the nearest dive shop is 60 miles away. I have worked on Black beards cruises/worked in dive shop/and was a diver at flagler beach aquarium. I filled many tanks. but trying to justify 4000 to my old lady would get me killed. any suggestions.

distort the truth

Reactions: Tug
distort the truth

I think it was on the deco stop where someone mentioned critical mass. Once you have enough gear your wife won't notice when the UPS guy drops off another tank, or compressor....

Ive also been considering this. I have a place "at the shore" in NJ. The closest dive shop is about 45 - 60 min away and if we are diving consecutive days, it is unlikely that we even get home in time to get there for a fill. When the weekend is over - we take our tanks all the wya home to get filled form the LDS. The advantage here is that he never charges us for air. BUT - is the free air worth luggin all those tanks all over the place?

I have another guy that will go in on it - but I want to understand maintenance and monitoring of the quality of the air a little better. I would prefer a gas compressor - so we could "top off' our doubles between dives. How do you monitor the air for CO?

Who sells the RIX. From what Ive seen - I can get a maxair for like 3300. How much for the Rix (I like the idea of oil free) - I havent seen it listed on most of the websites that sell compressors

Ive also been considering this. I have a place "at the shore" in NJ. The closest dive shop is about 45 - 60 min away and if we are diving consecutive days, it is unlikely that we even get home in time to get there for a fill. When the weekend is over - we take our tanks all the wya home to get filled form the LDS. The advantage here is that he never charges us for air. BUT - is the free air worth luggin all those tanks all over the place?

I have another guy that will go in on it - but I want to understand maintenance and monitoring of the quality of the air a little better. I would prefer a gas compressor - so we could "top off' our doubles between dives. How do you monitor the air for CO?

I have been filling with a gas powered portable for going on 45 years and I don't monitor for CO. The engine exhaust points down the compressor intake snorkel is 5 feet high and the compressor is positioned with the exhaust downwind of the intake, never had issues.

RIX is about twice the price of the others, new, but I suppose it also pumps a little faster (the SA6). There's also the SA3 which is slower and presumably cheaper, but I've never heard much about those. $2-$3K is possible for a used SA6.

For monitoring, I just bought an industrial CO meter for $150 or so, and stuck it in a gallon ziplock, then inflated the baggie from the tank post - not elegant but you get plenty of dwell time for the meter to read that way. The minimum CO on most meters is down around 5ppm, at least when I bought mine, and I never had at tank that read anything. You can find meters that may read down to 1 ppm, but it's not a simple matter to verify performance at the limit of detection, so until good proof is offered, I figure 5 ppm is something you can probably count on.

To my thinking the problem with monitoring is unless it is continuous it is just a snapshot of what was happening at that time. Five minutes earlier or later could produce a different result. Good compressor maintenance, location and situational awareness in regard to possible sources of CO or any contaminant when pumping is your best protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom