Question Trying to decide between an electric powered or gasoline powered MCH-6 Icon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Coltri Icon MCH-6 manual says...

1. CHECK the oil every 5 hours.
2. CHANGE the oil every 50 hours or annually.

50 hours at about 3 fills per hour is about 150 fills per oil change. The sump holds .6 liters of oil. Filtertechs sells oil for $26 per quart... Which translates to about $16 per oil change. $16 divided by 150 fills is about 11 cents per fill.
Oh Dear here we go again. How to Start to unravel the above post.

One quick answer would be If you do take SurfLungs advise here just be aware that
SurfLung is advising you use Filtertech cheaper Seco Lube 500 oil at $26
While Coltri supply their own oil the Coltri ST 755 at $45
Now you can take SurfLungs advise above or you can read the Coltri manual
And if you do it states quite clearly:

WARNING: Maintenance and repairs must only be carried out using original spare parts.
AEROTECNICA COLTRI SpA cannot be held liable for any damages caused by failure to observe this rule.

You just can't have it both ways. Iain

The Coltri Icon MCH-6 manual says...
50 hours at about 3 fills per hour
No sorry. The manual you listed also says clearly that the Coltri ICON LSE 50 EM single phase
takes 60 minutes, one hour to fill a single 10 litre water capacity cylinder to 200 bar
That is 2000 litres of compressed air and in proper English 70.62 cubic feet.

Full details are required if you're going to continue with this fanboy response. Iain

"...in the presence of such a wealth of information..." Man they have sure got YOU fooled.

"...in the presence of such a wealth of information..." Man they have sure got YOU fooled.
“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”

Well I think that's about it for me. I posted a link to the actual manual, which Iain has shown he either doesn't know how to read or is deliberately misrepresenting it. I suggest you read it yourself. Good bye and good luck.

Well I think that's about it for me. I posted a link to the actual manual, which Iain has shown he either doesn't know how to read or is deliberately misrepresenting it. I suggest you read it yourself. Good bye and good luck.
``Well there goes the neighborhood. When Ian and T-Bone show up all semblance of a reasonable conversation goes out the door. Frankly I think the best approach is to just skip over them and move on." (SurfLung post no: 13)

SurfLung
With a post like the one you made quoted above and from others earlier what did you expect was going to happen.

Now I do urge you to see this post through and we will all end up with an agreed consensus.
As for the Coltri manual link you posted earlier all I have done is make direct reference and copy the exact wording from the manual.

Let me remind you with another example that the OP was interested and since has ordered a MCH-6 with Petrol engine. At some point I was going to advise him before he flounced off that the degree angle of inclination allowed with the Coltri is not the best choice of compressor to buy with a Petrol (Gas) engine drive especially for a breathing air application. Now thanks to your manual link I can confidently copy from the Coltri manual:

"IMPORTANT: The compressor must be placed on a solid surface with a tilt of no more than 5°."

That being so it makes the Coltri totally unsuitable for a live aboard or Yacht

Now by contrast consider the commercial alternative portable compressor options that allows a massive 62° degrees of inclination and in both pitch and roll even off a rolling deck and ask yourself is it any wonder why I am against this Coltri model of compressor for our breathing air and scuba applications.

Stick with us all here on the thread we may even get around to complete your filter indicator card problem. Don't flounce off like the OP did. Kind Regards Iain

Iain has been banned on other forums for his misguided point of view.

These compressors are used throughout the world without incident, but in the USA they are death traps. I don’t think so.

These compressors are used throughout the world without incident, but in the USA they are death traps. I don’t think so.
I think you would be foolish to ignore advice from those with years/decades of experience

At a minimum you should review this: Blame Normalization of Deviance, Not "Complacency" | Dive Gear Express®

You may be too young to remember this from Dirty Harry
Edit: Full disclosure I have a RIX-3SA and one of my primary motivations for getting it was that it cannot produce CO

Edward3C. Advanced Diver. Advanced Instructor. Dive with us BSAC. and Chairman of the BSAC

This is a bit low don't you think? Telling the forum about me getting banned, all this now. Why.

Getting banned on a diving forum (thediveforum.com) of which I had been a member since 2014
for a point of view. Misguided or not are not grounds for banning a member. So tell me how does that happen. How can you be banned on a divers forum for as you say a "misguided point of view".
Please explain this fully to us all, however if you won't you will not like the truth or the reply.

Further when you consider that you and the other Coltri "ambassadors" on here have done nothing but tweet misguided views since the get go. Yet in contrast I'm still very happy to hear your points of view on the COLTRI compressors and discuss further and in detail all points even those not yet raised.
So please don't flounce off I'm looking forward to your points of view.

Oh and congratulations in your new position as: Edward Haynes Chairman no less of the British Sub Aqua Club BSAC well done sir. :rolleyes: Iain

Would it be crazy to underdrive one of these by changing the pulleys? Drop the RPM, wait a lot longer for fills, less heat and CO? Or add more effective cooling somehow?

Back
Top Bottom