Question Trying to decide between an electric powered or gasoline powered MCH-6 Icon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a problem. I need a compressor.

I have purchased a Coltri compressor, now I have two problems.
While hilarious, you can't dump on everything coltri. They make some very decent machines. Especially when you consider the price point against other machines.
Unfortunately their cheapest machine is also their best selling machine and they get slighted because the two are associated.
I have seen some mch13/16 with a LOT of hours on them. I have a couple of them in my garage with over 9000 hours.

Wouldn't it be cool if dive forums were full of car forum people
Great information no matter how delivered is still in formation!

That's it I'm out!

Air quality from an MCH6/ICON should not be an issue. My unit has the standard filter+PMV+a personal filter(total of two filter cartridges), and it pumps out OCA, CO was less than 0.5ppm and moisture was only 2.3ppm. This is tested by a lab, not by an air-quality test tube. I believe having the additional filter helps significantly. MCH6/ICON is fine, juts be aware of the following
1. Filter needs to be replaced every 7-8 hours, it will not last until 12 hours
2. Oil needs to be replaced every 15-20 hours, it will not last until 25 hours
3. Run the pump at least a few times every month, this will heat up the pump and get rid of any moisture trapped in the oil
4. Don't use it for doubles, and 4500psi SCBA, Don't fill continuously. If you use it for doubles and SCBAs, do it in stages(Max 30min on 30min off). I prefer 20min on 30min off.
5. Go easy with all the threads, It seems like it is made from a softer aluminum
6.Definitely change the filter tower every 3000 hours or 15 years, it's only 300$ don't cheap out on it if it's already serving you for 15 years

Air quality from an MCH6/ICON should not be an issue. My unit has the standard filter+PMV+a personal filter(total of two filter cartridges), and it pumps out OCA, CO was less than 0.5ppm and moisture was only 2.3ppm. This is tested by a lab, not by an air-quality test tube. I believe having the additional filter helps significantly. MCH6/ICON is fine, juts be aware of the following
3. Run the pump at least a few times every month, this will heat up the pump and get rid of any moisture trapped in the oil
4. Don't use it for doubles, and 4500psi SCBA, Don't fill continuously. If you use it for doubles and SCBAs, do it in stages(Max 30min on 30min off). I prefer 20min on 30min off.
5. Go easy with all the threads, It seems like it is made from a softer aluminum
6.Definitely change the filter tower every 3000 hours or 15 years, it's only 300$ don't cheap out on it if it's already serving you for 15 years
All correct ^^^
Also make sure you use a triplex cartridge
And get yourself a CO meter

Allow me to correct this for you. From the bottom up for convenance.

6. Or change manufacturer and change the filter tower every 15,000 hours
it's only $600 don't cheap out on it LOL Iain

Again allow me to correct this for you.

5. Or change the brand of compressor to a properly designed breathing air compressor like the Rix SA-3 or SA-6 discussed elsewhere in the forum who uses stainless steel helicoil threaded inserts into the aluminium block so you can torque the thread up properly. And if you ever gaul up the stainless threads you can simply replace them with hand tools for under $3 dollars each. Just saying Iain

All other discussions aside, per hour of operation how many 100 hp tanks can be filled?

Simply said. Don't buy the Coltri MCH 6 or ICON if your a diver.
Leave it for the paint ball air gun folk or the poor folk who have them doing 40 fills a year at best.

Beggars the question what happens to the moisture created during this re heat fiasco.
So to get rid of the old water that condensed out into your oil. You re run the COLTRI compressor again a few times every month as suggested to boil off the old accumulated water only to find that during the time taken to boil off the old water it has been replace with new water condensate while you were re running it these few times a month. You sure about this? Maybe you wanna change the oil at the same time just to be safe and not rust up the piston and liner that sits half in and half out the oil bath. Maybe an oil change every hour just to be safe ROFL Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom